C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Looking for current info regarding Fidanza FW swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:13 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Looking for current info regarding Fidanza FW swap

I am looking to swap my DM for a Fidanza unit. Most of the great info I am running into regarding this topic is from 2010. What I want to do is use my stock pressure plate if possible. From what I understand a spung hub clutch is the way to go. Centerforce? It is also recommended to use longer clutch to FW bolts and bottom tap holes to pick up extra threads.

Are there any clearance issues that have to be addressed using the aftermarket parts?

Best pilot bearing/bushing? Seems like folks are split between fluted bronze and roller types.

Good non-Chinese through-out bearing? I plen to reuse my stock unit if possible. May even reuse pilot bearing. Car only has 25,000 miles on it.

Will there be any issues with the starter gear clearance with new flywheel?

I am looking to purchase the flywheel kit from Marc H..
Old 02-27-2016, 04:57 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Some good reads

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26103
The following users liked this post:
KJL (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 05:18 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by We Gone
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Thanks for the info!
Marc installs them all the time. So, he'd be able to answer all you questions.

FWIW, I installed mine 4 years ago, using a Centerforce Camaro sprung-hub disc, and would have reused the pressure plate, but found a new (Duralast) PP at AutoZone and went with that and the longer APR bolts and RED thread locker.

It works fine and is behind "510" hp this whole time. But, if I end up cooking it, I plan on installing a RAM dual disc setup and be done with clutches!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:33 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Marc installs them all the time. So, he'd be able to answer all you questions.

FWIW, I installed mine 4 years ago, using a Centerforce Camaro sprung-hub disc, and would have reused the pressure plate, but found a new (Duralast) PP at AutoZone and went with that and the longer APR bolts and RED thread locker.

It works fine and is behind "510" hp this whole time. But, if I end up cooking it, I plan on installing a RAM dual disc setup and be done with clutches!
Paul-
Did you feel a difference in the light weight fly wheel? I know they take some time to get used to. Also, why your comment regarding being done with clutches? You said your current set up runs fine. Have you had issues in the past using the stock clutch design? I was planning on using the sprung Centerforce Disc #381039. I think this is the one you are referring to. Plan on using the longer bolts and purchasing a bottoming tap. I thought there was a kit out there for this? My 1995 puts 400 to the rear wheels. After it becomes exempt for emissions, I may consider stoking it or at least a cam upgrade.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for current info regarding Fidanza FW swap

Quick Reply: Looking for current info regarding Fidanza FW swap