C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Callaway AeroBody Kit For Sale

Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Callaway AeroBody Kit For Sale

Just saw this on Fleabay. Thought someone might be interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200669614082...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr
Old 11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Saw this in the ad

(REAR FASCIA REQUIRES MODIFICATION ON ZR1).
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Saw this in the ad

(REAR FASCIA REQUIRES MODIFICATION ON ZR1).
Not only the rear facia, but also the door panels and rocker panels. Not a simple modification but can be done fairly easily by the right person.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 11-02-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 PM
cvette98pacecar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is all hand laid fiberglass would you really want to cut and modify it for a Zr1? especially with the HP and torque of our vehicles? I am seeing the modification constantly cracking.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar
That is all hand laid fiberglass would you really want to cut and modify it for a Zr1? especially with the HP and torque of our vehicles? I am seeing the modification constantly cracking.
Modifying it is only the first step in the process. After the modifications are complete, you would need to make new molds from those pieces and then lay up the pieces to be used. This ensures that there will never be any seams bleed through over time. The torque and such is really a non-issue.

I will be performing this process on the new, never used Callaway AeroBody kit I just purchased for my ZR-1.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 11-02-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
Modifying it is only the first step in the process. After the modifications are complete, you would need to make new molds from those pieces and then lay up the pieces to be used. This ensures that there will never be any seams bleed through over ime. The torque and such is really a non-issue.

I will be performing this process on the never used Callaway AeroBody kit I just purchased for my ZR-1.
Cool
Old 11-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Not a simple modification but can be done fairly easily by the right person.
but can be done fairly easily by the right person.

Brett...You crack me up! I wouldn't have a figgin clue how to describe half of what you do "fairly easily", and I've "fixed" a couple serious projects in my day! U, sir, are an artiste!

P.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
but can be done fairly easily by the right person.

Brett...You crack me up! I wouldn't have a figgin clue how to describe half of what you do "fairly easily", and I've "fixed" a couple serious projects in my day! U, sir, are an artiste!

P.
Paul, come on down to Pendleton and I'll school ya a little. Heck, if I can do it, anyone can. LOL
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Modifying it is only the first step in the process. After the modifications are complete, you would need to make new molds from those pieces and then lay up the pieces to be used.
I will be performing this process on the new, never used Callaway AeroBody kit I just purchased for my ZR-1.
Cool, going into "production"?

My favorite, (Paul Deutschman), Callaway design is the gorgeous LM nose, shown here in the same color.

http://www.corvettelegends.com/callaway.htm

Now, if someone would knock off a clone of that, I'd start saving my lunch money
Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
Cool, going into "production"?

My favorite, (Paul Deutschman), Callaway design is the gorgeous LM nose, shown here in the same color.

http://www.corvettelegends.com/callaway.htm

Now, if someone would knock off a clone of that, I'd start saving my lunch money
Nope. As much as I'd love to do so, I just won't do it. It just wouldn't be fair to Reeves and all he has created. I've never met him, but I repesect his success.
Besides, I'm in the restoration business. Not the parts business.

Not to mention, it's illegal to do so.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 11-03-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Nope. As much as I'd love to do so, I just won't do it. It just wouldn't be fair to Reeves and all he has created. I've never met him, but I repesect his success.

Not to mention, it's illegal to do so.
Of course, that would be wrong seeing as Callaway is still selling them. The last I heard, they wanted $10K for the LM nose, a little too expensive for me.
I've never met him either, but I don't agree with some of the unkind things he's said about the ZR-1.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Of course, that would be wrong seeing as Callaway is still selling them. The last I heard, they wanted $10K for the LM nose, a little too expensive for me.
I've never met him either, but I don't agree with some of the unkind things he's said about the ZR-1.
Really? I'm not familiar with past history or fueds. That's sad to hear.
If Callaway's attitude towrd the ZR-1 is an unkind one, they sure don't mind selling a $9500 AeroBody kit for one.

Is there media somewhere that is accessible for reading? I'd like to learn more.......
Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
C4GUY
Instructor

Anyone know what Callaway charges to install paint and deliver car with Aerobody on it these days or do they even offer full service like that?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

It's an old grudge on his part. Because of the introduction of the new ZR-1 in 1990, the B2K Callaway Corvette didn't fare too well.

Later, in an interview with Vette Magazine (July 02') He characterized the ZR-1 program as "one of the automotive disasters of engine design of all time", and said the ZR-1 was an "overweight, underperforming pig. The ZR-1 is a nightmare of complexity for very little performance."

You can see why some ZR-1'ers don't feel the love for Reeves.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:49 PM
C4GUY
Instructor

Interesiting in Dave McClellans Corvette From the Inside book he praises Reeve and his involvement overall in the Corvette program at the time. Reeves is also very positive.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

It's an old grudge on his part. Because of the introduction of the new ZR-1 in 1990, the B2K Callaway Corvette didn't fare too well.

Later, in an interview with Vette Magazine (July 02') He characterized the ZR-1 program as "one of the automotive disasters of engine design of all time", and said the ZR-1 was an "overweight, underperforming pig. The ZR-1 is a nightmare of complexity for very little performance."

You can see why some ZR-1'ers don't feel the love for Reeves.
You might be interested to know that in 2002 at Corvettes at Carlisle, Reeves Callaway responded to questions (to the satisfaction of all who were there) asked about that article. I remember the whole deal and how many feelings of ZR-1 owners were hurt by what they read and the context in which it was printed. In fact, I also remember the journalist printing something like, "stunned silence", as if they were slanting the article with drama.

The LT-5, and in turn, ZR-1 could have been better (engineered) and weight had a lot to do with that. However, we built and still support our SuperNatural and CR-1 packages. Something I do not think many realize. While we're not turning back the clock and building more, we do offer technical assistance for those who have our legendary cars
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C4GUY
Anyone know what Callaway charges to install paint and deliver car with Aerobody on it these days or do they even offer full service like that?
The last one we did, was somewhere in the ballpark of $15k, including the AeroBody. However, for current pricing, please contact Ken Bradley in Parts at 860 434 9002, M-F, 9-5 EST.

Thanks

Originally Posted by C4GUY
Interesiting in Dave McClellans Corvette From the Inside book he praises Reeve and his involvement overall in the Corvette program at the time. Reeves is also very positive.

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway AeroBody Kit For Sale

Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 PM
C4GUY
Instructor

Good to know, actually very reasonable.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
You might be interested to know that in 2002 at Corvettes at Carlisle, Reeves Callaway responded to questions (to the satisfaction of all who were there) asked about that article. I remember the whole deal and how many feelings of ZR-1 owners were hurt by what they read and the context in which it was printed. In fact, I also remember the journalist printing something like, "stunned silence", as if they were slanting the article with drama.
I've read the preceding paragraph a couple of times and still don't know what it means. Were the quotes correct, or not? Did he revise what he said, or not? It's not the journalists description that is the issue, it's what Callaway said.

"The LT-5, and in turn, ZR-1 could have been better (engineered) and weight had a lot to do with that."

So, what's the actual curb weight of a ZR-1 compared to the curb weight of a Callaway B2k?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

I've read the preceding paragraph a couple of times and still don't know what it means. Were the quotes correct, or not? Did he revise what he said, or not? It's not the journalists description that is the issue, it's what Callaway said.

"The LT-5, and in turn, ZR-1 could have been better (engineered) and weight had a lot to do with that."

So, what's the actual curb weight of a ZR-1 compared to the curb weight of a Callaway B2k?
I remain of the opinion that the journalist slanted the tone of the article with the statement that followed the quote. Reeves explained everything in 2002 at Carlisle. If you were there, you got the answers. If not, we're not going to relive ancient history on a subject such as this. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Callaway AeroBody Kit For Sale