C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

More wisdom from the group?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:48 AM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default More wisdom from the group?

After getting my Z back on the road from the mulittude of issues created by the VATs & keystone cops adventures she was running without missing a lick while in regular power. Drove it that way for a few days trying to make sure there were no other issues. Little things arose from having the dash on the garage floor. Like it not being properly put back the first time. Driver door courtsey switch not plugged in---etc..

Now the big test. Full power switch on----and----? It felt like I had turned the ignition off. The engine was indeed still running but seems to be about 2 full seconds behing throttle input. Ok seems to be reading here and the FSM that this was most likely due to the secondaries not coming in. Vacuum leak?

Checked the vacuum system according to the book. Couldn't find any vacuum leaks but did note the vacuum pump runs all the time when the full power switch is on. Day off project! Track down all the joining points on the vacuum lines and install cable ties snugly. Done! But now the car misses all the time?

Back and forth through the FSM bible and I have come to the conclusion that I am thick as a stump. Cannot find any obvious areas to look at.

As always I thank everyone who has positive advice. Been on this site for a few years but was sure that because of some of the "flame throwers" I would be an easy target so just kept my mouth shut and used this for education. Sure enough when I did start to post (because my beloved Z was sick) I was the bunt of many jokes. Ok, I can take a joke and as much ribbing over my stupid questions as anyone wants to put forth. The good advice is worth the price. So go ahead and shoot.

Besides this '90 Z I have a convertable '90, a targa top '90 and a convertable '91----all with the same two issues which make me think the problem is the mechanic (me) and not the car so would like to pick your brains on these two issues that are on all 4 cars. The instrument panel is absolutely dark during the day time. Turn the park lights on and the lights come on and is readable. Off again and it is dark enough that if I want to see anything I have to use a flashlight. Tried the flashlight on the electronic eyes on the top of the dash and the sensor on the panel itself. Seems to be working properly when the dash lights are on (park lights on). Same on all 4 cars. Was advised to check the two grounding points. One under the battery and one on the underside of the a/c condensor. Checked all, cleaned, greased and put back snugly. Same problem. I know you have all heard of the "Midas touch" but have any of you heard of my condition when it comes to my c-4's? I commonly call it the feces touch. Yeah every time I start tinkering with one of these four cars something else turns to "schit".

Something else I have noticed and am wondering about? Seems the other c-4 forums have more postings? Is this just because of the fewer number of z owners? If the opportunity ever presents itself I will have a second Z to play with as it has become my favourite driver.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Vacuum pump running all the time usually indicates vacuum leak.

As for your instrument lights, I would check the photocell located top center dash under small plastic dome. You did mention that you had th dash apart?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:46 AM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

yes had the dash apart on the Z but not on the other 4 cars. Have cleaned the photocell on all four cars. No change. The photo cell on the dash under the a/c vent does make the dash go darker when the park/running lights are on and the dash lights work. Again this is the same on all 4 cars.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Strange that all 4 cars have the same issue. What happens when you move the brightness control on the manual switch?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 AM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Seems to act correctly. Starts out extremely dim then becomes readable. When the running lights are on. With them off moving the bright/dim switch has no effect. Puzzled!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 AM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 90, only it was intermittent (which makes for *very* frustrating troubleshooting.. After pouring over the Electrical Diagnosis Service Manual Supplement (section 8A-117), changing the incandescent power driver (which still *could* be your problem), tracing every wire in the circuit, it turned out to be the headlight switch itself.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Will see if I can get my hands on at least one or two new switches to test and see. Sounds logical. Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To More wisdom from the group?

Quick Reply: More wisdom from the group?