C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

? On 1994 zr1 part2

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:56 PM
lisoundsvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? On 1994 zr1 part2

MORE HELP NEEDED

HI GUYS

3 WEEKS AGO I POSTED HELP WITH DECISION ON PURCHASING A

1994 RED / RED ZR1

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...94-zr-1-a.html

WELL I JUST CHECKED OUT THE CAR IN DETAIL TODAY & TOOK THE CAR FOR A SHORT RIDE.

THESE ARE THE ITEMS THAT NEEDS ATTENTION

IF YOU CAN WOULD YOU KNOW
THE PRICE ON THE PARTS... AND... ESTIMATED LABOR ...ALSO WHAT TYPE/BRAND OF PART DO YOU RECOMEND

1- THROWOUT BEARING .....
(RATTLING IN NEUTRAL SILENT WHEN CLUTCH PRESSED IN)

1A- CLUTCH FEELS GOOD BUT IF I WERE TO REPLACE WITH A LIGHT WEIGHT SINGLE MASS WHICH ONE

2- LEFT FRONT BILSTEIN UPSHOCK LEAKING
( DO I REPLACE THEM IN PAIRS OR AS NEEDED)

3- 3- A LITTLE SMOKE ON START ( PRIMARY INJECTORS???)

4- PUMP UNDER RIGHT HEADLIGHT CYCLES OFTEN (EVERY 5 SECONDS)WITH KEY ON CAR NOT RUNNING

OTHER THAN THAT EVERYTHING ELSE IS IN EXCELLANT WORKING CONDITION TIGHT , SOLID , CORRECT
Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM
MRDZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=lisoundsvette;1576784741]MORE HELP NEEDED

HI GUYS

1994 RED / RED ZR1

WELL I JUST CHECKED OUT THE CAR IN DETAIL TODAY & TOOK THE CAR FOR A SHORT RIDE.

THE PRICE ON THE PARTS... AND... ESTIMATED LABOR ...ALSO WHAT TYPE/BRAND OF PART DO YOU RECOMEND

Guys, corrected me if I'm wrong
Callaway installed an alloy FW, so no issue, the rattle is normal because this unit does not absorb vibration/harmonic frequencies as good as the OEM Findanza dual mass unit.

1A- CLUTCH FEELS GOOD BUT IF I WERE TO REPLACE WITH A LIGHT WEIGHT SINGLE MASS WHICH ONE

Make sure you don't already have one! I have a Findanza on mine

Should, yes! You can also get them rebuilt by Bilstein for about 150$ each.

Also oil maybe? Does it idle rough! The LT-5 is none for it's higher oil consumption due to the Nikasil cylinder walls, this is not an issue unless someone in this forum had this issue and knows the real cause? Mine does drink some oil!

4- PUMP UNDER RIGHT HEADLIGHT CYCLES OFTEN (EVERY 5 SECONDS)WITH KEY ON CAR NOT RUNNING

I think no issue also, it runs for a few second to charge up the secondaries. If the car pulls strong at full throttle it means the pump is doing it's job and there's no leaks.

OTHER THAN THAT EVERYTHING ELSE IS IN EXCELLANT WORKING CONDITION TIGHT , SOLID , CORRECT.
Go get her!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

[QUOTE=MRDZR1;1576785021]
Originally Posted by lisoundsvette
MORE HELP NEEDED

HI GUYS

1994 RED / RED ZR1

Guys, corrected me if I'm wrong
Callaway installed an alloy FW, so no issue, the rattle is normal because this unit does not absorb vibration/harmonic frequencies as good as the OEM Findanza dual mass unit.

Make sure you don't already have one! I have a Findanza on mine

Should, yes! You can also get them rebuilt by Bilstein for about 150$ each.

Also oil maybe? Does it idle rough! The LT-5 is none for it's higher oil consumption due to the Nikasil cylinder walls, this is not an issue unless someone in this forum had this issue and knows the real cause? Mine does drink some oil!

I think no issue also, it runs for a few second to charge up the secondaries. If the car pulls strong at full throttle it means the pump is doing it's job and there's no leaks.

OTHER THAN THAT EVERYTHING ELSE IS IN EXCELLANT WORKING CONDITION TIGHT , SOLID , CORRECT.
Go get her!
Well said!!!

Check with Callaway and the build sheet from them on the upgrades they did on it.

I think there is a lightweight flywheel installed and that is the typical rattle you get. The only way to get rid of the "rattle" is to upgrade your transmission to a "ballanced and blueprinted" tranny from bill boudreau (www.zfdoc.com)

Expensive, but makes shifting the trans like slicing butter. Well worth it in my opinion....

Hope you can bring it down to the DC / MD / PA area where we can check your new Callaway out and help you with issues.

David
Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

If the pump under the headlight cycles more than every 30 seconds or so, there's a vacuum leak in the secondary system. It's not normal to cycle every 5 seconds.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMed
If the pump under the headlight cycles more than every 30 seconds or so, there's a vacuum leak in the secondary system. It's not normal to cycle every 5 seconds.
what he said above... and a little smoke on startup is normal. Once it is running you shouldn't have it. Shocks are easy...do it yourself. Hell do all 4 and get Bilstein to send you the Morocca valving.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 PM
anniv88
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMed

I disagree about the smoke on startup. that is not normal unless
you have a '90' (no exhaust valve seals ).

If you buy the car you might want to consider takeing the car to
Callaway for a checkup. They can tell you about the car and take
care of any little problems you might have.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 AM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by anniv88

I disagree about the smoke on startup. that is not normal unless
you have a '90' (no exhaust valve seals ).

If you buy the car you might want to consider takeing the car to
Callaway for a checkup. They can tell you about the car and take
care of any little problems you might have.
I agree about the smoke startup, but not about taking the ZR-1 to the Callaway shop.

Callaway is the place to take a Twin Turbo, but not an LT5....

David
Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by lisoundsvette
MORE HELP NEEDED

HI GUYS

1994 RED / RED ZR1

OTHER THAN THAT EVERYTHING ELSE IS IN EXCELLANT WORKING CONDITION TIGHT , SOLID , CORRECT
I'll add my 2 cents and give this a Nothing listed 'cept maybe one - the smoke on startup - is anything but normal minor stuff.

The stock FW is a 45# dual mass, sprung hub affair which smooths out the normal V8 impulse that rattle the ZF synchros. Switching to an aluminum (Fidanza...LOVE mine, BTW) will result in some rattle. However, as mentioned, Bill at ZFdoc.com can tweak the ZF to a fine degree and those that have done it say it cures that rattle. That said, so does increasing the idle speed to 750 or even 800. Marc Haibeck (one name you will become familiar with as a ZR-1 owner) bumped mine. No ZF rattle here anymore!

http://www.youtube.com/user/zzzrfun#p/a/u/0/y1YFa8ruh8A

BTW, a throwout bearing doesn't rattle when not engaged and be silent when engaged. They're typically quiet until engaged. Then they squeal and grind and carry on. Now, it could be a bad pilot bushing and or input bearing on the trans, but that is a very remote possibility. I'm just sayin'.

Far as the shock leaking, as others have said, it can be rebuilt. Having said that, a trace of oil causing dirt to collect on /around the shock over time is not all that unusual. Clean it off and then keep an eye on it. If it gets wet again, then for sure it needs to be overhauled. No biggie.

The vacuum pump charges the secondary reservoir and sustains the vacuum - thus keeping the secondaries open - under WOT. If the pump does shut off, in a couple seconds or so, but does shut off, then your leak is very minor; likely that rubber splice where the line goes under the plenum. In any case, the engine picks up the vacuum chores as soon as it starts, and the small vacuum leak will not impede the operation of you secondaries until you get around to fixing it. No worries there, is my point, and pretty easy to fix and find parts for.

The little smoke...may be nothing serious at all. A characteristic of the floating sleeves in these engines is to have some blow-by. Therefore some oil gets past the PVCs and is cycled back to the plenum near the throttle body. Some oil will usually run down the runners and pool on top of the intake valves at rest. When started up, there will be a little smoke. 90 models have more of this than later years, as there were no seals on the exhaust valve stems. But, to some extent, a little puff of blue on startup is common. Having said that, if it were me contemplating the purchase, I would want to do a compression check. If compression is uniform and generally above say 200 (mine averages 220 ±), then I wouldn't be too concerned...as long as it was just at startup when you see the smoke.

Anywayz...My impression from what you said is the car is probably all good. And, there are several gurus around the country that specialize in these rare Corvettes that can fix anything, if not someone in the "Brotherhood". You'll also want to get familiar with some of them that hang out exclusively at the ZR-1 Registry.

Good luck!

P.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like people said, SN 475/490's included a steel single-mass flywheel. It will rattle in neutral with your foot off the clutch.

Vacuum pump isn't normal, but not concerning. It's common and if it cycles on, it means it holds some vacuum. It should be enough to engage the secondaries. Though you'll certainly want to address it at some point.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

All the wisdom presented above Sounds like your looking at a solid car. If you do not decide to pick her up can you pass the info onto the Z brothers maybe someone else can jump on it.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
I agree about the smoke startup, but not about taking the ZR-1 to the Callaway shop.

Callaway is the place to take a Twin Turbo, but not an LT5....

David
I beg your pardon

We led the way with our RPO B2K cars and continued with the LT5 SuperNatural (and LT1/4 SuperNatural) Series cars. This legacy continues today with our current SuperVettes!

Powerfully Engineered, is much more than a company tag line
Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Like people said, SN 475/490's included a steel single-mass flywheel. It will rattle in neutral with your foot off the clutch.

Vacuum pump isn't normal, but not concerning. It's common and if it cycles on, it means it holds some vacuum. It should be enough to engage the secondaries. Though you'll certainly want to address it at some point.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
I beg your pardon

We led the way with our RPO B2K cars and continued with the LT5 SuperNatural (and LT1/4 SuperNatural) Series cars. This legacy continues today with our current SuperVettes!

NO Z for you DAVID!

Glad to see a top tuner still willing to work some magic on our cars, Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Your local if you need any help lemme know. Also the http://www.zr1.net/forum/index.php is your new friend.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
NO fast Z for you DAVID!
Fixed it for you Ricky

Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
I beg your pardon

I would generalize that for any car, you want to take it somewhere that sees many of that car. No one is doubting the power or quality of the SN475/490 builds Callaway has done, nor their ability to do quality work. But at this point, how many ZR-1s are they seeing in their shop?

It also is not necessary to take it there (or any shop, unless the owner is so inclined) to fix a front shock and some vacuum lines. Part of what makes Z's fun is wrenching on something that people think is so "complex", and a big part of what makes C4's affordable is fixing them yourself.

That said, the owner is in NY, maybe Callaway isn't that far from him. In which case it would be pretty cool to visit with the car, see where it all happened, in addition to getting those issues resolved.

Get notified of new replies

To ? On 1994 zr1 part2

Quick Reply: ? On 1994 zr1 part2