C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Mystery Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Interesting thread. Of course the 93 injectors are supposed to not be affected by the ethanol in the gas - I guess RCs are in the future of all LT5s, not just the 90-91s, eh? Quite the PITA indeed. I'm gonna get some stabil for my cars now - never bothered before, but I think it is time to get some into the ethanol garbage sitting in the tanks of my Zs. Guess I'll have to drain the crap outta the tanks first - what's the easiest way to do this?
I have a fantastic method and I use stabil as well.

Ethanol fuel ages quicker then non ethanol.

They say with stabil, you can go 1 year. Longer if you double dosage. I like to change mine out every 2-3 months max.

It took me a long time to get a flawless system. It involves spending about 10 bucks for 2 parts. I'll take a picture for you tomorrow.
You get zero spills and it empties tank quickly once you get siphon started.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 01-03-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
I just realized you have a 93. 93 has injectors that can handle ethanol.
It's the early injectors that are the real issue.
Don't know if it makes a difference, but this is an early 93'. It also has the black tag ZF.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

Pulled the plugs and they looked like it had been running lean. Removed all the fuel and tested it. Just a tad over 30% Ethanol, too much as far as I'm concerned. I had filled up the tank with fresh fuel about a month ago at a local station. Won't go there again. Added about 1/2 tank of 112 (it's what I had in the barrel) then added a couple of ounces of MM and allowed it to idle for about 20 minutes and then took it for a easy spin, and it started running smoother. Drove it for about 20 miles, and then took it to 7k rpms a couple of times, no lean code. Brought it home and it's now idling smooth as butta.

Oh, spun the tires in 3rd gear

A word to the wise, if you're buying pump fuel and it's got Ethanol, you might want to check what percentage you're actually getting.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 8388
Pulled the plugs and they looked like it had been running lean. Removed all the fuel and tested it. Just a tad over 30% Ethanol, too much as far as I'm concerned. I had filled up the tank with fresh fuel about a month ago at a local station. Won't go there again. Added about 1/2 tank of 112 (it's what I had in the barrel) then added a couple of ounces of MM and allowed it to idle for about 20 minutes and then took it for a easy spin, and it started running smoother. Drove it for about 20 miles, and then took it to 7k rpms a couple of times, no lean code. Brought it home and it's now idling smooth as butta.

Oh, spun the tires in 3rd gear

A word to the wise, if you're buying pump fuel and it's got Ethanol, you might want to check what percentage you're actually getting.
That is exactly why I test my fuel with a test kit.

You should test that gas station in a month and if it retests 30% then report it. It's stealing.....
Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
That is exactly why I test my fuel with a test kit.

You should test that gas station in a month and if it retests 30% then report it. It's stealing.....
I have come to realize that anytime an opportunity arises to cheat, chances are high that someone will take advantage of it.

My daily drivers use 87, and I have never experienced any negative issues with it. I rarely buy 93 so it's my suspicion that this probably happens to 91 or 93 more often than not, as enough ethanol % can reduce knock. Unfortunately, it also increase a lean condition unless you compensate for it, which the Z is not capable of doing on it's own.

Last edited by 8388; 01-04-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Mystery Oil?