C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT5 Refinishing Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:30 AM
DRGVette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the look of the polished aluminum. To me that is the most impressive and stunning. But I do love driving the car and I heard it is very very difficult to keep it shined up all of the time. So that's why I was thinking of the blue and silver look. I still appreciate all the little advice from everyone. What is the best way to get all of the hard old paint off and get the plenum smooth? Especially it can't be good to get any media in cam covers plenum etc. Thanks
Old 03-16-2016, 01:06 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by DRGVette
I love the look of the polished aluminum. To me that is the most impressive and stunning. But I do love driving the car and I heard it is very very difficult to keep it shined up all of the time. So that's why I was thinking of the blue and silver look. I still appreciate all the little advice from everyone. What is the best way to get all of the hard old paint off and get the plenum smooth? Especially it can't be good to get any media in cam covers plenum etc. Thanks
I understand what you want. I drive my car almost daily and it stays nice without constant polishing.
I don't usually drive it in rain though. Good Luck.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That polished LT5 is stunning. But personally I would need an approach that requires less maintenance. And it does look a lot like chrome, which we see so much of in the hot rod world.

What about smoothing the plenum castings? And then some kind of media blasting that would give it a soft sheen, not shiny, more like a raw aluminum finish? I've never seen an LT5 done like this.

I don't mean to get too esoteric here, but to me the best look always takes advantage of the original materials.
Unlike other engines, the LT5's exterior consists almost entirely of aluminum. Why not take advantage of that fact and not cover it with paint, but refinish the raw aluminum, then seal it to make it resistant to stains.

I would also like to see aluminum versions of the plastic emblems on the cam covers too.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by VetBoyZR1
I'm thinking of just putting a big piece of Tupperware over mine so it looks more like a modern engine.

NOT!!!!!
ahhh going the modern ugly engine route.

maybe a big carbon fiber cover, how about NOOOOOO!!!!!

seriously I think pulling the plenum is easy but the cam covers not so much.

a tip is to give each torx bolt a good rap to shake it loose and hopefully you won't strip one. that leads to a whole lot of fun,.

I'd like to think with some patience you could refinish and paint the cam covers pretty well in the car.

and as difficult as they are to pull, I'd like to try that first. if it doesn't work, you can always try again after pulling them. just take your time and mask everything off VERY well.

I'm worried about powder coating as the heat might warp the cover, probably not a problem, but I'm paranoid about ruining a cam cover as there isn't much way to fix them!!

I'm going to part with my lovely signatures or buy another plenum and make the bifurcation ported intake a wall hanging (expensive one at that!!).

As much as they add to the value of the LSV, a pretty engine appeals to me more!!! let me know what you decide.

and if you decide to take the brake booster out to pull the cam cover, pull the seat first. your back will thank me later. those bolts are a bugger.

Last edited by Rkreigh; 04-06-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Removing Cam Covers Engine In Car

Originally Posted by Rkreigh

seriously I think pulling the plenum is easy but the cam covers not so much. A tip is to give each torx bolt a good rap to shake it loose and hopefully you won't strip one. that leads to a whole lot of fun,.
It Can Be Done
Removing Cam Covers (Engine In Car) for Inspections of Camshafts
Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

no doubt taking them off will make them much easier to refinish and it's doable

I think the combo polished and candy red is pretty durn sexy

especially on a black car

I'm torch red, so I might stick with that.

I've been stock color for a long time and maybe ready for something with a bit more pizzaz
Old 04-06-2016, 02:46 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
no doubt taking them off will make them much easier to refinish and it's doable

I think the combo polished and candy red is pretty durn sexy

especially on a black car

I'm torch red, so I might stick with that.

I've been stock color for a long time and maybe ready for something with a bit more pizzaz
I have a new picture..

I cleaned up the top of the plenum, and TB Top Cover. Polished the 4 PCV tubes, I have a start on the A/C Lines (they need more work) and I polished the TB side cover that covers the Throttle cable and cruise cable

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 04-06-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:03 PM
32valvesftw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So whats the trick for the lettering, a steady hand?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:28 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Post #67 for removing cam covers
Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Jeff that looks awesome
What would kinda look neat is the top rather than sheer polish give it sort of an industrial machined finish. Maybe use some coarse scotchbrite back and forth keep the lines straight

Always polished every component I could on th eLT5 really like the stocklook with a little gloss. Miss having the extra one laying around just to look at once in awhile.

Quick Reply: LT5 Refinishing Help