C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Regular C4 windshield in a ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 PM
dbdreams
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Regular C4 windshield in a ZR1

Does anyone here have a regular C4 windshield installed in their ZR1 and if so what are the pros and cons?

I know that the OEM ZR1 windshield was designed to help with the air conditioning but I think I would prefer the regular windshield to avoid the look of the delamination. I am a window tinter by trade and I think the windshield would look better with a more traditional tint instead of the foggy look around the edges of the original. Just tying to size up my options an authenticity isn't really a concern for me because the one I'm looking to buy isn't really a show car anyway.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dbdreams
Does anyone here have a regular C4 windshield installed in their ZR1 and if so what are the pros and cons?

I know that the OEM ZR1 windshield was designed to help with the air conditioning but I think I would prefer the regular windshield to avoid the look of the delamination. I am a window tinter by trade and I think

the windshield would look better with a more traditional tint instead of the foggy look around the edges of the original. Just tying to size up my options an authenticity isn't really a concern for me because the

one I'm looking to buy isn't really a show car anyway.
I don't have regular C 4 windshield in my ZR-1... yet. However, recently I got a rock chip right dead center where you spend a lot of time looking through the glass.

Besides, at 140+K the windshield is pitted from sand.

Also, many ZR-1s have good windshields and are not de-laminated like mine. You can even see the tong marks on mine. However, of the 4 other ZR-1s I have owned none of them had a de-lamination issue.

If you come up with a tint that has a similar look to a ZR-1 windshield it that would be nice option to acquire. My car is a driver so authenticity will most likely not happen while I own it.

A thread posted somewhere about a tinting company that could help produce a ZR-1 like windshield some time ago... was the companies name "Air Blue"? Anybody here remember?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:37 PM
dbdreams
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zrxmax
I don't have regular C 4 windshield in my ZR-1... yet. However, recently I got a rock chip right dead center where you spend a lot of time looking through the glass.

Besides, at 140+K the windshield is pitted from sand.

Also, many ZR-1s have good windshields and are not de-laminated like mine. You can even see the tong marks on mine. However, of the 4 other ZR-1s I have owned none of them had a de-lamination issue.

If you come up with a tint that has a similar look to a ZR-1 windshield it that would be nice option to acquire. My car is a driver so authenticity will most likely not happen while I own it.

A thread posted somewhere about a tinting company that could help produce a ZR-1 like windshield some time ago... was the companies name "Air Blue"? Anybody here remember?
Sounds like you may be talking about a product from Llumar that is called Air 80 and I believe it does have a slight blue hue to it when looking out of it if I'm not mistaken

The reason I'm asking is I'm in the process of buying a ZR1 but it has a small chip in the windshield but it is on the drivers side and likely right where you might often be looking. I'm not really interested in dropping 2K on a windshield if the same performance can be achieved with a regular C4 windshield and some widow film I already have at my disposal, authenticity being of no concern.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:03 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I'd be interested to know what you decide to use for film and also if you decide to do the "cut-out" for the exterior appearance. Would you do the film on the bench and install the glass with the film already attached or would you do it after the install. How "tough" is the film you might have in mind? I spoke to a local here a few years ago regarding this and he mentioned "whenever I was ready. I ain't quite ready BUT close!

I had several Pontiac STE cars in the mid/late '80s and they had a plastic film on them. I carried my own "plastic razor-blade" for the inspection station removal of the sticker when inspected.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-16-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:48 PM
dbdreams
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd be interested to know what you decide to use for film and also if you decide to do the "cut-out" for the exterior appearance. Would you do the film on the bench and install the glass with the film already attached or would you do it after the install. How "tough" is the film you might have in mind? I spoke to a local here a few years ago regarding this and he mentioned "whenever I was ready. I ain't quite ready BUT close!

I had several Pontiac STE cars in the mid/late '80s and they had a plastic film on them. I carried my own "plastic razor-blade" for the inspection station removal of the sticker when inspected.
If I tint it myself I will go with a 32% or maybe even 20% traditional charcoal film. I won't do the cut out it will be in one piece. I will install the film with the windshield in place.

You asked how "tough" what do you mean? how long the film will last? or how tough is it to install?

Here is a pic of my truck (maroon) with the windshield in 20% and my friends also in 20%. This is the look I'll be going for.
Attached Images  

Last edited by dbdreams; 05-19-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 PM
dbdreams
Advanced

correction
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2016, 10:01 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

I know that both Paul Workman and Jim Voter, among others, have installed regular windshields in their ZR-1s due to accident or delam. Maybe one or both of them will chime in. The primary benefit is cost; the drawback is not having the stock looking tint showing the two different cutouts. One long time ZR-1 owner has recently sourced reproduction ZR-1 windshields and I believe Marc Haibeck is (or will be) the retail source for them; don't know if they are available yet. Check with him if you want exact reproductions. For those wishing to use regular C4 windshields to save money, it would be great if someone could develop and market a very light tint template with the cutouts appropriate for the model years that professional window tinters could install. Since you are a tinter by trade, dbdreams, I wonder if that is something you could do? Might be a profitable item for you. Especially if made so that you didn't have to remove the windshield to put it on.--Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 05-17-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:21 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

If I tint it myself I will go with a 32% or maybe even 20% traditional charcoal film. I won't do the cut out it will be in one piece. I will install the film with the windshield in place.

You asked how "tough" what do you mean? how long the film will last? or how tough is it to install?

Here is a pic of my truck (maroon) with the windshield in 20% and my friends also in 20%. This is the look I'll be going for.
It looks good! Now a couple of problems. No cut-out kind of negates the whole idea. That's what people
Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Looks good! Now for a couple of problems. No cut-out...that's what people are looking for, most could care less about the tint... tinting the rest of the windows does more for heat reduction if that's an issue. It was pretty much a marketing ploy that people are now using for a benchmark on originality. Legality issues in many states. I'd guess over half the ZR-1s with over 30k miles now have replacement windshields, which is an incredibly low number considering normal attrition, let alone the delamination/fogging problem.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:05 AM
dbdreams
Advanced

I have a small shop and I cut by hand but some larger shops have plotters that cut the film for them. There is no doubt that if any of you are looking for tint that will replicate the original it would be entirely possible. I'm gonna look into it to see if any of my colleagues may already have a template. The only other concern to replicate the original would be film choice but I also feel confident there is a viable choice that will be very close as far as the "look" to the original
Old 05-17-2016, 01:04 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

OP - When I asked about "tough" I meant durability wise to physical touch. If the film is really substantial and durable/tough I'd think it good to do the inside and replicate the cut-out.

In some states film on the windshield isn't allowed BUT I do believe if you can get a prescription from a qualified ophthalmologist that it's required/desired then that might over-ride inspection station denial or a traffic stop concerning it's presents.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Sounds like you may be talking about a product from Llumar that is called Air 80 and I believe it does have a slight blue hue to it when looking out of it if I'm not mistaken

The reason I'm asking is I'm in the process of buying a ZR1 but it has a small chip in the windshield but it is on the drivers side and likely right where you might often be looking. I'm not really interested in dropping 2K on a windshield if the same performance can be achieved with a regular C4 windshield and some widow film I already have at my disposal, authenticity being of no concern.

I am not a ZR-1 owner but do have the Air80 Llumar installed on my vehicle. It is installed on the inside of the windshield and cuts down a bit on heat and UV rays.

The steering wheel still heats up from the sunlight, but not as much.

I don't know if that will help you with rock chips as it goes inside the windshield as opposed to outside.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:52 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 391 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I replaced my stock windshield with a regular one as the stock one was cracked

I wanted to do the Air80 product with a cut-out in mine. I spoke with 5 tint shops and only one would try it. I asked if they wanted to install the tint before the windshield was installed. They said "no, since the tint might get scratched during the installation." Well, after I had the regular windshield installed, the tint shop said, "We won't install the tine after the windshield is installed" I would still love to find someone who could install the tint with a cutout ...

I'm glad I have regular Corvette windshield since I have a driver, and I have picked up some rock chips. I would have been REAL mad if I spent $2K on the reproduction Z windshields only to have it chipped.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ghlkal
I replaced my stock windshield with a regular one as the stock one was cracked

I wanted to do the Air80 product with a cut-out in mine. I spoke with 5 tint shops and only one would try it. I asked if they wanted to install the tint before the windshield was installed. They said "no, since the tint might get scratched during the installation." Well, after I had the regular windshield installed, the tint shop said, "We won't install the tine after the windshield is installed" I would still love to find someone who could install the tint with a cutout ...

I'm glad I have regular Corvette windshield since I have a driver, and I have picked up some rock chips. I would have been REAL mad if I spent $2K on the reproduction Z windshields only to have it chipped.

The difficulty level in installing the Air80 is pretty high, I think. Not only does the installer have to make a perfect cut of the material to place on the inside of the windshield, many windshields have those black dot matrix patterns at the very top/center of the glass to cut sun glare. The installer has to cut around those tiny dots and make it look seamless to the naked eye. The installer who did my wife's vehicle was probably one of their top guys, as the cut is almost invisible.

I'd only go with a shop that has done a lot of these installs.

Last edited by Patriot10; 05-17-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:22 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Reg C4 glass in hot AZ, OK
Old 05-17-2016, 10:26 PM
anniv88
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a ZR1 for a couple of years that had a regular windshield in it.
No problems. It's like driving any car with a regular windshield except
it's a ZR1.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

"Chiming in"...

Yes, after seeing a standard Safelite installed at Marc Haibeck's shop, I had one put in my Z.

It is beautiful! It does have some tinting overall, and heavier tinting across the top to cut direct sun glare.

I'm not worried about resale - I bought it to enjoy - and I do! And, I still marvel at the optical clarity of this WS, compared to the original with that laminate.

I'm completely satisfied with the Safelite WS. The cost was around $350 installed, IIRC. (Installation took place at their shop; not on my driveway as they normally would. Their shop had a guy familiar with C4s in particular - was the reasoning for doing it there.)

Get notified of new replies

To Regular C4 windshield in a ZR1

Old 05-21-2016, 09:10 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 391 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Patriot10
I'd only go with a shop that has done a lot of these installs.
I wish there was someone nearby who could do this

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I'm completely satisfied with the Safelite WS. The cost was around $350 installed, IIRC. (Installation took place at their shop; not on my driveway as they normally would. Their shop had a guy familiar with C4s in particular - was the reasoning for doing it there.)
Yup, same for me.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

2k is for a windshield dont think it would affect value much at all unless it was a judged ultra low mile queen someone was wanting top buck for (good that theres an option though.)
At the end of the day the car still is what it is.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:09 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
2k is for a windshield dont think it would affect value much at all unless it was a judged ultra low mile queen someone was wanting top buck for (good that theres an option though.)
At the end of the day the car still is what it is.
But then you have the irony, if it doesn't have any delamination/discoloration, its immediately recognized as not original.

Quick Reply: Regular C4 windshield in a ZR1