C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Question on the relay switch for the clutch bypass

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Question on the relay switch for the clutch bypass

Ok I'm finally going to take the plunge and do the clutch bypass operation on my ZR-1. I read through Crabs' 5 year old thread on the "Dreaded No Start Fix"

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...hopefully.html

As I see it, his fix is to completely bypass not only the clutch switch but also the start delay relay. Great idea! Now to the relay switch he used. It looks like you can get away with a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) relay with 4 connections versus a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) relay with 5 connections. I say that because it looks like the relay is only feeding voltage when it is closed and not when it is open. Now where's the best place to buy the relay? I'm thinking if I walk into an autoparts store and ask for a relay, their first question is going to be "what make and year is your car?" And their second question is going to be "what part do you need for your car?" Since this relay is NOT a stock part for the car, those questions are irrelevant. I know the relay should be a 12v 30/40A one but where did everyone buy theirs?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
bobbyhi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Ok I'm finally going to take the plunge and do the clutch bypass operation on my ZR-1. I read through Crabs' 5 year old thread on the "Dreaded No Start Fix"

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...hopefully.html

As I see it, his fix is to completely bypass not only the clutch switch but also the start delay relay. Great idea! Now to the relay switch he used. It looks like you can get away with a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) relay with 4 connections versus a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) relay with 5 connections. I say that because it looks like the relay is only feeding voltage when it is closed and not when it is open. Now where's the best place to buy the relay? I'm thinking if I walk into an autoparts store and ask for a relay, their first question is going to be "what make and year is your car?" And their second question is going to be "what part do you need for your car?" Since this relay is NOT a stock part for the car, those questions are irrelevant. I know the relay should be a 12v 30/40A one but where did everyone buy theirs?

Pretty sure that I got mine at Radio Shack........
Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM
ZRVET
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I did this mod about 2 years ago, and haven't had a no-start problem since then. I picked up a fog lamp relay that was good for 30 amps at the local Autozone. It had four male spade terminals, which makes connections easy. I attached it to the fenderwell liner using a screw and j-nut on the mounting tab built into the relay. I picked up my battery (+) feed off the junction block just aft of the battery. Be sure to install a fusible link or inline fuse in this wire, or a short will cause a serious fire!

Last edited by ZRVET; 07-15-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-16-2011, 12:59 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ZRVET
I did this mod about 2 years ago, and haven't had a no-start problem since then. I picked up a fog lamp relay that was good for 30 amps at the local Autozone. It had four male spade terminals, which makes connections easy. I attached it to the fenderwell liner using a screw and j-nut on the mounting tab built into the relay. I picked up my battery (+) feed off the junction block just aft of the battery. Be sure to install a fusible link or inline fuse in this wire, or a short will cause a serious fire!
Hmm, thanks for that tip. Makes sense but I wasn't planning on doing that. I will now
And I found the relay at Radio Shack just as Bobby said

Get notified of new replies

To Question on the relay switch for the clutch bypass

Quick Reply: Question on the relay switch for the clutch bypass