C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Another question... TB coolant plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:29 PM
hihok9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another question... TB coolant plug

I was just ready to drill, tap and plug the coolant port to the TB on my plenum when I saw a thread picturing it done on the injector housing side. Was this done with the injector housing in place? Can I be pointed in the right place to read an article? Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by hihok9
I was just ready to drill, tap and plug the coolant port to the TB on my plenum when I saw a thread picturing it done on the injector housing side. Was this done with the injector housing in place? Can I be pointed in the right place to read an article? Thanks!
Yes, it can be done w/ the IH in place. I placed the vacuum hose right next to the drill bit as I punched out the hole and when I tapped it to suck up any chips. The plugs work like a champ, and cuts a plenum pull down by about an hour that is used fussing with draining and then refilling the coolant and getting the air out of the system.

Not a real good picture, but you can see the brass plug on the left. I wrapped it with Teflon tape before installing it. Someone said it should be aluminum instead of brass to eliminate electrolysis issues. Well, it's been 3 years and no problems yet. But, at some point I may put an aluminum set in there, when I have the plenum off again for any reason.

So far just fine tho. It is a good modification, IMO.

P.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Mine is done that way... here's a thread on it.
H

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....m+coolant+plug

Get notified of new replies

To Another question... TB coolant plug

Quick Reply: Another question... TB coolant plug