C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Big thanks to Steve @ Crossed Flags Peformance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,195 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Default Big thanks to Steve @ Crossed Flags Peformance

Had Steve pick up the car a few weeks ago to fix a few issues and just got it back yesterday. I have to say, it is great to have such a diligent and communicative shop reasonably close (and willing to pick up/return). They worked through all my issues and communicated everything that was happening on a regular basis (sometime multiple texts a day).

General overview of work done:
  • Replace low oil sensor. Had developed a serious leak and was also intermittently coming on even if oil level was fine.
  • AC repair (lot's of issues with the AC system on this car, but I think we're finally good). Dryer, screen o-ring, vacuum leak, fan motor, cleaning evaporator. We all know the AC on these cars is not great, but Steve and his team spent a lot of time chasing down all the issues and making it as good as it can be.
  • Installed catch can. Was having a little bit of oil push through at high rpm and this seems to have solved it.
  • Installed Corsa exhaust. Let me just say, this exhaust is AWESOME! I was worried it'd be too quiet at idle, but with the cams it still has a very nice lope. It's not as deep as the B&B, but that's a trade-off I can live with to get rid of the drone. On the highway, I can now use 6th gear again, which is great! It's not quiet in 6th, you can still hear it, but it's not that super annoying drone of the early B&B. And when you got full throttle, WOW!
  • Lowered coilovers to be even and balanced (1" rake front to rear)
  • Replaced plugs and O2 sensors due to running rich (which Pete did intentionally on base tune to make sure it was safe since he had not had anyone run these cams in a 391 before)
  • Dyno tune: Communicating a lot with Pete on it to make sure it was done right. Since Steve has a Mustang dyno, it's not a straight comparison to previous numbers, but we were up about 20HP from baseline before tuning and AFR is now perfect. He also made a HUGE improvement in <2000rpm drivability. It was drivable before, but had some slight hesitation, now it's like a stock car.
  • On top of that he went through and replaced/repaired anything else he found, including serpentine belt, dip stick tube (to get it to proper angle/position) and pilot bushing on clutch (was causing a knock once warmed up).
At this point, the car is pretty much perfect, and basically fully restored. Full professional repaint in 2017, low mileage donor interior in 2017, 391 engine in 2018, and absolutely everything gone through and working at this point.
Only thing left is I'll probably have a local stereo shop that knows C4s pull the stock Bose system and replace with a modern setup with bluetooth. The stock Bose works, but it's an early 90s Bose system (no highs, no lows...).

Since I've been missing it, decided to take it to work today, and it did great even in some light stop and go traffic.
Here's a obligatory pic and a link to the video of it backing out of Steve's trailer:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iQEToyeh5sdKFs1j9
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:05 AM
Ian94
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a sweet ride Evan....I may have to make another trip to Dallas to check it out again....

-Ian
Old 09-26-2019, 11:41 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Steve and the CFP guys did some work on my '91 in February. First class the whole way.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, nice post and WHAT A CAR!!!! Love it.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:39 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I've seen this car in person. The 391 is
Happy to hear you're happy with the Corsa. I just bought a corsa for my 96 lt4, but originally wanted b&b. Does Crossed Flags only work on ZR-1s?

Anyways, happy to hear the car is sqaured away. And looking sharp
Old 09-28-2019, 02:16 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,195 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Crossed Flags works on LT1 C4s as well. They do a really great job, can’t go wrong with them.
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (09-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Big thanks to Steve @ Crossed Flags Peformance

Quick Reply: Big thanks to Steve @ Crossed Flags Peformance