C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

New to me 91 ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100

also- how's the secondary port look?
From the perspective of a 90's IH, my first impression was it appears at least the top end has been P&P'ed. As for how the secondary runner looks, I'd say "typical" for a car w/ the secondary throttle port system still intact; carbon buildup is common in the secondary, from what I've seen. However, there are a couple things one can do to minimize the buildups in the runners and caking on the secondary intake valve:
  • Any time you are going on a cruise, you can set the secondaries open by running the throttle up past 75% in 5th gear (opens the secondaries) for a couple seconds, and then ease it back to maintain normal highway speeds. The secondaries will stay open and fuel will act as a solvent to clean the back of the secondary valve and the runners leading up to them. If you have to back off to zero throttle for traffic, or whatever, reset the secondaries and resume cruising when you can.
  • Oil usage is the nature of the beast for an open deck motor, apparently. Several are installing an oil catch can between the PVCs and the plenum - something I intend to do myself this spring. This will go a long way to keeping the valves cleaner and prevent carbon buildup in the cylinder head area. (Course a couple or so "cleaning" 7K blasts on each outing not only will put a big grin on your face, but the LT5 loves it and will thank you for it as well!)

San Marcos? Wow! Had a co-worker that lived there for a time - Jim (something - some 25 years ago). In fact, the house in the background of your pic of the Z made me catch my breath...Looks VERY much like his place did. (Wouldn't be on a corner lot, now would it?)

Glad you have your new toy up and running. Welcome to the Brotherhood. If you haven't already, wander over to the ZR1.net Registry and sign up!

P.

Quick Reply: New to me 91 ZR-1