C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Admiral 94 comes home. Finally ! :). Let the mods begin !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Thanks! That engine is a thing of beauty. As always, keep us updated please!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:32 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Thanks Craig ! In all honesty.. its a great car. No, its not the same as a zr1 and I can honestly say its not nearly as special to me in just my feelings and experience when driving but the Mustang is a really good car that Im loving driving every day and through the winter.

I will have updates shortly for the zr1. My to do list has grown really long and there are a few cool things that I think you guys will find interesting

Hopefully you guys don't mind a little Mustang update but heres some work I did over the winter on the car. My custom forged 3 piece wheels are soon going to be ready but heres what I did so far..

Some suspension bits. Stock suspension is extremely soft and its a heavy car with decent power. I found pushing the car hard through corners was sloppy and I could feel the subframe and suspension movement when on the power in the turns especially. A lot had to do with the balloon 40 series 19" tires. My winters are lower profile 20s and even with the dsw06 all seasons the difference is night and day vs stock. Now its sharp, responsive and very predictable making power slides very controllable

WOnt post all the pics but I went with COrsa because they are T304. I polished all the visible piping to a mirrorish shine like I did on the zr1
zr1 updates soon !!
Mike,

Wow is all I can say! Everything you do is so bada** cool. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing. You are the MOD KING and I have to take away the crown from one the Z brothers in NJ (just kidding). Just awesome work.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 03-24-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

5abivt,

how are you liking that steering wheel?

How did you wrap it on the back side?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 12:28 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Mike, you have done an amazing job and given me ideas for my 90. I am in London ON.. not too far away from you. We should get together sometime this summer as I would love to see your Z in person. If you have any original parts your looking to get rid of let me know. Very nice car and those wheels fit the car perfectly.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:22 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Any updates?
Old 05-30-2016, 02:40 AM
2ljd
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Photo from a photographer there
Poetry in motion!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:15 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1
Mike,

Wow is all I can say! Everything you do is so bada** cool. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing. You are the MOD KING and I have to take away the crown from one the Z brothers in NJ (just kidding). Just awesome work.
Thanks Very much ! Appreciate the compliments it sure does make it more enjoyable to share all the fun
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
5abivt,

how are you liking that steering wheel?

How did you wrap it on the back side?

Thanks
Love the steering wheel ! Had it for a very long time (was on my 93 like many parts I stole it from there ). Im a huge fan of flat top wheels and bottom mostly because the Enzo had it but especially in my c4s because I sit low and the flat top actually increases road visibility for me significantly. I have a few ideas in my mind but I do plan to change the wheel soon. The wrap if I recall it is 2 pieces one on the back and the front overlaps slightly so its not visible from the front.

Originally Posted by TommyL
Wow Mike, you have done an amazing job and given me ideas for my 90. I am in London ON.. not too far away from you. We should get together sometime this summer as I would love to see your Z in person. If you have any original parts your looking to get rid of let me know. Very nice car and those wheels fit the car perfectly.
Thanks I appreciate that ! I would be more than happy to meet up sometime and take you for a ride ! would love to hear your opinion on the car especially another Z owner !
Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Any updates?

Yes Finally !! Been a busy few months. Sold our home and was struggling for time to get in the garage to start doing all the little things I needed to get done.

During Christmas during the start of our mild winter I drove the z for a few days while I had the mustang in pieces awaiting parts. It rained and the Z ended up being parked fairly dirty and then it got cold so fast that I couldn't get it washed right away. The wheels needed a little TLC as water sat in the wheels and etched the polished barrels and it drove me crazy I did daily the car for a month when I first finished it a few years back while I searched for a dd so it did see lots of rain (love the rain ! - just sucks to detail it back up ) so the wheels did get lots of water spotting that I always planned to clean up. I need to get under the front anyways to swap out the clutch slave so I put it up on stands and pulled the front wheels to start.

Before pic of the inner barrel on the front wheels ..

The aluminum for the inner/outers is relatively soft so lots of washes will scratch them easily. Letting rain sit on them definitely doesn't help!

After a few passes of the power all and mothers polish.. Started to look good ! I'll probably deflate the tires and get nitrogen from Nissan put in. Have it in my mustang and it's pretty cool how they resist temp fluctuation vs regular air.

Last edited by 5abivt; 06-08-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:18 PM
2ljd
Intermediate

I love your rim/tire setup on the Z!

Can I ask what size/offset/backspacing you are running?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:07 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2ljd
I love your rim/tire setup on the Z!

Can I ask what size/offset/backspacing you are running?
Thx ! theyre 19x10.25 and 19x12.25. Offsets were very close to oem offsets. I haven't actually measured the offsets to see what they are now with the 1/4" rings in them. The tires are 265/30/19 and 315/25/19. I was planning to rebuild them a little different but Ill wait until these tires are worn out then likely change things up over the winter
The following users liked this post:
2ljd (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:10 PM
2ljd
Intermediate

Thanks for the info! I know one way to make them wear out faster...
Old 06-11-2016, 06:04 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

just went through several pgs of this thread. Its cool to see you continue workin on your ride. Badass

Hope to own an Admiral Blue ZR1 sooner.. or later lol

If you don't mind sharing, how much did you get it for? Only seen 1 up for sale in about a year
Old 06-21-2016, 07:19 PM
2ljd
Intermediate

If anyone didn't hear about these..... They are stunning !!

Are these still available?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Been a while since i posted an update.. Managed to finish polishing up my wheels. Tried many different ways to polish and learned a few things. I think next time I will buy a grinder like I've seen in YouTube videos.

After gaining some experience polishing the Mustangs Corsa system I got down to what I originally planned with the corsa on the ZR-1 when I first got the car (was doing it by hand back then ) Pretty happy with it now

Dirtiest pic I could take lol ..

After...

Got it all back up! Cleaned up the liners . Added the second bolt through the frame for the vette2vette frame stiffeners.. Wanted to tinker with them a little bit more. Plan to get the car to my fab guy to work out the idea I have so I will likely end up selling them in the future once I get that done.

Did a few minor things under the hood while I had the chance besides cleaning it... Every time I see those headlights I go back to my plans to modify them.. Sucks I had to get shafted by a forum member who sold me 2 headlights and covers etc and then disappeared with everyone's money . I'll try to source another pair in the future to continue with my plans for them.

For now she's ready to drive ! Will charge up the go pro and get her all set for more fun videos and maybe a top speed run in Mexico couldn't commit to the runway event this year as it was the same day we have to be out of this house .. Moving in 2 weeks so will be strapped for time as we move but will do my best !
Old 08-04-2016, 03:21 PM
2ljd
Intermediate

Been a while since i posted an update.. Managed to finish polishing up my wheels. Tried many different ways to polish and learned a few things. I think next time I will buy a grinder like I've seen in YouTube videos.

After gaining some experience polishing the Mustangs Corsa system I got down to what I originally planned with the corsa on the ZR-1 when I first got the car (was doing it by hand back then ) Pretty happy with it now

Dirtiest pic I could take lol ..

After...

Got it all back up! Cleaned up the liners . Added the second bolt through the frame for the vette2vette frame stiffeners.. Wanted to tinker with them a little bit more. Plan to get the car to my fab guy to work out the idea I have so I will likely end up selling them in the future once I get that done.

Did a few minor things under the hood while I had the chance besides cleaning it... Every time I see those headlights I go back to my plans to modify them.. Sucks I had to get shafted by a forum member who sold me 2 headlights and covers etc and then disappeared with everyone's money . I'll try to source another pair in the future to continue with my plans for them.

For now she's ready to drive ! Will charge up the go pro and get her all set for more fun videos and maybe a top speed run in Mexico couldn't commit to the runway event this year as it was the same day we have to be out of this house .. Moving in 2 weeks so will be strapped for time as we move but will do my best !
Nice job on the polishing! Care to share any helpful tips/tricks?

Looking forward to more videos too!
Old 08-05-2016, 12:19 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2ljd
Nice job on the polishing! Care to share any helpful tips/tricks?

Looking forward to more videos too!
Thanks ! I pretty much started with 600 to 800 to 1000 and 1500 grit sand paper and then a polishing pad with the metal polish I used on the lips with an orbital (think 5"). Doesn't take long to start seeing the reflection. There were some deeper scratches but I didn't care to get them out completely.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:22 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

nice. How do you like those frame stiffeners?
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
nice. How do you like those frame stiffeners?
I definitelky like them. I will likely be selling them soon as I plan to add some bracing that should negate the need for them.

Get notified of new replies

To Admiral 94 comes home. Finally ! :). Let the mods begin !!

Old 08-13-2016, 10:37 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

I follow you on instagram, and subscribed to your youtube, just went through all 19 pages of this thread for the first time
Old 09-28-2016, 11:51 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
I follow you on instagram, and subscribed to your youtube, just went through all 19 pages of this thread for the first time
Happy to hear it thanks !!

It's been a while since I've updated the thread.. Have a few pics and videos but been a little busy to get them off my computer and edited.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:05 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Pic beside my 15 mustang GT. Always amazing to see the size difference between a newer modern car like this beside a c4 !

Just another pic before I get to the good stuff !

And so finally .. A week or so ago I was able to make it out to meet a fabricator and talented welder who was somewhat local (3 hour drive) to discuss my idea for a roof brace and put it in motion. Had a great problem free drive in the Z and even left a few challengers in the rearview on the freeway

My idea was .. To brace the four corners with an 'X' style brace. Of course aesthetics is a major priority for me and it needed to look good as wel as function. Pretty much the ongoing theme with my car.. A personal balance of form and function ! The main objective was that this brace needs to remain in place with the roof on AND off. It would stay and provide more rigidity than the roof could on its own.

I planned to have it welded in place but as it turns out we figured a way to make it a bolt-in. Now, I'm well aware of the options out there and I don't want to be too critical but they just weren't for me. Previous ones were thick heavy square tubing , newer ones are cut and rounded but they all need to be removed when the roof went back on. I just wasn't happy with that. My brace will be lighter , look better and remain in place while providing the rigidity that a c4 deserves.

Pics to come shortly ...

Quick Reply: Admiral 94 comes home. Finally ! :). Let the mods begin !!