C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What did Mercury Marine learn...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Default What did Mercury Marine learn...

...when they participated in the building of the LT5 engine? I've read that GM learned many thing about engines/engine building, from the LT5, and that those lessons have been exploited in the LSx engines and Northstar among others. But what was Mercury Marine's take-away from their roll with the LT5?

How many of you have seen this BAD, ****....

http://marinetechnologyinc.com/2011/...ercury-racing/

That^ is some pretty bland marketing stuff, but here is a vid of two in action in a 31' cat in Havasu. Watch the tach(s), and the Speedo. Unfreakin believable! 7000 RPM from a 9L V8. 170+ mph in a 31' boat. PUMP GAS. Warranty! The thing is FBA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3Xm...layer_embedded

So I began to wonder, what features from the ZR-1, found their way in to the 1350 QC4v? Hard to say b/c info is limited so far, but it looks like the cam drive and cam bearings may be the same idea, looking at the pics and the compactness of the package, adn this picture;

Also, here is some interesting reading where they mention "GM Institute"?

http://www.mercuryracing.com/blog/“y...221;/#more-971

Anywa, I was read about, and lusting over this new engine, and I couldn't help but wonder how Mercury's past experience w/the LT5 helped contribute to this new monster.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-21-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Incredible. M/M sure put together a heck of an engine.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Very cool but I didn't see a valet key
Listening to it in the boat it sounded like an outboard, but the videos from shore definitely sounded all V8 car muscle
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

All I could hear in the in-boat vid was the turbo's spooling. When he poured on the throttle after that gentle turn, from :53-1:10....I wondered if the turbos were ever going to stop cranking more boost!

Originally Posted by FU
Incredible. M/M sure put together a heck of an engine.
You aren't kidding. That thing is awesome.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Very cool but I didn't see a valet key
LOL!

I'm not a boat person, but... HOLY CRAP!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 PM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
LOL!

I'm not a boat person, but... HOLY CRAP!
I second that 'Holy Crap' part! The shots from the shore in the video sounded just awesome!! And that boat has TWO of those gigantic engines?? No wonder it can do 170MPH at 6800 RPM on the water!

I'd love to have a ride on that thing at those speeds, what a rush that would be!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That 9.0 L Turbo V8 belongs in a 1990's ZR-1 or C4 Vert.
Make the cars Bright Corvette Red for me. LOL

Brian
Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Mercury Marine got a whole lot less than they were hoping for out of this deal with GM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

certainly the special tooling and high tolerance manufacturing was not "new" to mercury marine but as the first "boat motor" to go into a car the LT5 built some special comradere and pride that was "different" than working exclusively on boat engines

MM got the contract due to their expertise with close tolerance work and I don't think they "learned" as much as chevy did about the passion of putting together one of the best engines in the world.

the engineering and design work certainly carried over, and chevy learned how to get the good bottom end strength and build the cheap hp they crank out today

but IMHO, ford has "showed them up" with the 5.0 coyote engine

light, cheap, good hp, and best of all a nice DOHC design time will tell how durable it is but the mustang boys are already turboing and dropping TVS blowers on them

sure like to see GM do something like this for the C8 pushrod technology has reached the limit IMHO of refinement and variable cam timing with all 4 cams phasing based on the most efficient setup (or even better still, full variable valve lift) is going to have to happen to get more power and efficiency going forward

I still like the coates rotary valve concept and wish gm would get off the schied and do that. seems like it would flow a ton and rev to the moon, and parts "left out" don't break
Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
certainly the special tooling and high tolerance manufacturing was not "new" to mercury marine but as the first "boat motor" to go into a car the LT5 built some special comradere and pride that was "different" than working exclusively on boat engines

MM got the contract due to their expertise with close tolerance work and I don't think they "learned" as much as chevy did about the passion of putting together one of the best engines in the world.

the engineering and design work certainly carried over, and chevy learned how to get the good bottom end strength and build the cheap hp they crank out today

but IMHO, ford has "showed them up" with the 5.0 coyote engine

light, cheap, good hp, and best of all a nice DOHC design time will tell how durable it is but the mustang boys are already turboing and dropping TVS blowers on them

sure like to see GM do something like this for the C8 pushrod technology has reached the limit IMHO of refinement and variable cam timing with all 4 cams phasing based on the most efficient setup (or even better still, full variable valve lift) is going to have to happen to get more power and efficiency going forward

I still like the coates rotary valve concept and wish gm would get off the schied and do that. seems like it would flow a ton and rev to the moon, and parts "left out" don't break
Poppet style engine valves are superior to any other design in 4 cycle V-8 engine. DOHC or pushrod layout.
There is an actual working theory behind it that works.
More than just mean airflow.
Ferrari does it one step better I hear.
Use no valvesprings.

Brian
Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Poppet style engine valves are superior to any other design in 4 cycle V-8 engine. DOHC or pushrod layout.
There is an actual working theory behind it that works.
More than just mean airflow.
Ferrari does it one step better I hear.
Use no valve springs.

Brian
That's going to be the next revolution...electro-mechanical valves. It has been in the works for years, and the reliability is what they are working on before releasing to the general public.

Imagine a car where you can completely change the engine dynamics at the push of a button. VVT at its highest form...everything computer controlled.

You want high mileage? The computer gives you lift, overlap and duration for that condition and injects JUST the right amount of fuel to give it a lean-burn condition.

You want a track car? Another push of the button and it becomes a snarling, loping beast. Nothing to change inside the motor...just software changes to make it do what you want.

F1 cars fixed the valve spring problem by using pneumatics or hydraulics.

The only problem with electro-mechanical valves is with ALL the other electronics in the car, this will call for an even larger alternator to keep all the electronics running. Soon they'll need a hydrogen fuel cell just to power the car, and then the motor can drive it

But think of the possibilities
Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Tom,

"Also, here is some interesting reading where they mention "GM Institute"?"

I'm a graduate of GMI. Now called Kettering University. Was a wholly owned subsidiary of GM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
That's going to be the next revolution...electro-mechanical valves. It has been in the works for years, and the reliability is what they are working on before releasing to the general public.

Imagine a car where you can completely change the engine dynamics at the push of a button. VVT at its highest form...everything computer controlled.

You want high mileage? The computer gives you lift, overlap and duration for that condition and injects JUST the right amount of fuel to give it a lean-burn condition.

You want a track car? Another push of the button and it becomes a snarling, loping beast. Nothing to change inside the motor...just software changes to make it do what you want.

F1 cars fixed the valve spring problem by using pneumatics or hydraulics.

The only problem with electro-mechanical valves is with ALL the other electronics in the car, this will call for an even larger alternator to keep all the electronics running. Soon they'll need a hydrogen fuel cell just to power the car, and then the motor can drive it

But think of the possibilities
Yeah I think they need 24 volts to operate this system, which would mean a huge transition from 12 volt stuff to 24 volt stuff, which is certainly possible, but would turn the auto industry on its head from a circuitry standpoint.

I posted in O/T....that should get interesting!

Last edited by WydGlydJim; 03-24-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 AM
motodog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt ducati have the valve connected to the rocker

Get notified of new replies

To What did Mercury Marine learn...

Quick Reply: What did Mercury Marine learn...