C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

OBX exhaust vs. Corsa vs. custom

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default OBX exhaust vs. Corsa vs. custom

Is the OBX and Corsa the same type of build, meaning same size, connections, resonators, and what not?

I have thought about doing a custom exhaust as well. I have a borla axle back mufflers and the center resonator is deleted. I will be putting in SW headers and C6Z06 cats. I just haven't decided the cat back yet.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be good?
Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by billy mild
Is the OBX and Corsa the same type of build, meaning same size, connections, resonators, and what not?

I have thought about doing a custom exhaust as well. I have a borla axle back mufflers and the center resonator is deleted. I will be putting in SW headers and C6Z06 cats. I just haven't decided the cat back yet.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be good?
while the OBX is a good value, they are very different. the corsa has a proprietary tech for the sound control and is higher quality and price point.

haven't yet heard what the OBX exhaust sounds like yet.

if you decide to go B&B, I have a used system with X pipe that 's better than either one. $650 plus the ride (shipping)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:45 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh

Yes you have. My Z has OBX headers and exhaust.
Dimensionally, Corsa and OBX are almost identical. However, as Ron stated, Corsa mufflers utilize Helmholtz chamber (takes part of sound wave and creates opposite phase) to cancel each other out. This works well with low frequency sound. That's why Corsa exhaust sounds relatively quiet at idle and yet gets loud as engine reves higher.
OBX utilizes perforated pipe wrapped with insulation at resonators and mufflers resulting in more traditional sounding exhaust - deeper rumble.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:10 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

while the OBX is a good value, they are very different. the corsa has a proprietary tech for the sound control and is higher quality and price point.

if you decide to go B&B, I have a used system with X pipe that 's better than either one. $650 plus the ride (shipping)
Do you have any sound clips of the exhaust? Would you be willing to separate the cats? I already have a set.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:58 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Hi Yun,

I actually thought you had a corsa

you have the OBx headers too I bellieve

the obx tips look pretty similar and very nice

I have to say I'm not a fan of Corsa WOT sound
Old 02-22-2016, 12:42 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Ron,

I just wanted to ask if in those cases, where you did not like the sound, if the car had catalytic converters or headers or just what configuration of system, from the engine on back, that the car had.

Having heard some Corsa's on ZR-1's in the past, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the sound either, but based on choices at the time, I didn't want resonance, and B&B's would have just been too much to handle.

Case in point, my car has Corsa's (Black Diamond tips) matched up to Stainless Works headers AND their high flow cats. I am in love with the sound of my car and have been getting a lot of compliments, mostly from other Corvette owners on some of the [club] functions, when they hear me "get on it"! It isn't the "tinny" sound that I have heard on some Corsa's and I don't know how to pinpoint what the difference is.

I just add that my headers are stock length, meaning that everything was a bolt up deal require no cutting or welding (if that has anything to do with the sound results).

Hi Yun,

I have to say I'm not a fan of Corsa WOT sound

Last edited by Meanmyz; 02-22-2016 at 10:05 PM. Reason: edit for clarity
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Meanmyz
Hi Ron,

I just wanted to ask if in those cases, where you did not like the sound, if the car had catalytic converters or headers or just what configuration of system, from the engine on back, that the car had.

Having heard some Corsa's on ZR-1's in the past, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the sound either, but based on choices at the time, I didn't want resonance, and B&B's would have just been too much to handle.

Case in point, my car has Corsa's (Black Diamond tips) matched up to Stainless Works headers AND their high flow cats. I am in love with the sound of my car and have been getting a lot of compliments, mostly from other Corvette owners on some of the functions, when they hear me "get on it"! It isn't the "tinny" sound that I have heard on some Corsa's and I don't know how to pinpoint what the difference is.

I just add that my headers are stock length, meaning that everything was a bolt up deal require no cutting or welding (if that has anything to do with the sound results).

I first installed my Corsa without cats and it did have a very tinny sound, put the high flow cats on love it now.
The following users liked this post:
Meanmyz (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 10:04 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by We Gone
I first installed my Corsa without cats and it did have a very tinny sound, put the high flow cats on love it now.
Hey thanks for the input We Gone. My hunch was the cats...or the absence of them that contributed to the tinny sound. I can't say that I have any of that on my car. I am guessing yours is kind of a duplicate of the setup on mine.

Last edited by Meanmyz; 02-22-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

I've heard the corsa with and without cats and I prefer the rwhp and sound of the B&B for a big stroker LT5

the X pipe really helps and most of the really bad drone was in the old B&B they were maybe just a bit stronger because the mufflers flowed better but at 2k and below they were hard to take on the highway

I have 4.10 gears and don't get any bad sounds until I get under 1500 which is just fine as I don't crooze that low.

both systems are great but the sound is very indivdiual in taste

the B&B is more throaty and roars at WOT, the Corsa is a bit more understated.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:54 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone here have a fairly new B&B System? Purchased within the last 2 years? Does it drone at any speed?

Last edited by C4.Ray; 02-24-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:54 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C4.Ray
Anyone here have a fairly new B&B System? Purchased within the last 2 years? Does it drone at any speed?
mine is about 5 years old but it starts to drone at about 1700 and gets pretty bad at 1500

this is worse with 3.45 gears for sure the x pipe and the new style mufflers which are more restrictive really tamed this down.

in the first gen system it's pretty raucous, but they are also the least restrictive

on the big CI motors revving above 7k rpms I believe a custom or B&B is a good choice

I think the 95 exh with the resonator replaced with an x pipe and good magnaflow muffs is about the optimal bang for the buck

unless you consider the B&B with X pipes and cats I have for $600 plus shipping (shameless plug)

I am thinking about going to a "flapper sytle" c6 exh which I believe is the best of both worlds. a very low restriction system with the right growl at WOT and a relatively quiet crooze to keep the Ms. happy

so far with the new gen B&B, I haven't found croozin at 2k worth the hassle with 4.10 gears and big 335 meats on the back, there's just not that much drone at crooze to worry about.

clearly the reflective tech muffler design of the corsa is a much more efficient muffler. Mr. Haibeck did some really interesting testing to show that the corsa despite the 2.5 inch design offers lower back pressure mufflers and the "straight through" sound cancellation system I believe is superior in many ways to the B&B, I just don't like how it sounds as much at WOT which is where I like to spend as much time as possible
Old 02-25-2016, 10:48 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanmyz
Hey thanks for the input We Gone. My hunch was the cats...or the absence of them that contributed to the tinny sound. I can't say that I have any of that on my car. I am guessing yours is kind of a duplicate of the setup on mine.
Steve is right--the cats soften the sound considerably. I recall I used to characterize it as about 20% or so loudness reduction when I was experimenting many years back. Definitely improves the Corsa sound. Currently I have no cats but have the stock exhaust system behind the headers, so I don't have any unpleasant noise. When the cutouts are open, it is usually for racing and I really don't notice any drone or tinny sound. Just straight through loudness and a 15 HP boost. --Bob
Old 02-25-2016, 11:04 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
Steve is right--the cats soften the sound considerably. I recall I used to characterize it as about 20% or so loudness reduction when I was experimenting many years back. Definitely improves the Corsa sound. Currently I have no cats but have the stock exhaust system behind the headers, so I don't have any unpleasant noise. When the cutouts are open, it is usually for racing and I really don't notice any drone or tinny sound. Just straight through loudness and a 15 HP boost. --Bob
Bob seems to have done extensive research and I agree with him that the stock system behind headers and no cats produces the best sound-hp-and minimal to no drone.

Last edited by C4.Ray; 02-25-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:58 PM
RussMcB
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billy mild
<snip> I have thought about doing a custom exhaust as well. I have a borla axle back mufflers and the center resonator is deleted.
A data point for you: I love my Borla mufflers. I ditched the Borla resonator (with ridiculous small inlets) and replaced it with a SW X-pipe. I have OBX headers, no cats and the sound is great (to my ears). It's a pretty beefy sound. A little too loud for my wife but not to me.

Last edited by RussMcB; 03-01-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To OBX exhaust vs. Corsa vs. custom

Quick Reply: OBX exhaust vs. Corsa vs. custom