C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

F/s lt4 trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
crmvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default F/s lt4 trans

Hi guys,will have a lt-4 trans for sale. Needs front shim kit,believe everything else is ok.Replace due to noise with steel flywheel. Just feel car to nice to have all this noise(plus i don't like it). Trans will be removed after the 1st of the year. Asking $500.00 plus shipping,so the closer the better,live in BEL AIR,MD. Can contact thru forum or e-mail(crmvette@aol.com)if interested.

Thanks,Rick Morris
Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 AM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crmvette
Hi guys,will have a lt-4 trans for sale. Needs front shim kit,believe everything else is ok.Replace due to noise with steel flywheel. Just feel car to nice to have all this noise(plus i don't like it). Trans will be removed after the 1st of the year. Asking $500.00 plus shipping,so the closer the better,live in BEL AIR,MD. Can contact thru forum or e-mail(crmvette@aol.com)if interested.

Thanks,Rick Morris
So you are sayimg you went from a dual mass flywheel to a single mass FW and you got the old "Death Rattle" at idle now correct?

The trans if parted out is worth way more then your asking price for the whole deal, a steal for someone who needs one.

GLWS,

Gibby
Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRWHAT
So you are sayimg you went from a dual mass flywheel to a single mass FW and you got the old "Death Rattle" at idle now correct?

The trans if parted out is worth way more then your asking price for the whole deal, a steal for someone who needs one.

GLWS,

Gibby
For a ZR-1 owner it's worth nothing due to the fact that the input shafts are different. But at 500$ + a conversion (balancing included) by ZFDOC = about 2200$ tranny included. So 500$ for a ZR-1 owner is still good if you are willing to call Bill and ask him to practice is craft on it!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:21 AM
crmvette
Pro

[QUOTE=MRDZR1;1576272930]For a ZR-1 owner it's worth nothing due to the fact that the input shafts are different. But at 500$ + a conversion (balancing included) by ZFDOC = about 2200$ tranny included. So 500$ for a ZR-1 owner is still good if you are willing to call Bill and ask him to practice is craft on it!

[/QU
thanks for reply. understand shafts are different,but thought would be ideal parts/replacement tranny and at that price would generate some interest. Bill B is doing his magic on new box for me as we speak and hope to have in just after new year.noise is driving me nuts,so glad have wifes to drive(thats very noisey but in a different way)

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Why are you replacing the Transmission? It's the flywheel that's causing the problem.
I have a Light Weight flywheel, and it does the same thing. But it WILL rattle with any ZF6 you put in there, unless you change back to the dual mass unit.
What am I missing here?

BTW, I have a NOS ZF6 (blue label-for ZR1), still in the GM box, for sale at $2K.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
crmvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
Why are you replacing the Transmission? It's the flywheel that's causing the problem.
I have a Light Weight flywheel, and it does the same thing. But it WILL rattle with any ZF6 you put in there, unless you change back to the dual mass unit.
What am I missing here?

BTW, I have a NOS ZF6 (blue label-for ZR1), still in the GM box, for sale at $2K.
Graybeard ur not missing a thing. Having ZFDOC do his magic on new trans,will be no or very little noise. He did 1 for a ZR-1 that i know,no noise and shifts very nice. So have my fingers crossed. Thanks for imput,will pass trans info on.

Rick
Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Scrrem
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks,Rick Morris
Rick PM in bound.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Rick - Let me get this straight. You've got the dreaded, annoying, "single mass flywheel rattle" with your LT4. So, to fix the problem you are pulling the trans, buying a new/or used ZF6, and having it modified, or blueprinted to avoid, or reduce the rattle.
I'm not a transmission expert, but it seems like you are spending an awful lot of time, effort, and expense to cure what is surely an annoyance but not really a mechanical problem.
I don't know of anyone that can guarantee that the rattle will be cured by anything that can be done internally to the ZF6. It's a noisy german truck transmission that GM could not quiet down without using the dual mass flywheel. Do you think GM engineers would have added these weight, and performance penalties if there was any other way to avoid the rattle?
I have a single mass flywheel in my ZR1, so I know how annoying the sound can be. But I've chosen to live with it for the increased performance. If I ever decide to quiet it down, I'll just pop that dual mass unit back in and the rattle will be instantly cured.
I hope that after all the $$, and time and effort, things turn out great with your car. Be sure to post here how it all turns out. It will be very instructive for us guys.

Thanks, Bob.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 PM
crmvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
Rick - Let me get this straight. You've got the dreaded, annoying, "single mass flywheel rattle" with your LT4. So, to fix the problem you are pulling the trans, buying a new/or used ZF6, and having it modified, or blueprinted to avoid, or reduce the rattle.
I'm not a transmission expert, but it seems like you are spending an awful lot of time, effort, and expense to cure what is surely an annoyance but not really a mechanical problem.
I don't know of anyone that can guarantee that the rattle will be cured by anything that can be done internally to the ZF6. It's a noisy german truck transmission that GM could not quiet down without using the dual mass flywheel. Do you think GM engineers would have added these weight, and performance penalties if there was any other way to avoid the rattle?
I have a single mass flywheel in my ZR1, so I know how annoying the sound can be. But I've chosen to live with it for the increased performance. If I ever decide to quiet it down, I'll just pop that dual mass unit back in and the rattle will be instantly cured.
I hope that after all the $$, and time and effort, things turn out great with your car. Be sure to post here how it all turns out. It will be very instructive for us guys.

Thanks, Bob.
thanks for response,just going by what Bill told me and a ZR-1 owner. Sure HOPE it turns out well,may have to find a place to live if still noisey.Wife will REALLY be pi$$ed--lol

Thanks Rick
Old 12-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Scrrem
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks for response,just going by what Bill told me and a ZR-1 owner. Sure HOPE it turns out well,may have to find a place to live if still noisey.Wife will REALLY be pi$$ed--lol

Thanks Rick
Rick,
One of our MD members here installed a SM FW and had Bill work his magic on his ZF and he says no rattle.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 AM
crmvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Scrrem
Rick,
One of our MD members here installed a SM FW and had Bill work his magic on his ZF and he says no rattle.
Thanks for the info. Would like to keep my happy home. Would that member be Dave?

Rick
Old 12-23-2010, 09:25 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks for the info. Would like to keep my happy home. Would that member be Dave?

Rick
Yes! Absolute silence was the report that I got.

btw, did you sell this trans? I figure it didn't hang around long, but on the off chance that you still have it I can come down with the $500.00 on a weekend.

Tom
Old 12-23-2010, 10:22 AM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Rick
Rick,

Yes it's me... Your welcome to drive it anytime you wish.

Anyone interested in testing it is welcome.

Bill B is "the man!"

David
Old 12-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
Rick,

Anyone interested in testing it is welcome.

Bill B is "the man!"

David
So Dave, what specifically did Bill B. do to the trans to quiet it down.
So far, all we've got is "he worked his magic".

Get notified of new replies

To F/s lt4 trans

Quick Reply: F/s lt4 trans