C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

1991 ZR-1 Performance Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynomite
It DOES matter

For those that have only the little green light indicating Full Engine Power on the 91s it prolly does not matter much except for the additional Chip costs and work removing the secondary (Not as simple as suggested). For those that have the FULL ENGINE POWER light up on the screen on their 1990s.....It is exciting. And once you fix the Vacuum Leaks the Secondaries are prolly the most reliable item on the engine Finding A Vacuum Leak

It is a LOT EASIER to fix the Vacuum System than it is to remove the Secondaries and you only have to fix the Vacuum System once. Fixing the Vacuum System does NOT require removal of the Injector Housings (which proper removal of the Secondaries Does Require Removal of the Injector Housings).

Secondly (No Pun Intended), The Full Engine Power Switch should be reconditioned Power Key Rebuild TIPS
Meh.... Now you're sounding like Scottfab! (Juuust messin' wid ya, Cliff!)

• NO coking buildup on secondary intake valves
  • INSTANT throttle response w/ NO hesitation between gears
  • Never no steeenking code "61" or any other SPT issues
  • etc...
  • etc...
  • etc...

What's not to like???
Old 01-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Meh.... Now you're sounding like Scottfab! (Juuust messin' wid ya, Cliff!)

• NO coking buildup on secondary intake valves
  • INSTANT throttle response w/ NO hesitation between gears
  • Never no steeenking code "61" or any other SPT issues
  • etc...
  • etc...
  • etc...

What's not to like???
Paul.....that is NOT nice to compare me to your friend
I never get a code 61 or any code for that matter.
You get codes???

Less gas mileage is not to like and on a 1990 loosing the ability to switch on that FULL ENGINER POWER LIGHT is not COOL
And........some guys wire, strap, tie the secondaries open which is kind of Mickey Mouse in trying to eliminate the secondaries the EASY way

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-07-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Paul.....that is NOT nice to compare me to your friend
I never get a code 61 or any code for that matter.
You get codes???

Less gas mileage is not to like and on a 1990 loosing the ability to switch on that FULL ENGINER POWER LIGHT is not COOL
And........some guys wire, strap, tie the secondaries open which is kind of Mickey Mouse in trying to eliminate the secondaries the EASY way
"Less gas mileage..." is not true. A motor will use X amount of fuel, whether it's delivered by one or two injectors.
I originally strapped the secondaries open. Next step was to remove the throttle blades. Both worked fine for me until I finally removed the entire setup w the cam upgrade. Even now I will average 23-25mpg. On flats at a a cruise, my fuel economy gauge will read in the early 30's if I keep it below 75.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

My two cents....

You had better have made a hell of a deal on a 91 which has a) obvious problems with the IP and 2) isn't making much power beyond the mid range.

Yes, the problem(s) could be as simple as a loose connection to the IP and a vacuum leak in the secondary port throttle system.

But, also, you could be looking at some significant repair bills as well.

There are a lot of ZR-1s for sale...why not find a car with less problems up front or...make the seller fix the problems, then buy the car.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:28 PM
32valvesftw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
My two cents....

You had better have made a hell of a deal on a 91 which has a) obvious problems with the IP and 2) isn't making much power beyond the mid range.

Yes, the problem(s) could be as simple as a loose connection to the IP and a vacuum leak in the secondary port throttle system.

There are a lot of ZR-1s for sale...why not find a car with less problems up front or...make the seller fix the problems, then buy the car.
Yep buy the best example you can.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:25 PM
wsaugenstein
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
My two cents....

I did make a hell of a deal, and I look forward to the diagnostics and repairs. I did most of the work myself on my restored '65 fuelie and upgrades to my C6 Z06. The only problem right now is the 30+" of snow that was just dumped on us. Hopefully, I'll have it done in time for the ZR-1 section at Corvettes at Carlisle this August.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:18 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by illenema
When i got my Lt-5 years ago, the secondary's were off line for years.
I used this information to get it all working again,
First time the newly repaired secondary's came on line car went sideways.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...diagnosis.html
Once that plenum is off its not all that complicated to work on.
You needed tires more than anything else.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:30 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Fuel economy is noticeably compromised with secondary port throttle removal.

With the secondary valves closed, the entire intake charge comes into the combustion chamber via one intake valve - which creates a swirl effect and allows a lean mixture with effective power. Thus, a ***** to the wall 415 cid LT5 can get 26 mpg at 80 mph with 3:73s, while stock LT5s in this thread are bragging about a paltry 23 mpg at 70 mph and stock rear end - because the secondaries had been removed.

Loss of 30% fuel economy? No power gains? I'll keep the secondaries - thanks!
Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

fuel mileage for me didn't change much at all, but one consideration is emissions. My HC went up significantly without the secondaries.

it's also not a "big power mod" even on the stokers. I got 5 HP (which is within dyno error range) and probably most of this improvement came from slight cleanup porting of the injector housings. marc said that the flow gains are very slight with about 3-6 cfm or so. The real improvement comes from opening up the secondary porting to make the mod worthwhile. I did see 8 ft lbs of torq increase in the mid range, but overall the juice isn't worth the squeeze with the possible exception of simplifying the car and keeping the secondary injectors flowing more so they stay clean and the things dynomite noted above.

I have to agree with Doc, it's really not a mod that is worth much for power, but parts left out don't break either and Mr. Haibeck can hook you up if you want to run the right chip and eliminate them.

Quick Reply: 1991 ZR-1 Performance Question