C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

c4zr1 vs c5z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 AM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I ever get another Vette it will be the C6 Generation or a 1970 LS5 Vert.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sabastian458
So the column lock bypass doesnt fix it?
Fixed mine. No problems since. got 92K on it now.

Never been in a ZR1, could not get the only one I seen on the road to drive any more agressive then an old lady, So I have nothing.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
Didn't fix my brother's 02 Z06, plus it will interfere with the GM recall that is supposed to fix it but also doesn't quite do it. I think you have to go one way or the other. I forget which leaves the column where it doesn't lock anymore at all. Electronically the car will do some weird stuff when the problem starts. It will shut itself off and make you wait ten seconds to try to start it back up etc. Mine was beginning to do that and the car only had 4500 miles and was the final production run of the C5. It made no sense at all that GM couldn't fix the C5 and waited for the C6 to solve it.
Just throwing out the info I have,
My 01Z did this, and then it would not start. I however could push start it. took it to the dealer, there was a recall. they fixed the BS with the key, then put the columb lock defeat on it. Never so much have seen a tiny issue with it.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by ztheusa
I own both. The Z06 is quicker, faster, more agile, better handling, better looking, much more reliable, gets better gas milage, MUCH more fun to drive. The ZR1 has better seats and a way more heavier/complicated way of making power.

Neither one will ever be a C2.
Having owned a FRC and driven plenty C5 Z06s. The C5Z is not even close to being more fun to drive than a ZR-1. The drive by wire and steering weighting take alot of feel out of the car.

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
I have owned both...they are both great cars.

The ZR-1 will hold its value better, but be harder to acquire and to sell.

The ZR-1 does not handle as well, to be expected from a much older design (C5 has a trans axle in the rear for better weight bias and is lighter), but the LT5 is much more entertaining to drive and to look at.

The C4's interior is more rattle prone than the C5, and the Chassis will flex more.

The C5 is an easier car to get in and out of for sure, but the seats in a C4 will keep you from sliding around in the corners, they are much better than C5 seats. C5's also have rubber bushing in the seats that will get old and crumble leaving you with a seat that rocks back and forth.

The C5 also has that stupid column lock problem that is a royal pita and there is NO FIX. If you want a newer car than the ZR-1 get a C6. The C6 does not have the column lock problem. The extra 100HP on the C6 Z06 will leave a stock ZR-1 in the dust. But any Stock ZR-1 can keep up with the C5 Z06.

I did think the C5 Z06 was more responsive to your initial throttle input and revs quicker (not higher). That could be more due to the gearing of the Z06 trans, something a ZR-1 could have used.

I had the 2004 Z16 with the carbon fiber hood and it would bow up real high at 150MPH.

I wish I still had both, but when financial trouble hit I unloaded the C5 Z06 Z16 and kept the 1994 ZR-1.
Pull the interior out of a C5 twice for a stereo or shifter and the C5 will rattle like a C4.

Overall I had fewer problems over more miles with my C4 Lt1 than my FRC.

Don't forget the tq tube in the C5 they often need to be rebuilt between 80k and 100k even at stock power behind a LS1

Quick Reply: c4zr1 vs c5z06