C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Picking up the ZR-1 on Saturday!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Default Picking up the ZR-1 on Saturday!

It's almost here, flying out tomorrow night to Vegas and picking up the car Saturday. Can't wait, it's gonna be a fun drive back to Dallas over the weekend!

http://www.lt1.net/zr1pics.htm
Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
It's almost here, flying out tomorrow night to Vegas and picking up the car Saturday. Can't wait, it's gonna be a fun drive back to Dallas over the weekend!

http://www.lt1.net/zr1pics.htm
Nice! Congrat
Old 12-02-2010, 10:23 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Give us the trip story after you get home
Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

About frigging time! Don't stay too long in Vegas.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 PM
falconfling
Racer

Default Two of the best road trips of my life.

1) Bringing the 93 anni home from Jacksonville (110 for 2 hrs on Fla. interstate)

2) Bringing home the white 93 from Atlanta...went to Jamestown, Yorktown battlefield, and a whole lot of historic Va....plus blasting down the roads home. Mike Meadows has this thing up to about 400 rwhp.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe. (hitting a mule deer at 100 plus, no fun !)

Gary
Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 PM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oldest son and I did similar thing in July 09'. He had just got back on leave from Iraq on Wed. flew our Fri morning (St. Louis) to Alberquee, Nm. and drove his 92'Z back along old rt 66 to central IL. Made great time and used less than 3 tanks of gas all the way. Did not have a bit of troublel ANd the Car ran FANTASTIC!!!!

Good Luck and have a safe drive!!!
wro87
Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

The guys at work are saying I'm crazy for driving it back, and should pay a transport service, but I told them I bought the car to drive it.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:15 PM
wro87
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:iagreeiagree: [::B]"DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE "[/B] You are 100% RIGHT!! IT was Great when we drive it back to Illinios.

ENJOY the DRIVE!!

wro87
Old 12-04-2010, 02:08 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There they go....

Evan just drove off in my beast/baby. He should have a fun trip back to Texas as long as he keeps away from the AZ Highway Patrol and any others who don't like awesome ZR-1's cruising through their state or county.

I have never seen the car on the road before, and it is even more beautiful than I had imagined as it went down the street. Sounded great, too. So....9 years of sweat and love is now transferred to another C4 and C4 ZR-1 lover.

I hope Evan enjoys it as much as I did...and drives it like it needs to be.

Texas Mile next, eh Evan?

Last edited by dallas916; 12-04-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:32 PM
C4Fanatic
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Brought my new blue baby home last weekend from Atlanta. Have a great trip.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Congrats to Evan and Dallas, sure seeing it leave was bittersweet.
Nice Z
Old 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Congrats to Evan and Dallas, sure seeing it leave was bittersweet.
Nice Z
Yeah, it is. But I like to think of it as more of a handoff than a sale (with the prices these days), and the new QB can take it to the next level.

I want to thank ALL of you who helped me with maintenance and upgrade issues over the last 8 years...Marc Haibeck, Corey Henderson, Bob in Oregon, Phil, Bill, and all the others I cannot remember right now. Without your help I could not have enjoyed the Z as much as I did.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dallas916
I have never seen the car on the road before, and it is even more beautiful than I had imagined as it went down the street. Sounded great, too.
It's weird when you see your car being driven by someone else. It's like you're having an out of body experience and you're seeing what everybody else sees.

Evan will take good care of the 91. He'll have fun running around with a couple of 92 Z's.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by C4Fanatic
Brought my new blue baby home last weekend from Atlanta. Have a great trip.
This is a nice ride you have!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Just a quick update, I'm safely in Albuquerque for the night. No issues during the drive, EXCEPT for the stupid semi that ran me off the rode!!! Luckily it doesn't look like there was any damage to the car, but it was a hair raising experience to have to go onto the gravel shoulder at 80MPH to keep from getting run over. And yes, I did catch back up, take pics of the truck for all the numbers and plates, and called it in to the Highway Patrol.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Just a quick update, I'm safely in Albuquerque for the night. No issues during the drive, EXCEPT for the stupid semi that ran me off the rode!!! Luckily it doesn't look like there was any damage to the car, but it was a hair raising experience to have to go onto the gravel shoulder at 80MPH to keep from getting run over. And yes, I did catch back up, take pics of the truck for all the numbers and plates, and called it in to the Highway Patrol.
Glad you're ok. Didn't need anything bad to happen
Old 12-05-2010, 05:28 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Some jealous Mustang owner probably.

Be sure you check everything underneath when you get back...and call the trucking company or shipping business and tell them that their driver is a menace and you're filing a complaint with the state, the DMV, their insurance company, and the transportation commission. That will have them shaking in their boots and running for their lawyers. Trucking companies and insurance companies HATE lawsuits and potential liability caused by idiot drivers.

Demand a written apology from them and the driver just for fun. Of course, the driver will probably be working under a bridge with a sign for the next few months.

BTW: time to change the oil and filter. Everything else should be fresh and ok.

Just thinking: Maybe that Mobil 1 "high" or "extended mileage" 10-30 or 10-40 would be good to try. I don't think I have seen them discussed on this forum but there are a lot of threads about which oil to run. This Z has had M1 from almost day one, but maybe these new formulations are even better. Oh...buy 10 or 12 qts. at a time 'cause it takes 10 just to do the change.

Have fun.

OH....someone needs to give Evan the info on tightening up that bolt under the right side exhaust that leaks on the hot pipe after time.

Last edited by dallas916; 12-05-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Picking up the ZR-1 on Saturday!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 PM
falconfling
Racer

Default IF you got the insurance id no. on the trailer

Originally Posted by dallas916
Some jealous Mustang owner probably.

Be sure you check everything underneath when you get back...and call the trucking company or shipping business and tell them that their driver is a menace and you're filing a complaint with the state, the DMV, their insurance company, and the transportation commission. That will have them shaking in their boots and running for their lawyers. Trucking companies and insurance companies HATE lawsuits and potential liability caused by idiot drivers.

Demand a written apology from them and the driver just for fun. Of course, the driver will probably be working under a bridge with a sign for the next few months.

BTW: time to change the oil and filter. Everything else should be fresh and ok.

Just thinking: Maybe that Mobil 1 "high" or "extended mileage" 10-30 or 10-40 would be good to try. I don't think I have seen them discussed on this forum but there are a lot of threads about which oil to run. This Z has had M1 from almost day one, but maybe these new formulations are even better. Oh...buy 10 or 12 qts. at a time 'cause it takes 10 just to do the change.

Have fun.

OH....someone needs to give Evan the info on tightening up that bolt under the right side exhaust that leaks on the hot pipe after time.
Call the ins. co. FOR SURE. As a retired commercial insurance underwriter I can tell you that carries some weight...but also for sure the truck owner.

Good trip for the rest of it.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:57 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Made it home safely to Dallas today. No problems on today's trip, and I did a quick inspection in the daylight and didn't see anything from my off-roading incident. I'll have to check under the car after work one evening. Will be taking the car to the insurance company Tuesday for the "official" add to my policy, and will go over the incident with them.

I did have one issue with the car, whichever button I have selected on the climate control, when I turn it on, the light flashes several times when turned on and then goes solid (normal operation). Everything seems to work properly, except the AC doesn't blow cold. Is this an indicator of low refrigerant level, or something else?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Made it home safely to Dallas today. No problems on today's trip, and I did a quick inspection in the daylight and didn't see anything from my off-roading incident. I'll have to check under the car after work one evening. Will be taking the car to the insurance company Tuesday for the "official" add to my policy, and will go over the incident with them.

I did have one issue with the car, whichever button I have selected on the climate control, when I turn it on, the light flashes several times when turned on and then goes solid (normal operation). Everything seems to work properly, except the AC doesn't blow cold. Is this an indicator of low refrigerant level, or something else?
I am pretty sure I told you the R12 was a little low -- just enough to cool the car when sitting, and the compressor would cycle too often. But these automatic systems seem to have a common problem of getting knocked out of it's a/c loop. It can be reset by pulling the #1 and #10 fuse (in the small panel on the right side/end of the dash) for a minute or two if I remember right. In fact, it is even mentioned in your owners manual in the "comfort"? section. I'm not sure if there's a cure for it, but I always noticed that if I ran the rpms up too high with the a/c running it would knock out the a/c (like a WOT run). Everything in that system has been replaced, so don't let any shop turkey try to sell you any components.

You don't need R12 to top it up. You can use Enviro-Safe's R12 substitute or even "Freeze 12" I think. You should be able to add about 1/2 can at the dryer ports up front.

Last edited by dallas916; 12-05-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Picking up the ZR-1 on Saturday!