C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Supercharger on a LT 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Supercharger on a LT 5

See:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/clubs/...ger_on_ZR1.jpg

:D
Old 07-12-2002, 10:02 PM
LIMEY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Supercharger on a LT 5 (Tyler Townsley)

LMAO,

Thats a pretty neat bit of photo editing there :-)

Btw, I don't think i'll be going drag racing now, it's been raining here all frigging day & due to rain tomorrow too :-(

Kurt.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Supercharger on a LT 5 (LIMEY)

No edit to it. Just took the s/c and laid it on the top of a motor and took the picture in Geoff's shop a couple of years ago. Things seemed quiet so I figured we could use a smile. I figure tomorrow will be a wash out too so going elsewere. Sure was looking forward to seeing your car run.

Tyler

Old 07-13-2002, 12:10 AM
BCZR1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

:eek: :lol: :smash:
Old 07-14-2002, 11:37 AM
zr1son
Advanced

The fat gut to the left looks like it is attached to a really cool guy...

There will be a lot of news coming from the British side of the pond in the not too distant future.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Re: Supercharger on a LT 5 (zr1son)

I heard of some florida tuners putting a supercharger on the LT5. did this ever get done???

anyone interested in a "home grown" twin turbo LT5 project???

the LPE 368 I bought is a candidate car. by just lowering the compression the car would be ready. graham B mentioned using longer liners and machining a reciever groove in the cyl head to solve the problem with blown HG under high pressure.

I really need 800 hp on the street, with the ability to turn up the boost and go to 1K at the track.

after seeing the LPE TT cars at BG the quote from Will Smith comes to mind

"I got ta get me one oh deez" (Independence Day)
Old 07-15-2002, 02:23 PM
VetteBabe1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Supercharger on a LT 5 (Rkreigh)

I guess you really CAN put a supercharger on an LT5! :lol: Cool pic of the engine BTW, don't get to see many even torn down that far. :cool:
Old 07-15-2002, 04:52 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Supercharger on a LT 5 (VetteBabe1)

For more pictures of the basic engine and some who post here click on this link. In addition to the commented pictures the index has additional bare bones pictures of the motor and a ZF.
http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~townsley/CampLT-5/

Tyler
Old 07-15-2002, 05:39 PM
ZR1
Drifting

And the Hook Norton Beer Festival is even coming up this weekend!! It will be the first time in a while that I have missed it. Look for Mr. Jeal to be over here in late October or November for a Texas BBQ. I'm going over there in September and we're going to look for places in the south of France to buy.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Supercharger on a LT 5 (ZR1)

Hopefully he will be in Macon Ga to install the P 2 motor he is building for me in my car first??? France? I guess with what I am paying for the motor he can buy two chalets? Not! LOL. How about a little Camp Lt 5 action?

Tyler

[Modified by Tyler Townsley, 7:35 PM 7/15/2002]
Old 07-15-2002, 09:06 PM
W i l l
Racer

You guys have really made my day blue. I hate to miss the Hook Norton beer festival. Maybe Mr. Jeal can stash a 6 pack of Old Hookey in the crate along with the P2 motor for the trip to Georgia. It wouldn't be right to install the motor without having a pint of English ale for lunchtime. I'll see you in Macon.

[Modified by W i l l, 7:07 PM 7/15/2002]
Old 07-15-2002, 09:44 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Supercharger on a LT 5 (W i l l)

I will make sure to tell Gene to have all the farmers pull their tractors in the fields and not on the road! Do US rental car coverage include run ins with tractors? Or will you be driving your new RED car?

Tyler
Old 07-16-2002, 08:41 AM
ZR1
Drifting

France?
Yeah, we talked about chucking the whole thing, moving to the south of France and buy a B&B there.

How about a little Camp Lt 5 action?
Where? Over there? I'm afraid Mr. Jeal is going over to China next week. Still, we can go over and just skip the engine building part and just go from pub to ... buuuurrrrrppppp... pub. Will got my taste buds all excited mentioning Old Hookey. I would love spending a few evenings at the Faulklin Arms or the Sun tipping a few pints and seeing what car Will had wrecked that day. Of course we would have to get Haibeck there to boogie down and Toby to keep the peace.

[Modified by ZR1, 6:42 AM 7/16/2002]
Old 07-16-2002, 08:58 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

You are at work early today. Trouble with France is the natives all speak French, besides what would a beer/ale drinker do for recreation in a country that has nothing but wine to drink? We have lost an opportunity wow the English with a demonstration of the Toby Lift. Is the BBQ going to be a one day afair or include some extra time for R&R and tech talk?

Tyler
Old 07-16-2002, 03:40 PM
ZR1
Drifting

Is the BBQ going to be a one day afair or include some extra time for R&R and tech talk?

Tyler
I dunno. Heck, there hasn't been anything said about it yet. I'm sure we can have one though. I know Cory is putting an engine together later on this year during Christmas break. If it can be arranged and people want to watch we could just build it at Cory's shop one day in October/November and the BBQ could be the next day. Or maybe someone wants to watch to see how to time the cams. Maybe Will can give a class on suspension tuning with a tractor. I am sure you can make any suggestion you wish.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:03 PM
W i l l
Racer

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or maybe someone wants to watch to see how to time the cams. Maybe Will can give a class on suspension tuning with a tractor. I am sure you can make any suggestion you wish.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuning suspensions with a tractor can be likened to timing cams on the LT5; getting it right is more of an art than a science. I will be more than happy to demonstrate the process if a suitable donor car can be found. He he, what I would give to have a video of the last time I did it :)

ZR1, are you planning on having the barbeque while Mr. Jeal is in town? Or is the plan to have a stateside Camp LT5. Either way, let us know ASAP so schedules can be left open and barbeque sauces prepared.

Will
Old 07-17-2002, 03:29 PM
ZR1
Drifting

Default Re: Supercharger on a LT 5 (W i l l)

quote:

Tuning suspensions with a tractor can be likened to timing cams on the LT5; getting it right is more of an art than a science. I will be more than happy to demonstrate the process if a suitable donor car can be found. He he, what I would give to have a video of the last time I did it :)
I must admit, you are an artist with a tractor. Perhaps we can get Curtis to donate a suspension or two for the project. I'll bring some chains.

[QUOTE]ZR1, are you planning on having the barbeque while Mr. Jeal is in town? Or is the plan to have a stateside Camp LT5. Either way, let us know ASAP so schedules can be left open and barbeque sauces prepared.
Will[/QUOTE

Well, I thought a BBQ would be an ideal time for sort of a mini Camp LT5. As far as Mr. Jeal, hopefully I can have more information in September as far as a schedule for him. Otherwise, we can just plan everything around what people here would like.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger on a LT 5

Old 07-17-2002, 10:32 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Don't do it the first week in Nov, its about the only weekend I cannot make. I figure that you have more different LT5 configurations in your area than any other location in the US so it would be a real treat to get them into one spot. Will I never told you Paul G was trying to tip off the insurance company, here he is trying to get others to help.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/clubs/...ash_Custom.jpg

Your were sure admiring your handiwork. I thought I had a picture of the custom fenderwork but it must have gotten deleted. Hmmmm

Tyler
Old 07-18-2002, 01:30 AM
zr1son
Advanced

That picture brings back a LOT of fond memories.

Just to fill you people in, Camp LT5 spring from the altered minds of Geoff Jeal and I many years ago. Geoff had joined the ZR-1 Net some time in 1997 I believe. At that time, Mr. Jeal was working at TWR there in England. He was the calibration engineer at Lotus for the LT5 project. I got to emailing him about various engine mods and such and he invited me over to have a look at his little shop. I went over, coincidentally at the same time as the Hook Norton Beer Festival (Hook Norton where he lives has the oldest continuously running brewery in England) and we just had a ball. It was weird. We were two people who lived in two totally different cultures and we were just alike. Brothers somehow. Anyway, one eveing around the dinner table we got to talking about holding a Camp LT5. We decided to have a dry run with me coming over to build my engine. That was done and so the idea of bringing people over to England to watch an LT5 being built and meeting some of the actual engineers who worked on the project was born. It was a great vacation for the family and for us ZR-1 owners. Tyler attended two of them and more than proved the people who own ZR-1s are the greatest group I have ever met.

The rest, meeting people the people like Will just reinforce the idea. I mean, who rents a car in a foreign country, declines the insurance, wrecks it, and fixes it with a tractor? Really, his legacy was built at that moment. And what can I say about Deinert? A class act without rival. Marc Haibeck, Toby Lift, just too many to list, they are all great people and I count them in my short list of friends. I mean, 17 of us went on a wilderness trip last year and not one cross word in a week! What other group of people could ever claim such a thing?

ZR-1 people are the absolute greatest bunch I have ever met. Well, there are Darin and Brian though :)
Old 07-18-2002, 07:57 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Re: Supercharger on a LT 5 (zr1son)

since the thread started out BLOWN. I remember Geoff having the ECM code used for the Cerv LT5 Twin Turbo stuff. some certain turbo pistons laying around maybe too. Now that I have the LPE 368, I have the basis for my dream of the LT5 twin turbo. with a set of special liners, iconel exh valves, turbo pistons (J&E) and a hole host of other parts, I believe it can be done again. LPE paved the way as have others before. any chance we can marshall these fine engineers for repeat performance and build more twin turbo ZR1s??? I know I can't do it alone. I have more passion than brains!!!

Jim, Marc, and Geoff, along with Bill K.'s combined knowlege could certainly pull this off. I have quite a few ideas and hopefully soon quite a few $$$.

there are probably about 10 people that I know that are also serious.

I have considered lobbying Paul D. to let LPE out of the contract and build more there, but this is yet another alternative. sorry for the rant, but the desire still burns.

a TT LT5 IS in my future someday. hopefully before I get too old to appreciate why I want it so badly!!! it will be a sight to behold 2 b sure.

we can talk about it more in carlise. thanks for indulging my fantasies. hoping to soon make them realities!!! :yesnod: :D

Quick Reply: Supercharger on a LT 5