C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

HELP!! Plenum 4CAM32VALVE lettering

Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Plenum 4CAM32VALVE lettering

soooo i desided to go ahead and refinish the plenum on my z because the finish was chipping off of the trottle body along with some nasty stains on the plenum from the previous owner..i recently purchased the paint from lingenfelter to redo it but now that i have it prepped and ready for paint the usual method i use for the letters wont work...i tried using tape and cutting out the letters with an exacto blade but i cant get a clean edge...car show season is around the corner and my engine is still apart...can anyone help?

ps: i'm a college student and i pretty much spend every dime i have on this car and dont have any extra cash to get it professionally done or else i would have did that in the first place. thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Testors model paint, fine brushes, and a steady hand.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Originally Posted by VetteMed
thanks haha
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

of course as soon as i postted this i found this thread (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...lettering.html) while reading o ne member (Sectn8) had experience with the lingenfelter paint and said "The problem came up when we sprayed the black it started to eat away at the gray paint and bubbled it all up. Our conclusion was to paint the letters first and then go to a hobby shop and get Parma International Liquid Mask #701. This is a liquid that you paint on the letters and after it dries spray the gray. When everything is dry pick out the dried mask and your good to go."
Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

He is not kidding thats how you do it. The other option is to spray paint it with BBQ paint using a cutout like they did at the Stillwater OK plant during production. Which pretty much are your options since you cant pay someone to do it for you.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:30 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
He is not kidding thats how you do it. The other option is to spray paint it with BBQ paint using a cutout like they did at the Stillwater OK plant during production. Which pretty much are your options since you cant pay someone to do it for you.
Yep............this video at 3:12 shows how they did it at the factory.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM
andersra
Intermediate

That was a great video. Thanks for posting it.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
thats what i was thinking but any chance of paint getting under the edges of the stencil? i was thining about using bristol board which is like a cardboard paper but wasnt sure if i could get a clean edge or not
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

I used Gorilla tape to mask off the plenum and then cutout the areas
(with an Exacto knife)where the tape covered the lettering. Then sprayed it.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Ah...Heck wiff all dat stencils, masking tape and all dat dare crapola!!...

Use fine camel hair brushes and high temp acrylic of your choice, and lay the paint it in there - and don't worry 'bout getting it where it shouldn't be. Just be sure you cover the bottom and the sides of the recesses of the plenum/cam covers.

Then, dampen a Q-tip with acetone (fingernail polish remover - damp, but not wet!) and wipe off the excess paint that got onto surfaces where you don't want it.
Note: The paint on the painted parts should be cured (not still soft) or the acetone might lift some of the paint. So, wait a few days before doing the lettering to give the paint a chance to cure a bit. JMO.
I've tried this a number of ways; stencils, masking, and for a onezy twozy situation, i.e., not doing plenums in quantity, it is far easier than anything else I've tried, and the results are outstanding...IMO!

Not the plenum, but you have a look. It took me maybe 30 minutes, start to finish to do the cam covers (both). Just don't let the paint sit too long before using the Q-tip/acetone.

Good luck!

P.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

Use fine camel hair brushes and high temp acrylic of your choice, and lay the paint it in there - and don't worry 'bout getting it where it shouldn't be. Just be sure you cover the bottom and the sides of the recesses of the plenum/cam covers.

Then, dampen a Q-tip with acetone (fingernail polish remover - damp, but not wet!) and wipe off the excess paint that got onto surfaces where you don't want it.
Note: The paint on the painted parts should be cured (not still soft) or the acetone might lift some of the paint. So, wait a few days before doing the lettering to give the paint a chance to cure a bit. JMO.
I've tried this a number of ways; stencils, masking, and for a onezy twozy situation, i.e., not doing plenums in quantity, it is far easier than anything else I've tried, and the results are outstanding...IMO!

Not the plenum, but you have a look. It took me maybe 30 minutes, start to finish to do the cam covers (both). Just don't let the paint sit too long before using the Q-tip/acetone.

Good luck!

P.

Pretty sexy there Paul
Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

Good luck!

P.
Thank you Paul. You cam covers look amazing and no lie I’m kind of jealous. This is by far the best idea because i was so worried on painting the curves and edges and making sure i don’t screw up. I’m trying to make i look as close to factory as possible and i think this is going to be the best way. i think I’m going to do my cam covers as well now that i don’t have to pull them out of the car to do so. Thanks a bunch
Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

for anyone that is interested here’s where I’m at so far (note: i am not a pro painter or even going to school to be a mechanic. this is what i enjoy doing and I’m learning as i go from my bible (aka service manual) and this forum. i am open to feedback and any tips are helpful. thanks)

Engine plenum, throttle body, and air horn prepped and ready for paint:

after air system:

before:

refinished sheilds and vacuum lines:

my baby:
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

That vid is great - thanks Jim!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job, what wheels do you have on her?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Looking good, young man
Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Yep, that's what I did.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! Plenum 4CAM32VALVE lettering

Old 03-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Does anyone know it they make raised letter for these cars?
(plenum and valve covers)
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
Nice job, what wheels do you have on her?
Ricky,

You saw that too.....

We are wheel ho's and interested to see them!

David
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Interesting, says in the vid the plenums were powdercoated then sprayed the letters, always thought the plenums were simply painted that grey color. Powdercoat wouldnt stain Id think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!! Plenum 4CAM32VALVE lettering