C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Real world difference?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:32 AM
twiggelf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real world difference?

I'm shopping around and was wondering what the real world difference is between a ZR-1 and a normal old C-4 (throughout the year ranges). I am in Hawaii, which limits my selection, so I am wondering if a ZR-1 is genuienly worth the extra money it will cost me.
I will not ever be racing the car, the most I will ever do is get quickly up to the speed limit (OK, plus a little)
I will drive the car, rain or shine, but this is still the second car. We already have a toyota, so this is my impracticle car (replacing a motorcycle).

Thank you, and I am looking forward to reading everyone's opinions on this great car.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:38 AM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the zr-1 is undoubtedly faster then the base car. even when you compare the 90 to a LT1 car. a few years ago when we were doing a tour at bowling green I almost rear ended a lt1. he got on it, i got on it....then i got off it before I had a new aqua hood ornament. is it worth it over a base car...that's something only you can answer
Old 06-25-2011, 03:22 AM
wcvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a nice 86 Z51 auto that I love to drive around town and run to the store. Then I have a 92 LT1 6m that is giving me trouble keeping it running right. Then there is my 1990 ZR-1 (just typing that brought on the grin). I use my ZR-1 for shows and special trips. I also drive it weekly to keep its heart in shape (doesn't hurt mine either)
The LT5 is the extra your paying from standard to ZR-1. Without it you just have a C4. People have and continue to use the ZR-1 as a DD. I don't because the car was only produced from 90 to 95 and parts are getting harder to find and more expensive. I could not own the ZR-1 as my only Corvette, I enjoy driving them too much.
Just my .02
Old 06-25-2011, 03:24 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The LT4 in the 1996 cars is about as close as you'll get to a ZR-1 for performance, but some of those are pretty pricey too.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 AM
twiggelf
Intermediate

This would be my only corvette, at least for a long while. The real question becomes, how often will I really want more power? Do I still get the fast car feel from a non ZR-1? I drove my friend's 73 L48, and it honestly turned me off of the car, since it was actually slower than my wife's Toyota Avalon. Will I find myself comparing a C4 to a Toyota? By the numbers the early one's are the same power, but the numbers are not everything. It doesn't matter how cool of a car it is, it's not a sports car if I can beat it in a Toyota.
And I suspect that I will find it even harder to find a lt4 out here in Hawaii, since it was only out one year.

Last edited by twiggelf; 06-25-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:07 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Take 3 equal c4's, i.e. equal in mileage and condition and how maintained.
1- LT-5
2- LT-4
3- LT-1

Today, June of 2011, there is a price difference between 1 and 2, but nowhere near the difference when new.
Big difference between either 1 or 2 and number 3.
Nothing at all wrong witht THe LT-1, or even the older L98's, but heither compare to the LT-4's and especailly the LT-5's.

If it costs so relativley little to step up to the higher performance cars, at least right now, why the heck wouldn't you pay the small premium and get the best.

A ZR-1 cost twice as much as the others when new, and was and remains worth every damn penny of it.
What an absolute bargain to get thet upgrade for pennys on the dollar in 2011.
Not everyone will step up, but those that do won't regret it.
This same argument occurs daily wiht the C-6 Vettes.
The base model, and especially the Grand Sport is so darn good, many question stepping up to a ZO6 or a new ZR1.
All are great!
Some are just greater!
Good Luck!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by twiggelf
This would be my only corvette, at least for a long while. The real question becomes, how often will I really want more power? Do I still get the fast car feel from a non ZR-1? I drove my friend's 73 L48, and it honestly turned me off of the car, since it was actually slower than my wife's Toyota Avalon. Will I find myself comparing a C4 to a Toyota? By the numbers the early one's are the same power, but the numbers are not everything. It doesn't matter how cool of a car it is, it's not a sports car if I can beat it in a Toyota.
And I suspect that I will find it even harder to find a lt4 out here in Hawaii, since it was only out one year.
There's no comparison between a 73 C3 with a push-rod (5500 red line) L48 with 190 hp to a C4 ZR-1 at 375 to 405 hp and a 7200 rpm limiter...Just no way to compare. For that matter, there's no comparison between a 73 L48 and a 92-96 LT1 car, and tho the 96 Grand Sport (think blue skunk with white stripe) was a limited edition and rarer than the ZR-1s, ALL of the 96 Vettes with manual shift had the LT4 - very respectable in it's own right.

With DIY plenum and injector housing porting and headers, the LT5 can make close to 470 hp at the flywheel and measure 400 RWHP. Drive that around a while and the Toyota Avalon feel like a dead fish.

Comparing the ZR-1 to a 73 L48 C3...is just...ah...not worth a second thought. You need to drive a ZR-1 and decide for yourself. Check out the FX3 "dial a ride" suspension, run it up to 7000+ rpm, slam into a few corners...THEN decide!

Then there's that shear beauty...

And, no Corvette has the song of the LT5 at WOT!

As for comparison to my previous 95 LT1 car...Just one test drive of the (then stock) ZR-1, when those 315s on the rear broke loose with throttle only...I never looked back. There was NO comparison, even between the standard C4 w/ LT1 and the stock 90 ZR-1.

Like trying to describe sex to a virgin...You'll really have to try it to see for yourself!

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-25-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:55 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

From having all 3 the Z was the fav.

Ill say this. If you dont have a place to let the car stretch its legs just get an L98. The Z likes to get some rpm up and if youre never going to be speeding/breaking the speed limit it may be frustrating in the Z. First gear maybe 2nd its over.
Seems they just start to come to life at about 80...crusing along then drop down 2 gears and mat it.
Depends how much you really like the Z over the others I suppose. Go drive one of each only you can decide it.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:48 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I enjoyed driving my '95 6 spd LT1, but it got molested on the streets light to light by a lot of euro hot rods looking for easy prey.

Trouble in the ZR-1, not so much. That said, I still enjoyed driving the LT1 car as I had not a care in the world about mileage or repairs- it felt quick in the first couple of gears and got decent economy.

I suppose I may not like driving an LT1 car now though.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:59 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Here's another way to look at it: They're all C4's, which are now aging GM products. The LT1 and LT4 engines were, and still are, good engines. The LT5 is a great engine. Most of the problems that you'll encounter will be normal C4 issues, common to both ZR-1's and non ZR-1's. Wouldn't you rather put your time, effort, and money into keeping up a ZR-1?

I owned a '92 LT-1 six speed for over 10 years. It was a great car. I drove it daily for some of the time I had it and it always treated me well. They were great cars in their day, but Corvettes and other cars have come a long way since it was built. Now a Hyundai Genesis has 300 hp. SRT Jeep SUV's have a lot more power. My dad recently told me his Dodge pickup has 390 hp. So 300 hp was good in the mid 1990's, but it's 2011.

When I sold my '92 I was mentally done with C4's. I just didn't want to own another one. But my '90 ZR-1 fell into my lap a couple weeks ago, so here I am, a C4 owner again. I'm happy to own it because it's a somewhat collectible car that may be worth more some day. In the meantime I'll enjoy owning a truly unique car and I'll enjoy 375 hp.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Familiar with the difference between night and day?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Old 06-26-2011, 06:19 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Here's another way to look at it: They're all C4's, which are now aging GM products. The LT1 and LT4 engines were, and still are, good engines. The LT5 is a great engine. Most of the problems that you'll encounter will be normal C4 issues, common to both ZR-1's and non ZR-1's. Wouldn't you rather put your time, effort, and money into keeping up a ZR-1?

I owned a '92 LT-1 six speed for over 10 years. It was a great car. I drove it daily for some of the time I had it and it always treated me well. They were great cars in their day, but Corvettes and other cars have come a long way since it was built. Now a Hyundai Genesis has 300 hp. SRT Jeep SUV's have a lot more power. My dad recently told me his Dodge pickup has 390 hp. So 300 hp was good in the mid 1990's, but it's 2011.

When I sold my '92 I was mentally done with C4's. I just didn't want to own another one. But my '90 ZR-1 fell into my lap a couple weeks ago, so here I am, a C4 owner again. I'm happy to own it because it's a somewhat collectible car that may be worth more some day. In the meantime I'll enjoy owning a truly unique car and I'll enjoy 375 hp.

Either I missed it or you didn't tell us!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Which one did you get?

Let's go now, pictures and story!

Glad to hear you found one!

Marty
1FUNZR1
(your wheelhouse plug said to say hi!) thanks again!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM
rgfllamas
Advanced

Perhaps I can shed a little light on the OP's question.

I currently have a '91 Z07 6spd with 105K and a 91 ZR-1 with 30k. The L98 Z07 is basically my daily driver, the ZR-1 a "fun" car. They really are entirely different, there's nothing like putting the LT5 through its paces. The "permagrin" is a reality. I also think it's easier to drive, the engine is smoother and more refined than the L98. If I could only keep one it would be the ZR-1.

That said, do not discount the L98. I promise you can have a lot of fun in it as well. It's got a ton of torque and is fun to drive through the gears. The Z07 has a stiffer suspension than the ZR-1 and even set at "tour" it's pretty tight.

If you have a chance to own a ZR-1 and the extra money's not a real issue, I would say do it. I'm sure your choices are limited. If you find a nice "base" C4 at half the price, you'll still have fun.

Keep your eyes open, if you find either that seems interesting I would say explore it, drive it and form your own opinion.

Good luck with the search
Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
[/COLOR]

Either I missed it or you didn't tell us!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Which one did you get?

Let's go now, pictures and story!

Glad to hear you found one!

Marty
1FUNZR1
(your wheelhouse plug said to say hi!) thanks again!
Hi Marty,

The seller lowered the price on that '90 again to the point I couldn't say no. I cleaned it up yesterday and it really looks nice! Maybe I'll go out and take some pictures now. I'll update my thread with the pictures later.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Hi Marty,

The seller lowered the price on that '90 again to the point I couldn't say no. I cleaned it up yesterday and it really looks nice! Maybe I'll go out and take some pictures now. I'll update my thread with the pictures later.
congrats you will be happy you stepped up to the ZR-1 they are a phenomenal car and will provide many miles of enjoyment

they actually perform better when driven often. on the 90 you will need to update the injectors to modern ones that tolerate the alchy in the fuel

have fun
Old 06-26-2011, 07:45 PM
C4Fanatic
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
The kid in the white '92 that I pulled up next to on the 88 expressway heading to Naperville last night certainly is...

Get notified of new replies

To Real world difference?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C4Fanatic
The kid in the white '92 that I pulled up next to on the 88 expressway heading to Naperville last night certainly is...
Education is a wonderful thing!
Glad to see that you did your civic duty!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Skunk'd him, eh?

I wonder if he really knew what bit 'im?

Twaz great meeting you, Dave. Look forward to seeing you again! And, BTW, the FBI gang has a few routes along rivers that would pass for a decent "cruise". Mebby next time you're in town we'll go exploring a couple of them?

P.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Had a C5 that thought he was going to pick on a lowly C4 one night...after several runs from 60-70 where he was totally embarrassed, he gave up I'm sure wondering WTF. Had it been during the day, he might have seen the ZR-1 emblems and wide azz tires...that's the difference between night and day!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real world difference?