C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Headliner sagging

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 AM
cal55
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner sagging

Hello,
I know this has been covered before no pun intended. My headliner is sagging. Can I use the existing material and re-glue it or should it be replaced? The foam underneath looks pretty decent or should I replace that too? I saw a kit on ebay for like $34.00 for the foam and material. I know I can buy the material from Jo-Ann fabrics too. I'm not using the top right now but I would like to repair it anyway.
Happy Labor Day,
Joe
Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

I went to JoAnn and bought a half yard of black headliner fabric for around $15. Looks like stock!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM
cal55
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteMed
I went to JoAnn and bought a half yard of black headliner fabric for around $15. Looks like stock!
Thanks,
I'll probably just do that, there's one close by and the price is right.
Joe
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by cal55
Hello,
I know this has been covered before no pun intended. My headliner is sagging. Can I use the existing material and re-glue it or should it be replaced? The foam underneath looks pretty decent or should I replace that too? I saw a kit on ebay for like $34.00 for the foam and material. I know I can buy the material from Jo-Ann fabrics too. I'm not using the top right now but I would like to repair it anyway.
Happy Labor Day,
Joe
I just did mine last week. Reused the fabric and the foam panel, gluing them both with a high strength spray adhesive. Clean the fiberglass panel well and vacuum up bits and dust. Mask the roof panel carefully and spread newspapers around as the spray adhesive will travel. Use a fabric adhesive for headliners. The fine print on the adhesive cans will say "not for automotive headliners" if it can't handle high temps. Good luck.--Bob
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM
cal55
Pro

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
I just did mine last week. Reused the fabric and the foam panel, gluing them both with a high strength spray adhesive. Clean the fiberglass panel well and vacuum up bits and dust. Mask the roof panel carefully and spread newspapers around as the spray adhesive will travel. Use a fabric adhesive for headliners. The fine print on the adhesive cans will say "not for automotive headliners" if it can't handle high temps. Good luck.--Bob
Thanks Bob,
That sounds easy enough, maybe I will re-glue my original headliner, it is in good shape still aside from it sagging.
Joe
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by cal55
Thanks Bob,
That sounds easy enough, maybe I will re-glue my original headliner, it is in good shape still aside from it sagging.
Joe
By the way I should have noted a little more detail. I first removed the foam pad and fabric, then removed the headliner from the pad. Cleaned and removed all loose particles. Then I carefully glued edge of the headliner fabric to the underside of the pad on one edge. Next sprayed adhesive on roughly half the headliner and pad and carefully positoned about half the headliner, slightly stretched and pressed it down. Then did the second half. Did the underside edges last. For no particular reason I let it dry for a couple days. Meanwhile taped off the fiberglass top edges and taped newpaper to that. Tried a dry fit first, then sprayed both the foam pad well and the masked off top. Waited until it was tacky, put it in place, pressed down and it is so far fine. --Bob
Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Wayne Pennell
Instructor

Just the fabric is sagging from my 1991 headliner, and only in the middle....how do you acces the under side of it? Is it as simple as removing the plastic trim from the edges and it is accessable?

Get notified of new replies

To Headliner sagging

Quick Reply: Headliner sagging