C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Ideal Mixture of AntiFreeze to Water

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal Mixture of AntiFreeze to Water

What is the optimal ratio? I live in Dallas, TX so we don't worry about freezing too much.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 AM
falconfling
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti freeze in the C4 ZR 1

I'd use the mfg. rec, if there is one, but I can remember somewhere, someone bringing up issues about the current crop of anti freeze giving problems to the ZR 1. To play it safe I'm switching to GM's brand...its about twice as much....naturally, but an extra $10 a year seems pretty cheap if that's what it takes.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

I stopping using antifreeze, I put in water wetter and a water pump lube/anti-corrosion product.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 AM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Falcon, Stay with what the manufacurer recommends, go too low on antifreeze protection, you know Murphys Law will get you every time, small investment to protect the motor from freezing. Believe 50/50 is correct mixture of the Green stuff, stay away from Dex-Cool (Orange), stuff is nasty when it goes south....

Gibby
Old 12-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a reason for not wanting to run the factory-recommended 50/50?
Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Do you have a reason for not wanting to run the factory-recommended 50/50?
He stated that in the original post, 50/50 isn't needed for that climate. It would just makes the cooling system less efficient. Follow the temp guide for your climate on the coolant jug.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
He stated that in the original post, 50/50 isn't needed for that climate. It would just makes the cooling system less efficient. Follow the temp guide for your climate on the coolant jug.
Well, anti-freeze also provides boil-over protection, as well as lubricating the water pump and preventing corrosion.

All he really stated is he lives in Texas. For efficiency, how efficient is enough? I suspect for most street-driven Corvettes, the factory recommendation is "good enough".
Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I change out my coolant yearly, never have overheating issues.

Generally speaking, if you go below 40% coolant you run the risk of engine problems. Over 60% coolant and the same happens.

If you are going to run Water Wetter, use at least 15% anti-freeze in street vehicles.

I feel comfortable at 50/50.

Boil-over protection, water pump lubrication and corrosion prevention are all significant reasons for making sure you are running enough % of Coolant.

Running a higher % of water will bring the temp down but honestly if your coolant system is maintained and working properly, you should not overheat at 50/50 mixture.

If you do overheat, start with changing coolant, cleaning radiator debris and and look for problems in your coolant system and address them.

Ideally, antifreeze (usually ethylene glycol) is added to the water in a 50-50 mixture. The combination has a higher boiling point and a lower freezing point than either of the two liquids individually.

Antifreeze and coolant are two commonly confused concepts. Ethylene glycol in antifreeze is only one part of today's car coolant delivery systems. Water is what takes care of most of the cooling in your engine. A coolant mixture is basically water and propylene glycol antifreeze.

There are many antifreeze additives to help with corrosion protection and lubrication. Always check the coolant additive warranty before use. Follow the antifreeze manufacturer's instructions for temperature ranges and mixture ratios to match your climate.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-11-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

50/50 with Redline water wetter.

Get notified of new replies

To Ideal Mixture of AntiFreeze to Water

Quick Reply: Ideal Mixture of AntiFreeze to Water