C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

HELP: Bose Radio Is Blowing CTSY Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:44 PM
jaymitchell01
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP: Bose Radio Is Blowing CTSY Fuse

As the title suggests, when I turn my Bose Gold system on, the CTSY fuse blows immediately. When the radio is off, fuse holds up just fine. That said, unless anyone tells me otherwise, I can only assume it's something in the sound system.

I've disconnected the power antenna and all four amplifiers, and the CTSY fuse still blows. At this point, I can't imagine it being anything other than either the head unit, the CDM box (which I just replaced), or maybe the Bose master relay. Am I missing anything?

If the Bose relay is a possibility, anyone know where that is located on a 1991 ZR1?

Trying to make sure I'm barking up the right tree. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
Jason
91ZR1
VA Beach, VA
Old 10-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Send an email to Dr dons.

http://www.doctordons.com/
Old 10-19-2015, 06:34 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

These guys may also be of help, Used them and been very happy with them,

http://carstereohelp.net/troubleshoo...rvetteBose.htm
Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 PM
jaymitchell01
Pro

I've been educated that the wires from the power supply (fusible link) to the power antenna, could also have a short or ground issue.

Anyone know what else in the radio system receives power from the fusible link? Amps? Head unit?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:27 PM
jaymitchell01
Pro

Update - I've disconnected the relay for the power antenna, and all four speakers/amps, and the CTSY fuse still blows when I turn on the radio. This leads me to believe the issue is in the CDM box. Frustrating, since I paid $160 for what I was told is a rebuilt DCM box after all.

Off to the post office tomorrow... again.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:43 PM
jaymitchell01
Pro

Default Bose Relay, does it exist?

Gents - Can anyone confirm whether or not our ZR1s had Bose relays in the dash of the car?

I'm getting conflicting information as to whether or not our cars have a Bose relay in the dash that activates when we turn the radio on. Some have said the relay was moved inside the CDM box, yet others have said the relay still exists in the dash. I assume the answer is the same for all the 1990-1995s, so hopefully anyone with any Bose repair experience can answer this. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2015, 06:05 PM
frosted
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymitchell01
Gents - Can anyone confirm whether or not our ZR1s had Bose relays in the dash of the car?

I'm getting conflicting information as to whether or not our cars have a Bose relay in the dash that activates when we turn the radio on. Some have said the relay was moved inside the CDM box, yet others have said the relay still exists in the dash. I assume the answer is the same for all the 1990-1995s, so hopefully anyone with any Bose repair experience can answer this. Thanks!
Everyone is right There's a relay inside the CDM and a separate relay under the dash for the speaker amp power. Both are shown, though not very clearly, in the shop manual electrical supplement.

For 91's, I think there's something seriously wrong with the CDM power supply -section. I just replaced my CDM and it had signs of severe over current (burned resistor) near the relay. Didn't come alive despite replacing all easily identifiable components. 92 CDM is almost identical but not quite -there are minor changes in the power supply.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: Bose Radio Is Blowing CTSY Fuse

Quick Reply: HELP: Bose Radio Is Blowing CTSY Fuse