C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Factory Overspray? 1995 ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Factory Overspray? 1995 ZR-1

Thought I knew my '95 pretty well & just opened the rear deck lid & saw this paint splotch on the passenger side underneath which I never noticed before. The 60s Vettes were notorious for overspray all over, but I never heard anything about the C4s/ZR-1s. When the deck lid closes, the spot sits right on the weatherstripping, which is in excellent condition.

Are there instances of the lids being closed before the weatherstripping has been applied while the paint wasn't dry? The paint is perfect all the way around, so I really don't think any part has been repainted. Car has 22K mi.

Thoughts?
Thx
Attached Images    
Old 02-14-2016, 06:20 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverfox1
Thought I knew my '95 pretty well & just opened the rear deck lid & saw this paint splotch on the passenger side underneath which I never noticed before. The 60s Vettes were notorious for overspray all over, but I never heard anything about the C4s/ZR-1s. When the deck lid closes, the spot sits right on the weatherstripping, which is in excellent condition.

Are there instances of the lids being closed before the weatherstripping has been applied while the paint wasn't dry? The paint is perfect all the way around, so I really don't think any part has been repainted. Car has 22K mi.

Thoughts?
Thx
my 91 zr-1 has some over spray on the inside of the front bumper cover wear the side marker is.That spot that you have it on is strange.
I would just get some lacquer thinner and wipe it clean.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That paint spot is not factory,the cars were painted bare body and then assembled.If you look at the bottom of the car most likely you will see overspray and under to hood in a few spots.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Not normal...that I have seen.

I would remove gas filler door (4 x Hex15 screws). You can usually tell a lot under the door at the quarter panel junction.

Ted
Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 91vettezr1
my 91 zr-1 has some over spray on the inside of the front bumper cover wear the side marker is.That spot that you have it on is strange.
I would just get some lacquer thinner and wipe it clean.

Yes, I'm gonna clean it up. A mystery, thx.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
That paint spot is not factory,the cars were painted bare body and then assembled.If you look at the bottom of the car most likely you will see overspray and under to hood in a few spots.

Yes, I've got same. Thx
Old 02-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Demps
Not normal...that I have seen.

I would remove gas filler door (4 x Hex15 screws). You can usually tell a lot under the door at the quarter panel junction.

Ted

Will check that out. Thx Ted

Rob
Old 02-14-2016, 09:20 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As others have said not from the factory, Be careful removing it you don't want to take off the black around the glass edge. Great looking ZR-1
Old 02-14-2016, 10:04 PM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Originally Posted by We Gone
As others have said not from the factory, Be careful removing it you don't want to take off the black around the glass edge. Great looking ZR-1
Thx. Used nail polish remover, then glass cleaner, all good. Like it never happened.
Thx everyone!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverfox1
Thx. Used nail polish remover, then glass cleaner, all good. Like it never happened.
Thx everyone!
Thats 100% factory. We had so many 93-95's with factory over spray on the underside of the glass its not even funny. There were some 90-92's with it but noticed more later cars with over spray.

Demps (Ted) I'm shocked you haven't noticed this before.

You have to remember the factory had its own paint and repair area. When we visited the tours you would see 15-20 cars at any given time with door, rear quarter, hood etc being resprayed.

We had a 93 40th Z come in off the truck and the whole front end had DA marks under the florescent lights. Found DA sanding discs with Ruby Red paint stuffed in the right side gill panel. I watched this car roll off the truck coming from Bowling Green.

We use to have back in the day 3-4 ZR-1's around all the time. New cars or like new. There are several other areas under the hood and front bumpers around the black fog lamp area, that would make someone think previous paint work.

I think the robots had trouble painting narrow body cars and then wide body cars? I think that's why we had so many rear quarter panels resprayed.

Again I haven't seen the paint on this car but I have seen plenty of cars that were new or like new 1 year old 500-2,000 miles that had the same over spray.

Last edited by LPE385; 02-16-2016 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Silverfox1 (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 12:51 AM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Originally Posted by LPE385
Thats 100% factory. We had so many 93-95's with factory over spray on the underside of the glass its not even funny. There were some 90-92's with it but noticed more later cars with over spray.

Demps (Ted) I'm shocked you haven't noticed this before.

You have to remember the factory had its own paint and repair area. When we visited the tours you would see 15-20 cars at any given time with door, rear quarter, hood etc being resprayed.

We had a 93 40th Z come in off the truck and the whole front end had DA marks under the lights. Found DA sanding discs with Ruby Red paint stuffed in the right side gill panel. I watched this car roll off the truck coming from Bowling Green.

We use to have back in the day have 3-4 ZR-1's around all the time. New cars or like new. There are several other areas under the hood and front bumpers around the black fog lamp area, that would make someone think previous paint work.

I think the robots had trouble painting narrow body cars and then wide body cars? I think that's why we had so many rear quarter panels resprayed.

Again I haven't seen the paint on this car but I have seen plenty of cars that were new or like new 1 year old 500-2,000 miles that had the same over spray.

Wow, great story! Makes sense with first paint screwups & then having to touchup after assembly with a bad masking job. In this case since the problem seems not to be that well known (unlike the C2s), I'm glad to remove the paint rather than try to educate a judge or the public at large that this is original paint.

Thx a heap!

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Overspray? 1995 ZR-1

Quick Reply: Factory Overspray? 1995 ZR-1