C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Real world difference?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 AM
C4Fanatic
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Skunk'd him, eh?

I wonder if he really knew what bit 'im?

Twaz great meeting you, Dave. Look forward to seeing you again! And, BTW, the FBI gang has a few routes along rivers that would pass for a decent "cruise". Mebby next time you're in town we'll go exploring a couple of them?

P.
Yep, he got Skunk Bit...

Was great hanging out with you fine folks this weekend as well Paul. Learned a lot of things about the Z I did not know. Nothing like a line of LT5's going down the road together to attract a little attention. I'll have to make it back up this way. Talking to the wife about FunFest...so we shall see.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

to the orig poster:

so you drove a regular 6 spd car and a 94 ZR-1...what was your take on the comparison? did the owner let you wring it out?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:56 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Familiar with the difference between night and day?

Not everyone has a 415 Dwight!

Mabe the difference between early morning, and very late afternoon.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Had a C5 that thought he was going to pick on a lowly C4 one night...after several runs from 60-70 where he was totally embarrassed, he gave up I'm sure wondering WTF. Had it been during the day, he might have seen the ZR-1 emblems and wide azz tires...that's the difference between night and day!
had this happen to me too
Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OP... If you don't really understand the motor and swoon over it, buy a base C4 and be happy. While the ZR1 will beat the Toyota, in some ways, that's not the point. Its all about the engine. Its the jewel of all the vette engines ever made. (Only wish it had a flat plane crank to rev to maybe 8000 or so.) If you don't really love engines and how they sound and how the pull high revs and its just about having a fast car, go for something other than a ZR1.

Gordon
Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Had a C5 that thought he was going to pick on a lowly C4 one night...after several runs from 60-70 where he was totally embarrassed, he gave up I'm sure wondering WTF. Had it been during the day, he might have seen the ZR-1 emblems and wide azz tires...that's the difference between night and day!

Nuttin' like a 5-2 downshift at 50 to take the smug outta many a would-be schmart azz. They get treated to hear an LT5 in it's prime zone! And, to add insult to injury, you're blipping the throttle at the point he would have to be grabbing the next gear - the point where the LT5 is just starting to have fun!!

P.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM
twiggelf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now test driven three C4s, a 96 CE auto, a 92 6 speed convertible, and a 94 ZR-1.
The auto didn't feel as fun to drive, though the wife in the passenger seat didn't really let me open it up. She is too paranoid when it comes to driving someone elses car. (Ex. I am car sitting my buddy's 73 L48 coupe, and she didn't even want to ride in it to go test drive the 92 vette). I think I would rather take the trade off of harder stop and go driving for the ability to make the transmition do what I want. It is a sports car after all.

The 92 was fun to drive, but it just didn't give me the kick in the pants that I expected from a sports car. More fun than my wife's 210hp toyota, but not what I expected. I will admit, that I have never really driven a sports car, but I have had a 30hp and 66hp motorcycle, so that is probably scewing my opinions.

The ZR-1 was more what I expected. It was fast, and it sounded very loud.
It has been discused in this post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...94-zr-1-a.html
The more I drive the other cars, the more I suspect that there is more done to this ZR-1 than a custom paint job and C5 Z06 wheels. This makes me worry about whether the 7 mpg was closer to acurate than I thought, and about how well the modifications have been done. This has deffinently been my favorite to drive yet (including my buddy's 73) yet I am worried that it has been tweeked into unreliability.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM
mike100
Safety Car

That local ZR-1 might be ok if you can get the price down. Change the wheels, emblems, and get the radio work fixed...probably about $2000 worth of odd repairs on any given medium mileage car...just so long as the transmission isn't in need of hard parts, the car could probably be back to 95% within 6 months in your spare time.

I could live with the two-tone for a fair price.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

When I visit the rock in the next few weeks. I'll check it out
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by twiggelf
I have now test driven three C4s, a 96 CE auto, a 92 6 speed convertible, and a 94 ZR-1.
The auto didn't feel as fun to drive, though the wife in the passenger seat didn't really let me open it up. She is too paranoid when it comes to driving someone elses car. (Ex. I am car sitting my buddy's 73 L48 coupe, and she didn't even want to ride in it to go test drive the 92 vette). I think I would rather take the trade off of harder stop and go driving for the ability to make the transmition do what I want. It is a sports car after all.

The 92 was fun to drive, but it just didn't give me the kick in the pants that I expected from a sports car. More fun than my wife's 210hp toyota, but not what I expected. I will admit, that I have never really driven a sports car, but I have had a 30hp and 66hp motorcycle, so that is probably scewing my opinions.

The ZR-1 was more what I expected. It was fast, and it sounded very loud.
It has been discused in this post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...94-zr-1-a.html
The more I drive the other cars, the more I suspect that there is more done to this ZR-1 than a custom paint job and C5 Z06 wheels. This makes me worry about whether the 7 mpg was closer to acurate than I thought, and about how well the modifications have been done. This has deffinently been my favorite to drive yet (including my buddy's 73) yet I am worried that it has been tweeked into unreliability.
1 no way is 7mpg realistic; double that even if all city
2 bet it is not tweeked much at all, let alone into "unreliability"
3 a stock ZR-1 will feel significantly faster than a 92 or 96 LT-1, and do not even mention an L-48 in the same sentence as a ZR-1, that is why we love them as we do, no surprise there/
4 these questions have all been asked an answered

Sorry to say if the big dogs scare you, get a cat and stay on the porch.
And then buy a newer V6 mustang.
It will suck the doors off of the L48 and those lt-1's won't catch it either.
Good luck

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

For what it's worth, My 95 ZR-1 feels very similar (in acceleration) to my 1967 435HP coupe.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
For what it's worth, My 95 ZR-1 feels very similar (in acceleration) to my 1967 435HP coupe.
the butt dyno can be misleading...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 AM
twiggelf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zr-1 guy
Seems to me that the butt dyno and the ear dyno are the only two that really mater unless you are racing on a track.
Originally Posted by mike100
I could live with the two-tone for a fair price.
What might you consider a fair price for the two tone car?
Originally Posted by Coupe89
When I visit the rock in the next few weeks. I'll check it out
I will definitely take you up on that offer, PM on the way. Thank You.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by zr-1 guy
When you consider that both cars run high 12s when stock (as both of mine are), then the butt dyno can be pretty accurate. Still I agree that feel can be misleading at times.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Originally Posted by twiggelf

What might you consider a fair price for the two tone car?

Fair price depends on how much play money you have to spend. I got a $20k early 375 hp car (I would have liked to have spent less). I have seen a lot of cars asking for $15k prices now (early 375 hp ones-which are for more common since like 80 percent of them were made in 90&91).

I wish I had waited a few more months as a couple of local deals have popped up since then, but on the other hand, I have been through my car fairly thoroughly and know what I have...plus it's in nicer condition that I was shopping for- so that's a bonus.

another thing is that you are in Hawaii and you are looking at a 405 hp late car so recent pricing is still a guideline at best.

Actually, the biggest worry on that car from your descriptions seems to be the lack of a functioning traction control- the radio is a given, the bose was bad design that is bad on most cars, but the traction control should be working. You might want to test it again if you are serious and find a wet spot to lock up the brakes in to at least work the abs. if the engine pulls and the trans worked smoothly, that's probably a green light, but the ancillary parts can really ad up on C4's. like I said, probably just about any C4 that isn't absolutely tip-top will eat $2000 in odd repairs right away, depending on if you are a perfectionist or trying to achieve a restoration level beyond basic functionality.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
Actually, the biggest worry on that car from your descriptions seems to be the lack of a functioning traction control
Where did he say the traction control didn't work? I've kept current on that thread and I don't remember seeing anything about the traction control. If it's not working, that could be considered a safety issue that the dealer would be a lot more willing to fix than, say, cosmetic issues. I'd make an offer contingent on the traction control being fixed by a Chevy dealer. Or maybe the dealership selling the car could fix it if you trust them.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be a lot of big things wrong with the car. You could try to find a shop that knows these cars do a pre purchase inspection to put your mind at ease. Worst case is you can't find anyone who knows ZR-1's, so take it to a Chevy dealer and they should at least be able to do an inspection of the rest of the car. When it comes to the engine, if it runs well, sounds good, has oil pressure, and doesn't overheat or smoke, then it's probably fine.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

600 H.P. 415 CI guys are getting more than 7 MPG.

Get notified of new replies

To Real world difference?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:34 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Heck the 441 get's 13.8 actual around town.Now lean on the go pedal and that figure go's to hell.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Where did he say the traction control didn't work?
i think there is a parallel thread link in post 27

Last edited by mike100; 06-29-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

For comparison, my fully ported 508 hp 350 gave up nothing to gas mileage - still gets 25-26 on cruise at 70 mph, 13-16 mixed driving.

Another thing...Forget everything you ever learned about failure rates and reliability of GM push-rod motors. They just don't apply to the LT5...period. The LT5 is a totally different animal & continues to demonstrated reliability to the point of rediculous, in direct comparision to push-rod motors in like driving conditions. They were built to win races!

FWIW,

Paul.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real world difference?