C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Trailering a '95 ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
95ZR1#418
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailering a '95 ZR-1

Hi All-

I have a 10' U-Haul truck with a full size open trailer (U-Haul) that I will be transporting my '95 ZR-1 to MD from MT with. I will be on the road July 14th midday taking major Interstates and driving about 50 MPH (hate me already??). I'll stay to center or right lanes.

Any tips on loading, unloading, tie down, car protection, balance etc.? Will I need any blocks, shims, boards for ramps or whatever to load the car? I need to know that type of thing ahead of time.

What about trailer tongue weight? I don't have a weight scale of any type, all the home items previously moved by professionals. The U-Haul 10" truck will only have my futon, camping gear, computer & light weight extraneous junk.

Do they supply the tie down equipment (I just assumed so, didn't ask)? I also didn't ask if the trailer comes with a spare tire? I can always call them on that but thought I'd get this post out first.

I already can't wait to get there, I'll be so wired.

P.S. I haven't called my insurance company, LeLand West (American Modern Home). It seems I read somewhere once that they will not cover a car being trailered? Anyone by chance know anything about that?
TIA
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 PM
cvette98pacecar
Racer

Originally Posted by 95ZR1#418
Hi All-

I have a 10' U-Haul truck with a full size open trailer (U-Haul) that I will be transporting my '95 ZR-1 to MD from MT with. I will be on the road July 14th midday taking major Interstates and driving about 50 MPH (hate me already??). I'll stay to center or right lanes.

Any tips on loading, unloading, tie down, car protection, balance etc.? Will I need any blocks, shims, boards for ramps or whatever to load the car? I need to know that type of thing ahead of time.

What about trailer tongue weight? I don't have a weight scale of any type, all the home items previously moved by professionals. The U-Haul 10" truck will only have my futon, camping gear, computer & light weight extraneous junk.

Do they supply the tie down equipment (I just assumed so, didn't ask)? I also didn't ask if the trailer comes with a spare tire? I can always call them on that but thought I'd get this post out first.

I already can't wait to get there, I'll be so wired.

P.S. I haven't called my insurance company, LeLand West (American Modern Home). It seems I read somewhere once that they will not cover a car being trailered? Anyone by chance know anything about that?
TIA
That is a lot of stuff to throw in a 10" truck. I would be more worried with the towing capacity of the truck. The Uhaul car hauler and your ZR1 is over 3.5 tons. I dont see a 10' Uhaul truck safely towing that much weight.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 PM
wolowic1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I transported a 1990 Corvette vert from Ohio to Illinois using a U-Haul auto transport trailer. This goes back almost 4 years, but this is what I remember. The front air dam will rub at the front side of these U-Haul trailers when you attempt to get the car into the "wheel stop" area. I had to put a 2 inch by maybe 1 foot square board under each front tire to make it work. Just make sure your wheel straps are good n tight and keep checking them at every stop for safety. I also remember I had to climb out of the car because there wasn't enough clearance between the trailer fender and door to safely open the door. This was easier with a vert so you might want to remove the roof panel prior to pulling the car onto the trailer then replacing the roof panel afterwards or drive it on with shoes off and someone else assisting as a guide to ensure you get it onto the trailer safely. Outside of these two things everything went well considering these U-Haul trailers are a little beat up. I tried to rent a Penske trailer, but they will only allow you to pull it behind one of their trucks for moving. The U-Haul towed OK since it's a double axle standard auto transport type set-up.

Good Luck with the move!

John W.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 AM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the front air dam, use a low point in the road somewhere to level out the approach angle, and lower the fender down to get out of the car once you drive it up, strap it down and you are off. I put the ramps on my driveway and the trailer and truck in the street. Blocked it for a minute or 2 but who cares. I trailered mine from Atlanta to Houston with no issues in the configuration shown. The trailer rides fine at 70MPH.

Last edited by USAFPILOT; 06-30-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:06 PM
ZZZZZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob:

Sorry to see you go, and I hope the move to MD goes well!

I've trailered my ZR-1 with a uHaul trailer before. I towed it with my 1/2 ton Silverado, no problem. My move was across town, not across the country thought. No matter, its not too bad.

I think the air dam scraped a bit while loading, but I ended up replacing it anyway due to other "mishaps." And, you're a skinny guy, so you should be able to get out of the car once its loaded.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Fred Frazier
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trailering

Agree with others, shouldn't be too bad. Trailered my 93 twice on U-Haul, once over mountains on I-40 between Knoxville and Ashville. May need to build wood ramps to reduce angle of the U-Haul ramps and avoid scraping the bottom of front end and damper. It helps alot.

Good luck
Old 07-03-2011, 12:31 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Do you know any SCCA-types in your area that trailer their cars to events? I would suggest you ask them to possibly help you out when the time comes.
I've loaded all sorts of cars over the years hundreds of times; so I know someone with experience similar to mine, would certainly be able to help you out.

It may cost you a nice brunch or something once you're done, but it'll be worth the peace of mind on your trip...
Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM
95ZR1#418
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
Do you know any SCCA-types in your area that trailer their cars to events? I would suggest you ask them to possibly help you out when the time comes.
I've loaded all sorts of cars over the years hundreds of times; so I know someone with experience similar to mine, would certainly be able to help you out.

It may cost you a nice brunch or something once you're done, but it'll be worth the peace of mind on your trip...
No such luck there...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 PM
95ZR1#418
Drifting

Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar
That is a lot of stuff to throw in a 10" truck. I would be more worried with the towing capacity of the truck. The Uhaul car hauler and your ZR1 is over 3.5 tons. I dont see a 10' Uhaul truck safely towing that much weight.
Hello Everyone-

I just reviewed all the posts since I'll be loading it up tomorrow and hit the road probably around 4:00pm. Will probably only make it to Bozeman but would like to make Billings. Either way I'll have crossed the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass just East of Butte in the last of the light.

I changed my U-Haul truck from a 10' to a 14'. A much safer upgrade since I believe I would have been just 150lbs from the Max towing capacity of the 10', now I have a 10,000lbs towing capacity.

I got a good heavy duty pair of ratchet straps from NAPA for the back end, it comes with the fronts. I'll see how it goes and take all your tips into consideration with checks at each gas up as well as tire pressure checks. My Brother sent me a good aviation tire gauge (real nice) so it will be a pleasure checking them.

Again, you guys/gals are the greatest and I will check those tires & pressures first thing on pickup tomorrow. I'll be heading to Damascus MD, via Ely, MN for 3 days of fishing in the BWCA (staying at my Bro's place on Fall Lake (an entry lake to BWCA). Anticipate arrival into Damascus, MD Wednesday(late) on the 20th.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

You're now prepared.
Drive safely, and enjoy the trip!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Does everyone trailer in nuetral? I didn't see it mentioned. I thought it was best to prevent the gears from clashing rocking back and forth. May be too late have a safe trip.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailering a '95 ZR-1

Quick Reply: Trailering a '95 ZR-1