C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Bang for the buck mods - 92 ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:21 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho_ZR1
Wow how the heck do you break 4.10 gears? That's gotta be scary!
From what I have been told the previous owner had made a number of passes with slicks on those 4.10 gears. They were "Savage Gears" brand and were installed in 1994. The day they broke wasn't from a hard launch. I was running one of my favorite deserted backroads and heard a "thunck" at about 120 mph. Nothing changed or sounded different immiediatly after that but a I pulled over and took a look at the rear diff anyway. From what I could see the vent was putting out a little gear lube. A few weeks later when things started to sound unhealthy I pulled it apart to see what the problem was. That is when I discovered the "thunck" was the sound a broken off tooth of ring gear makes when when it passes under the ring gear. That sound was a small crack being created in the bottom of the housing from the wedge like event that occurred. It also cracked the housing just above the output shafts on both sides.
I had the housing heliarced and its been sitting on the shelf for the last 6 years.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
I never removed the 3.07s from my car because I always think I will be running in an ORR event. I only use 6th to make sure it is still there!
Well, different strokes for different folks, but this begs the question, "What kind of driving are you really doing with this car?"
The guy with 3.07's has an ideal gear to go out and set a top speed mark, (in 5th gear), every time he leaves the driveway. But ends up with a useless 6th gear, try to cruise in 6th at 80mph with the 3.07's = 1,575rpm, the ZR1 does not like this at all.
I'm the guy at the other end of the spectrum. I want decent mileage at highway speed, and great acceleration in first through fourth.
With 4.56 gears you can cruise at 80mph in 6th gear at 2,300rpm., not too high for decent mileage, but perfect for the qtr. mile. You would be running through the time traps in fourth gear at less than 7,200rpm around 120mph.
I have 4.10's in my car, a compromise for better mileage, that allow me to run the qtr. at just over 117mph around 6,300rpm. With those gears i've got another 900 rpm's to go before the rev limiter kicks in, not ideal.
My point is, we have a transmission with a .490 top gear, the LT5 will never be buzzing it's little heart out when we have a 6th gear that can, (theoretically), take it to 320mph at the red line with the stock ratio.[/QUOTE]

To answer your 1st question... I just drive it. Last time I ran my car in the quarter was in 2006 in Vegas when the West Coast ZR-1 Net met at The Strip.

1st is good for 66 mph though I usually shift it a little short when running it hard. 2nd is good for 98 mph so this makes for a nice pull ( 50 to 100 ) at highway speeds when the opportunity presents itself. 3rd is good for 137 and the party is usually over by then.
The wide torque band of our LT5 makes acceleration pretty consistant past 4200 rpm imho.

Seems to me we have covered the "acceleration" factor as it pertains to different gear ratios here at one time or another though it has been a while. Your favorite ratio ( 4.56 OR 4.10 ) combined with good traction does make the car launch better due to the the amount of torque that can be effectively used to move the car. Once traction is no longer a factor the rate of acceleration diminishes considerably between gear ratios. Like I said before, 4.10s are a fun gear to drive! I would like to use a 3.90 gear sometime just to see how well 2nd gear stays hooked, or unhooked as it sometimes is.

BTW... if you like doing long smokey burnouts 3.07 are great!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 AM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MY son put on a Chambered Exhaust from Allens in Indiana on his 92' and took about an 4hrs (broke one of the DAMN bolts in the flange and took forever to drill out) other wise about an hour or less to change out and install (due have a 4 post lift to use). Man coudn't be happier it helped to awaken the "BEAST" . Now it rumbles and crackles when you get on it, it has the muffler eliminators also; so it did away with resonator and mufflers it is quiet on the road. NO DRONE and now you now it is there. Hell my wife likes driving it now, she says it now sounds like a CORVETTE.

wro87
Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

My new ZR-1 has 4.10s, I'll give you an opinion on them after the drive back to Dallas.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:49 PM
BBExhaust
Supporting Manufacturer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nacho

We have seen increases of 30hp and 35ftlbs of torque with our 3" cat back system on an otherwise stock ZR-1. Our system is manufactured from 100% T304 stainless steel and is a direct bolt on system and comes standard with a center resonator or you can get an x-pipe in place of the res for no additional cost. For more information you can visit our website www.bbexhaust.com or contact me directly at mark@bbexhaust.com.

Mark Fowler
Billy Boat Performance Exhaust
888-228-7435 Ext.18
mark@bbexhaust.com

Last edited by BBExhaust; 11-29-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:11 PM
pantera1683
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can vouch for the B&Bs with X-pipe, they sound downright mean and the quality is top notch. I love mine!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
My new ZR-1 has 4.10s, I'll give you an opinion on them after the drive back to Dallas.
Yes I'd be curious to know. I travel out of town during the week so when I do drive the Z, it'll be on weekends. I suspect I will do the occasional blast down the quarter mile and just have general fun around town (so gas mileage isn't too much of a concern). I just don't want to put gears and lose any type of performance considering my goal is to keep the car naturally aspirated with no nitrous or supercharger...at least not yet ;-)
Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Some people consider it sacrilege to put lower gears in a ZR-1, as it takes away from it's 'high speed' finesse, but like others have said, it all depends on what you want to do.

Based on your last post re: driving it on the weekends and occasional drag racing, 4.10s (or even 4.56s) are a heck of an idea. Personally, other than increased rear tire wear, I cannot think of a single negative based on your intended use with the car.

With headers, 4.10s, B&B (with X pipe), a chip, and sticky tires, I ran 12.0s at 117-118mph (in good air) myriad times. There is no doubt, had I been willing to more aggressively launch the car it would have run 11s with those minimum mods. With the same exact mods, including the aforementioned more aggressive launch (1.67 if memory serves) I ran 11.90@118 in Darin D's 94 ZR-1 at Ennis, TX several years ago. He has a video of it somewhere.

I now have the top end ported by Corey Henderson, and there is no doubt the car is stronger. As such, I feel it would run 11.8 or even a high 11.7@120 now in the fall air. However, my car has been retired from racing, and given my current work schedule, I'm lucky to even drive it these days, let alone take it to the strip. Each October I think about it, some one of these days... All the strips are closed for the year here in Indiana. Maybe in 2011....

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock

Last edited by ZR WON; 11-30-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR WON
Some people consider it sacrilege to put lower gears in a ZR-1, as it takes away from it's 'high speed' finesse, but like others have said, it all depends on what you want to do.

Based on your last post re: driving it on the weekends and occasional drag racing, 4.10s (or even 4.56s) are a heck of an idea. Personally, other than increased rear tire wear, I cannot think of a single negative based on your intended use with the car.

With headers, 4.10s, B&B (with X pipe), a chip, and sticky tires, I ran 12.0s at 117-118mph (in good air) myriad times. There is no doubt, had I been willing to more aggressively launch the car it would have run 11s with those minimum mods. With the same exact mods, including the aforementioned more aggressive launch (1.67 if memory serves) I ran 11.90@118 in Darin D's 94 ZR-1 at Ennis, TX several years ago. He has a video of it somewhere.

I now have the top end ported by Corey Henderson, and there is no doubt the car is stronger. As such, I feel it would run 11.8 or even a high 11.7@120 now in the fall air. However, my car has been retired from racing, and given my current work schedule, I'm lucky to even drive it these days, let alone take it to the strip. Each October I think about it, some one of these days... All the strips are closed for the year here in Indiana. Maybe in 2011....

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Brian, those are VERY impressive times!!!! May I ask what brand of chip and sticky tires you used? I am thinking that maybe one day, i can buy some lightweight Weld racing wheels with skinny front runners and see what times I can throw down at the track. I haven't been to Ennis in several years. I suspect that even now, I may only go 2 or 3 times a year if that. The idea of a broken down ZR1 makes me teary eyed

Also, how does the Z compare to the Z06? Just curious....
Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Nacho:

Those runs were made with Hoosier Quick Times in a 16" size (they no longer make them, now called Quick Time Pros). I can tell you that a bias ply rear tire combined with a radial front makes for a *real* interesting ride on the top end. The Quick Time Pros are awesome tires; I'm not sure why more people don't run them (MT ET Streets are the norm). If I recall, Curtis Ward once pulled a 1.51 60' time with his Quick Time Pros on nitrous (en route to an 11.0 run), but maybe he'll see this post and comment with first hand knowledge.

Don't be too worried about breaking the LT5 motor. In all the ZR-1 Weekends in Bowling Green, KY I've ever attended (over 15), the only issue I've ever seen was with the trans and diff (even that was rare). These engines really are amazing, even in wildy modified form. I still remember back in '95 or '6 asking SW what RPM he was shifting his 415 en route to the mid 10s (fast for the time). I really had no response when I heard "8000." For anyone who knows the bore/stroke ratio of a 415 (and what that should mean to the engines ability to rev), it's even more mind boggling, and a testament to the engines durability.

Re: the ZR-1 vs. Z06, I don't want to start that debate all over again, but having owned and raced both extensively (and being a fair country driver), there is NO WAY a stock ZR-1 can keep up with a Z06 in the quarter mile. In fact, I'm not sure a ZR-1 would catch up until well north of 150mph. I ran my ZR-1 50 or more times stock and turned a best of 12.89 (which was a fluke; hell, I'm not even sure the timing lights were accurate, as my previous bests up to that point were 13.0s). The 4th run *ever* in the Z06 (stock air filter, stock tires, 35 pounds of pressure in the rear, 9000 miles) netted a 12.32@116. Best ET stock was 12.227@115. Keep in mind this is a 2001, with *only* 385hp... Any well driven '02 and up is an 11 second car factory stock. Quite honestly, I think if I hadn't started changing things on my '01 I could have eeked out an 11.999 on a perfect run (60ft time on the 12.2 run was 1.99).

In short, both are great cars, but time marches on. The new Z06 is a 10second car stock if driven well, and to me, that's the most amazing thing of all. 15 years ago it cost you 40+K for a ZR-1, and another 50K for a LPE 415 to run in the 10s. Now, you can spend 45K on a 2006 Z06, and with little more than tires and intake run high 10s on a good night. Technology truly is amazing.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06, not quite stock

P.S. At the time of the 12.0 runs, I had a Marc Randolph chip (he was big into ZR-1s years ago, is still around, but like the rest of us 'old timers' just has more pressing things consuming him at this juncture). I now have a calibration from Corey to match the top end porting.

Last edited by ZR WON; 11-30-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: post script addition
Old 11-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR WON
Nacho:

Those runs were made with Hoosier Quick Times in a 16" size (they no longer make them, now called Quick Time Pros). I can tell you that a bias ply rear tire combined with a radial front makes for a *real* interesting ride on the top end. The Quick Time Pros are awesome tires; I'm not sure why more people don't run them (MT ET Streets are the norm). If I recall, Curtis Ward once pulled a 1.51 60' time with his Quick Time Pros on nitrous (en route to an 11.0 run), but maybe he'll see this post and comment with first hand knowledge.

Don't be too worried about breaking the LT5 motor. In all the ZR-1 Weekends in Bowling Green, KY I've ever attended (over 15), the only issue I've ever seen was with the trans and diff (even that was rare). These engines really are amazing, even in wildy modified form. I still remember back in '95 or '6 asking SW what RPM he was shifting his 415 en route to the mid 10s (fast for the time). I really had no response when I heard "8000." For anyone who knows the bore/stroke ratio of a 415 (and what that should mean to the engines ability to rev), it's even more mind boggling, and a testament to the engines durability.

Re: the ZR-1 vs. Z06, I don't want to start that debate all over again, but having owned and raced both extensively (and being a fair country driver), there is NO WAY a stock ZR-1 can keep up with a Z06 in the quarter mile. In fact, I'm not sure a ZR-1 would catch up until well north of 150mph. I ran my ZR-1 50 or more times stock and turned a best of 12.89 (which was a fluke; hell, I'm not even sure the timing lights were accurate, as my previous bests up to that point were 13.0s). The 4th run *ever* in the Z06 (stock air filter, stock tires, 35 pounds of pressure in the rear, 9000 miles) netted a 12.32@116. Best ET stock was 12.227@115. Keep in mind this is a 2001, with *only* 385hp... Any well driven '02 and up is an 11 second car factory stock. Quite honestly, I think if I hadn't started changing things on my '01 I could have eeked out an 11.999 on a perfect run (60ft time on the 12.2 run was 1.99).

In short, both are great cars, but time marches on. The new Z06 is a 10second car stock if driven well, and to me, that's the most amazing thing of all. 15 years ago it cost you 40+K for a ZR-1, and another 50K for a LPE 415 to run in the 10s. Now, you can spend 45K on a 2006 Z06, and with little more than tires and intake run high 10s on a good night. Technology truly is amazing.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06, not quite stock

P.S. At the time of the 12.0 runs, I had a Marc Randolph chip (he was big into ZR-1s years ago, is still around, but like the rest of us 'old timers' just has more pressing things consuming him at this juncture). I now have a calibration from Corey to match the top end porting.
Wow very nice times! I am not a 'hater' when it comes to cars. Half my buddies drive 9 second big block chevy's while the others are into motorcycles...with nitrous! I think the ZO6's and new ZR1's are gorgeous! But to a divorced dad with 3 kids, the 92 Z will suffice :-) If I can run mid 12's with exhaust, gears, and chip - I'll be happy. But if I see a Mustang pull up at a red light, there MAY be trouble ;-)
Old 12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

I believe I have 4.09s in mine - it is a no brainer mod IMHO. Now with that being said depending on the exhaust you have - at 70mph you might really hate the car. You will want to run it in 5th.

4.56s could be interesting.

I have 4.09, bullet cats, headers, plenum cleaned up, chip, etc.

Brian turned a 11.90 in my 94 before I redid the top end end and had it tuned. I would have never beat it as hard as he did - so i know I won't ever get that time out of it.

Brain - make me feel it,
D.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian is right on the money. The last stock ZO6 that the stock ZR1 could beat was the 2001 car (385hp.)
Back when they first came out I used to be able to edge them out regularly, running low twelves. But when the 2002's came out there was finally a C5 that was quicker than the Z.
And now fugetaboutit, after all, the ZO6 IS a 427 Corvette
Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Hey Darin,

I just saw this post and see that you are in Red Oak? I am in Cedar Hill. Jet_Jock is another forum member here in DFW. He has been coming to my house for the last couple of days and helping me get the car tuned-up. We are supposed to hook up again this weekend to install the new parts (hoses, injectors, thermostat, starter, plugs). If you aren't doing anything next Friday or Saturday, send me a PM and I can give you my address :-)

-Carlos

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
I believe I have 4.09s in mine - it is a no brainer mod IMHO. Now with that being said depending on the exhaust you have - at 70mph you might really hate the car. You will want to run it in 5th.

4.56s could be interesting.

I have 4.09, bullet cats, headers, plenum cleaned up, chip, etc.

Brian turned a 11.90 in my 94 before I redid the top end end and had it tuned. I would have never beat it as hard as he did - so i know I won't ever get that time out of it.

Brain - make me feel it,
D.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

If I didn't have friends coming in to town Friday and Saturday, I would come over as well. Depending on what time they leave Saturday I might still be able to come by. Or if you're getting together Sunday, I'm up for it.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Default Quick Update

Just wanted to give a friendly update,

The forum members here have really been great. Jet_Jock has been busy tearing my car up this past weekend and we'll hopefully get the car buttoned up this weekend. We plan to install the following:

-Haibeck hoses and performance chip
-Delphi injectors from Jon Banner
-new coil packs and starter
-jerry's gaskets for plenum and airhorn
-starter
-Fuel regulator
-spark plugs
-oil change using Royal Purple 10w 30

I've also recently purchased a Magnaflow x-pipe, set of Jeal headers and 4.30 gears The car came with DYnomax mufflers so I think if I eliminate the resonator and go with this setup, it will breathe pretty well - unless i can find a great deal on a used 3" exhaust.

Anyway, I am dying to get behind the wheel and go for a drive very soon
Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho_ZR1
Just wanted to give a friendly update,

The forum members here have really been great. Jet_Jock has been busy tearing my car up this past weekend and we'll hopefully get the car buttoned up this weekend. We plan to install the following:

-Haibeck hoses and performance chip
-Delphi injectors from Jon Banner
-new coil packs and starter
-jerry's gaskets for plenum and airhorn
-starter
-Fuel regulator
-spark plugs
-oil change using Royal Purple 10w 30

I've also recently purchased a Magnaflow x-pipe, set of Jeal headers and 4.30 gears The car came with DYnomax mufflers so I think if I eliminate the resonator and go with this setup, it will breathe pretty well - unless i can find a great deal on a used 3" exhaust.

Anyway, I am dying to get behind the wheel and go for a drive very soon
You are makin a bad ride even Badder your going to really enjoy it

Get notified of new replies

To Bang for the buck mods - 92 ZR-1

Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

That things going to be a beast when you get finished with all that. Will be interesting to see how our cars compare after you're done. Mine got top end porting and 4.10s, but still has the restrictive stock exhaust. Yours will have stock top end, but much better exhaust (although I am getting an x-pipe to replace the really restrictive 91 resonator) and a little more aggressive gears.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
That things going to be a beast when you get finished with all that. Will be interesting to see how our cars compare after you're done. Mine got top end porting and 4.10s, but still has the restrictive stock exhaust. Yours will have stock top end, but much better exhaust (although I am getting an x-pipe to replace the really restrictive 91 resonator) and a little more aggressive gears.
So are you ditching the 4.10's already??? The gears and headers were too good of a deal to pass up so I jumped all over it. It seems when we took the car apart last weekend, that it had a couple of mods done already. Specifically, relocated MAT sensor to the air intake, K&N air filter (the bottom of the airbox also looks cut but we can't be sure if that's the way it looks stock), plenum spacer, and the throttle body coolant lines were blocked off.

It'd be interesting to take our cars to a dyno somewhere to see what kinda power we are making. Hmmmm
Old 12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

No, I'm keeping the 4.10s, I love them, but you're getting 4.30s. Will give you a slight edge. I'd love to do a dyno day. Really want to find out what the car is putting down "as is".

Quick Reply: Bang for the buck mods - 92 ZR-1