C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Windshield Stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Mine also has a few finger prints.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by VetBoyZR1
This is probably the worst I have ever seen. I say that because it is so obvious, and I can barely capture the problem with my camera because of reflections. This situation is really hard to get a good picture of. (except in your case)
My 90 looks almost identical. Arrrrggggghhhh...........
Old 04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

As an option for windshield replacements, I came across this while researching window tint. It's called AIR Blue, and it's intended to be legal for applying to windshields. I'm thinking it could be applied on a clear C4 windshield, but done with a cutout to maintain some of the stock look, and of course the benefit of the UV/IR blocking to keep the interior cool.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

This windshield thread has got me thinking - I see other GM vehicles occasionally, with the laminated windshield (minivans, some Buicks b-bodies, others), and I have not seen any delamination on them. I wonder if there's something unique to our windshields, or perhaps the technology was simply improved in later applications?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMed
As an option for windshield replacements, I came across this while researching window tint. It's called AIR Blue, and it's intended to be legal for applying to windshields. I'm thinking it could be applied on a clear C4 windshield, but done with a cutout to maintain some of the stock look, and of course the benefit of the UV/IR blocking to keep the interior cool.
Sounds good to me as an alternative to a high priced ZR-1 windshield.

Do you have a link for the AIR blue ? I will look around and see if it is out there on the web.

I would prefer my cut out, no matter how un original, to be at the top to the left of the rear view mirror. I consider that the best place to position the V1 for quick dismount during any kind of a traffic stop. I believe the cops impression of me could be downgraded by having the V1 in plain view.

My 91 Z won the "Delamination Award" at the ZR-1 West Coast get together back in 2006. The delam doesn't affect the view out the windshield. However, the 106K plus miles on it has pitted the windshield considerably and I will replace it.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

There's some info about air blue, but I can't seem to find the official Llumar info page about it.

My windshield is also very pitted from 180k+ miles, lots of sand chips, etc and I'll probably end up replacing it with a clear C4 windshield + Air blue. Hard to justify the big cash outlay for a "correct" windshield on a car that's obviously not original in many other ways

Originally Posted by Bigvmaxx
Sounds good to me as an alternative to a high priced ZR-1 windshield.

Do you have a link for the AIR blue ? I will look around and see if it is out there on the web.

I would prefer my cut out, no matter how un original, to be at the top to the left of the rear view mirror. I consider that the best place to position the V1 for quick dismount during any kind of a traffic stop. I believe the cops impression of me could be downgraded by having the V1 in plain view.

My 91 Z won the "Delamination Award" at the ZR-1 West Coast get together back in 2006. The delam doesn't affect the view out the windshield. However, the 106K plus miles on it has pitted the windshield considerably and I will replace it.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:58 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's some info on "Air Blue" from one of their outlets.

http://www.tintplus.com/default.cfm?...nting-air-blue
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got rid of the old GM POS windshield. Delaminated all around both sides, across the top, and quite a bit even in the center. It's hard to photograph how bad these get because of reflections, but maybe you can see how bad mine was in the picture:

The car almost looked better with NO windshield in it!

Now, the new Saint Gobain looks PERFECT!

I've decided to replace the weatherstrip while I'm at it, since it did not come off in great health. The car looks so much better now!

Notice there are no white strips around the perimeter of the new windshield. It looks like new again!

Last edited by VetBoyZR1; 04-19-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

After removing the old windshield, I took a close look around the edges. I could have shoved a knife in between the glass layers, there was that much delamination. I am so glad this is over with.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great! What's a Saint Gobain?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

I thought I was the only psychopath that would attempt this.One of these days Ill be doing the Z......not lookin forward to it.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-20-2011, 06:51 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

I've been putting this off for five years now. Bought the replacement windshield 4 years ago. It was just time to get it over with. Before you do yours, have a plan for the weatherstrip - just in case you don't like the way the old one comes off. The OEM pieces are becoming hard to get, and I hear the aftermarket stuff is not good quality. Prices are HIGH!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

I've been putting this off for five years now. Bought the replacement windshield 4 years ago. It was just time to get it over with. Before you do yours, have a plan for the weatherstrip - just in case you don't like the way the old one comes off. The OEM pieces are becoming hard to get, and I hear the aftermarket stuff is not good quality. Prices are HIGH!
From what Ive seen its next to impossible to get the weatherstripping off without destroying it.I do need to get the weatherstripping here pretty soon before its gone.Ive got one piece of the trim Ive had for years,might get the other side just to have it.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
From what Ive seen its next to impossible to get the weatherstripping off without destroying it.I do need to get the weatherstripping here pretty soon before its gone.Ive got one piece of the trim Ive had for years,might get the other side just to have it.
Jeff,

We have had many Z windshields installed in Maryland and most have reinstalled the original weatherstrip. If the weatherstrip was "worn" then most replaced it....

I'm looking up alternatives for Carl, but OEM seems the only way to go.

David
Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
Jeff,

We have had many Z windshields installed in Maryland and most have reinstalled the original weatherstrip. If the weatherstrip was "worn" then most replaced it....

I'm looking up alternatives for Carl, but OEM seems the only way to go.

David
It would have to be OEM,Ive heard the horror stories about the aftermarket stuff.Anybody know who makes this for G.M?I read somewhere it was Metro but not sure if thats true.Regardless I dont think the company that makes this could sell the same part to the public.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:59 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

I'm replacing the weatherstrip tomorrow. Paid around $330 for OEM for the windshield piece. I'm now price checking around to get replacements for the halo and the back hatch window. Best prices I'm seeing right now are $300 for the halo piece and $220 for the hatch. That seems pricey, but you wouldn't believe what some vendors want for this stuff! Anyone see any better prices around than I just posted? If you notice your weatherstrip starting to tear, you might want to look into getting replacements while you still can. I keep hearing the aftermarket stuff is not good quality. My prices were for OEM.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
I hear what David is saying, but it's not likely you can scrape the weatherstrip off and re-use it. After all this trouble, there's no way I'd want to glue the old stuff back in. I was as careful as I could be, trying to be cheap and use the old piece (trying to save $300 !!!), but I just don't think it's the right thing to do (on your own car). I have no doubt that an installer could glue the old piece back in, but I wouldn't be happy with that after seeing what it looks like after it's cut out, even with a sharp razor..

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Stories

Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

I'm using a product from 3M called Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive #08008 (5 oz tube) on my new weatherstrip. If you have anything to say - please do it quickly!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

I hear what David is saying, but it's not likely you can scrape the weatherstrip off and re-use it. After all this trouble, there's no way I'd want to glue the old stuff back in. I was as careful as I could be, trying to be cheap and use the old piece (trying to save $300 !!!), but I just don't think it's the right thing to do (on your own car). I have no doubt that an installer could glue the old piece back in, but I wouldn't be happy with that after seeing what it looks like after it's cut out, even with a sharp razor..
When I did the windshield in that 84 there was no way it was going to be saved,the weatherstripping was perfect,not a bad spot in the whole piece.Whats strange about that windshield in the 84 I had,it had some type of formed rubber gasket between the windshield and the frame.At the time everybody thought I was nuts,these cars never had this type of gasket from the factory I was told but I kept a short piece of it.Its got some type of white thread molded into it.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Originally Posted by 902066
Looks great! What's a Saint Gobain?
Saint Gobain is the European company that made a batch of ZR-1 windshields when GM couldn't do any better than this:

Saint Gobain makes glass for some high end companies, and I think even some VW models.

Quick Reply: Windshield Stories