C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

sell 69 ...buy 1990 zr-1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 PM
vintage-racer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. Yeah pretty funny. I've had a few of my fellow c3 folks sort of chew on me a bit about even considering this, and I am seriously considering. I'm not afraid of the maintanance issues. I had to laugh about some of the responses on the c3 area about maintaining a ZR-1. I know it's not setting points with a match book but I don't need a NASA launch computer and a witch doctor either. I've enjoyed turning wrenches since I was a child and I'm a very quick study. The GrandSport comment gave me a chuckle as well. Pretty yes,But No way is a GS ever going to have the ultimate appeal of the King of the Hill.
I also had a comment about ZR-1s being modded beaten on and returned to stock trim to be put up for sale.....that never happened to a 40+ year old Stingray I'm sure
I have some contact info from a few forum members in central Indiana who have graciously offered to let me check out their Zs. I'm looking forward to finding the time to take a few of them up on those invitations. I've been told if I drive one I'll have to have one....
As a side note I must admit I enjoy the warm welcome I've recieved here on the ZR-1 board....Thanks guys.
Originally Posted by locobob
Wow everyone should check out the posts on this in the C3 section, some funny stuff. Someone just suggested a 96GS as a better "rare and historic" alternative. Hate to tell the guy he's just got an LT-4 with a fancy paint job. Must have missed the GS 24hr record run and don't recall it being referred to as the "Corvette from Hell" either.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Redline7g
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Like said above, they are two different animals. The only thing the same about them is the letters on the rear end. I think you put it best when you asked if any of us owned a 68-72 and drove a ZR-1. The 68-72's aren't much fun driving after a few minutes, and especially on long trips. Most people just own them. The ZR-1's though, are driving cars. As far as price apreciation potential I'd have to go with the ZR-1. While they haven't bottomed yet, they're pretty close, and I think they have a better upside 5 - 10 years out when the steel bumper cars are over 50 years old.
There's no doubt that the ZR-1's will be the big block cars of their day, but that day is still a lot of years away so buy it, drive it, and enjoy it. I've yet to hear one person that ever said they regretted buying one.

Last edited by Redline7g; 02-25-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:07 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline7g
There's no doubt that the ZR-1's will be the big block cars of their day, but that day is still a lot of years away so buy it, drive it, and enjoy it. I've yet to hear one person that ever said they regretted buying one.
I don't agree with this. Big blocks were already very desirable within just a few years of their final production. The analogy fails because unlike big blocks, the ZR-1s were followed by faster and higher horsepower cars. Big blocks were followed by progressively less and less performance - until the C4s came along.

When I purchased my first Corvette, a 1964 365HP in 1981, it was considerably faster than any new Corvette that could be purchased. The later C3s had a reputation for poor performance, poor quality, and overwrought styling that made Corvette enthusiasts in particular, and performance enthusiasts in general highly value the C2 generation.

By 1978, when the Pace Car was introduced to great fanfare, big blocks were already highly prized and rising in value quickly. In 1981, I remember that some big blocks were worth more than brand new Corvette. And by the mid 80s, some were worth multiples of a new Corvette.

While the ZR-1 will ultimately take its place in the collector world as a valuable car - especially given its rarity - I see it more along the lines of an early Fuel injected car - more like the 58s to 60s. They were the first in a long line of performance oriented vehicles that none-the-less were exciting to drive and beautiful to behold.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 AM
vettn71
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvettes have a special value-life that seems to follow a similar trend for all years. I bought my 71 LS5 convertible in 86 for $7000. As I poured money into it the value never got above $20k. My Corvette buddies all said it was a boat anchor, it was fugly, a floppy-axle, not a real Corvette, a POS, LT-1s were the car to have. Then, about 7 years ago the value started up. Now the early C3s are featured in car magazines, everyone loves them, the 454 is a great engine, they're beautiful, blah, blah, blah. It takes 40 years for a Corvette to hit its stride. So, yes, I see the LT5 being the big-block of the era, not only for its HP, but for the uniqueness of it. You don't have to agree, but that's my opinion.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by vettn71
Corvettes have a special value-life that seems to follow a similar trend for all years. I bought my 71 LS5 convertible in 86 for $7000. As I poured money into it the value never got above $20k. My Corvette buddies all said it was a boat anchor, it was fugly, a floppy-axle, not a real Corvette, a POS, LT-1s were the car to have. Then, about 7 years ago the value started up. Now the early C3s are featured in car magazines, everyone loves them, the 454 is a great engine, they're beautiful, blah, blah, blah. It takes 40 years for a Corvette to hit its stride. So, yes, I see the LT5 being the big-block of the era, not only for its HP, but for the uniqueness of it. You don't have to agree, but that's my opinion.

And, as has been mentioned, I too have discovered the tendency of the younger folks, those brought up on DOHC Hondas, etc, are much more likely to be knowledgeable regarding the LT5 than the "unwashed (older) masses". I've sat in a chair next to my ZR-1 at shows with the hood up and see the hordes of older muscle car generation folks glance and continue walking without even a glimmer of realization of what they just saw may not have ever seen before. And, several times I then see a younger car person do a double-take, freezing in his tracks and then come over to look and sometimes take pictures and ask questions and even call his friends over to look.

P.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I transitioned from a c3 "mutt" BB vette. I love the style and the roar of the old big block and at first the zr-1 just didn't appeal to me.

it was too expensive, as heavy as the BB car and not as sexy and curvy

but as I got older, I really got tired of always working on the vette and dumping money into it. I sold my BB car and bought a DRM 450 up ZR-1 with 4.10 gears man, the ZR-1 was just so much more comfortable, handled and braked better and was ultra responsive

I drove the wheels off that ZR-1 and I'm pretty sure it's still going strong

the LT5 is a very strong engine, not only beautiful but super responsive

I discovered DRIVING the corvette when I got my first ZR-1 and for sure I was smitten by the call of the beast

4 ZR-1 later I have an LSV 390 ZR-1 which will do 508 rwhp.

it's not as fast and doesn't handle as well as the TT Z06 tiger shark I also have, but the roar of the ZR-1 and the looks, feel of the ZF box and that special something about the ZR-1 keeps me hanging onto it.

I still look fondly and would love to have a C3, but now I'm hankering for a TT or LS9 "restomod" which combines the sex appeal with the modern handling. problem is they are really expensive to build and I have way too many toys as it is.

my advice is like the others, find a way to KEEP the C3 and get a ZR-1

both have very strong appeal and your BB C3 looks great

look up another ZR-1 owner and have them take you for a ride. that will help with your choice

good luck
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I like c4's because of the different driving personality and nostalgia for me, but you may lose that with if you trade away the C3. If you want a better vette, A C6 is money better spent and the aftermarket is there in spades.

The C4 ZR-1, as mentioned by Rkreigh, sort of has the last of the classic feel with the transmission actually mated to the engine for the best shift feel and classic weight distribution characteristics.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

I was unable to let the C3 go, I spent too much time and money on it's restoration. I fell in love with the style............so I kept both!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The LT5 comparison to the LT1 or L98, there isnt any. Sure you can hop in one of those for less but the power is a joke and flat powerbands (LT1) are pretty...well boring. lol
They all take to mods but there isnt another motor Im aware of with simply porting headers and a tune that can crack 500hp with stock bottom end and cams..that will take a beating and not break while passing the sniffer.

Like looking at the pics of the C3 I used to have, bodies and interiors are timeless but what a tank in comparison to the ZR1. Youll be happy with it.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Mikey Morris
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you should keep the C3 and try to get a Zr1 in the near future when things become more feasible for you to have both

Quick Reply: sell 69 ...buy 1990 zr-1 ?