C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

No air dam

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Dime
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default No air dam

I'm going to go take a look at a 90 ZR-1 within the next few weeks. The car has just under 50,000 miles and I plan on using it as a dd.

The owner has the air dam that the car initially came with but it has never been installed. My question is, is there any potential damage or problems that could be caused by almost 50,000 miles of driving without the air dam installed?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have serious doubts a car was delivered without the air dam. Most C4's have a strong tendency to run hot or overheat if you drive at highway speeds w/o one.

Id guess there was paint work/new bumper installed and the air dam didn't make it back on. I could be wrong but something smells fishy.

It certainly did not leave Bowling Green that way.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

I believe some take it off for road course racing to improve brake cooling
Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Dime
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
I have serious doubts a car was delivered without the air dam. Most C4's have a strong tendency to run hot or overheat if you drive at highway speeds w/o one.

Id guess there was paint work/new bumper installed and the air dam didn't make it back on. I could be wrong but something smells fishy.

It certainly did not leave Bowling Green that way.
Well, I talked to the owner again and he said that the previous owner took it off, and he has a new one that he never put on. So I'm not too worryed that the car has any "bad" history. That and I have a carfax of the car and everything checks out good.

I'm just wondering if not having the air dam on can cause any damage.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

I owuld doubt it especially if they are running a performance chip that turns fans on early.......stock chip heats up pretty good......tell tale sign would be large amounts fo smoke or oil in the radiator, etc..nothing an inspection would not show.

Car would also over heat easy.......take it for a drive and see what happens

Get notified of new replies

To No air dam

Quick Reply: No air dam