C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Observations on ZR-1 ownership after 5 days...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:15 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Default Observations on ZR-1 ownership after 5 days...

I absolutely love this car!!! I've always been a C4 fan, but the ZR-1 just brings it to a whole different level. It's even been fun driving to work the past couple of days (although that won't be an ongoing event), and has been fine even in stop and go traffic. For an older "supercar" the clutch and transmission really aren't all that heavy. As a matter of fact, I'd say the tranny is easier to work than the later C5 units. And the power, WOOHOO! This thing with the 4.10s is an absolute blast off the line, or at any speed. I can be cruising on the tollway and drop it down a gear or two and just take off.

The only downside is I'd forgotten how mediocre Corvette stereos are. Guess I need to start making plans to rip it all out and put in a full system.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
I absolutely love this car!!! I've always been a C4 fan, but the ZR-1 just brings it to a whole different level. It's even been fun driving to work the past couple of days (although that won't be an ongoing event), and has been fine even in stop and go traffic. For an older "supercar" the clutch and transmission really aren't all that heavy. As a matter of fact, I'd say the tranny is easier to work than the later C5 units. And the power, WOOHOO! This thing with the 4.10s is an absolute blast off the line, or at any speed. I can be cruising on the tollway and drop it down a gear or two and just take off.

The only downside is I'd forgotten how mediocre Corvette stereos are. Guess I need to start making plans to rip it all out and put in a full system.
Are you also replacing the head unit? My radio needs alot of work. The frieking antenna doesn't even go down all the way
Old 12-08-2010, 04:12 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Yes, I'll probably be pulling the entire system (head unit and all speakers, NOT the antenna though). It may be as long as a month or two as I'll have a lot of stuff to gather up for the install.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 PM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Just be careful as there is serial data communication that uses the CDM box as a "pass thru " nexus between the body control module and the CCM and even the ECM and the A/C control head on the electronic A/C equipped cars.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:00 PM
pantera1683
Racer

Just replacing the head unit makes a tremendous difference in sound quality if the speakers and amps are still good.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tomtom72
Just be careful as there is serial data communication that uses the CDM box as a "pass thru " nexus between the body control module and the CCM and even the ECM and the A/C control head on the electronic A/C equipped cars.

Yeah, I vaguely remember all that when I replaced everything in the 92 I had. Seems like it took me about a full weekend to do it all the last time around. I hadn't thought of just doing the head unit, I might think about that. The speakers/amps are all good, and the sound is decent when playing back MP3s using a cassette adapter. Might have to try that option first, then I can always do the aftermarket amp/speakers later if it's not good enough.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Redline7g
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, people who have never driven one of these cars don't know what they are missing. I've had 9 vettes from a 72 to an 04 and the ZR-1 is still my favorite. In fact I sold an 04 vert to buy the one I have now. What a thrill when ever I get the chance to do a little spirited driving. As I've said before More smiles per gallon than any car I have ever owned. Long live the King!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 PM
C4Fanatic
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1

I'm at Day 13, and the grin is still on my face every time I take it for a spin.

And I'm lucky, the stereo in mine has already been replaced with a Pioneer Nav head unit. Sounds great with the MP3 plugged in.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

My first C4 was a 1989 dark blue coupe with saddle interior. I loved that car! Even though I've had a 2002 C5, that is the only non C4 that I have had. The two ZR-1's that I have had including the current 92 ZR-1 have been the most fun cars that I have ever owned. While I was telling Evan after the ride in his new baby, there is nothing like opening the garage door and seeing two C4 Corvettes in there and one of then is a ZR-1. I still stand there and stare at the body and the emblems and pop open the hood to confirm, yep, it is still a ZR-1 with a LT5 motor. It's waiting in there now waiting for me to open the garage door and take her for a spin. Talk to you guys later. I'm going driving! Gotta straighten her out in the garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Observations on ZR-1 ownership after 5 days...

Quick Reply: Observations on ZR-1 ownership after 5 days...