C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Broadening the ZR Registry Universe

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:26 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
The ZR-1 Registry is currently devoted to maintaining the legend of the
C4 ZR Corvette. The KOTH. GM has produced and it appears they will continue to produce other ZR Corvettes for subsequent generations such as the C6 and what is apparently for the C7 Gen. The proposal is that the ZR-1 Registry broadens its scope to include those ZR nameplate Corvettes as well. One home for all ZR Corvettes. Not Z06, not ZL-1, not L anything,
not GS.
Given the description as you wrote it, I'm not sure I would want to dilute the C4 ZR-1 with the other vehicles. The C4 is unique among high HP Corvettes by virtue of its DOHC engine architecture. That uniqueness would be forgotten under a banner that just promotes an interest in peak power in some generations, but not others. I'm just not sure of the real rationale for the expansion.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:26 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I've hung out with and run the registry too for a long time. Getting more corvette owners involved can be a great thing as the ZR-1 brother hood are very rabid corvette fans and often appreciate the other ZR-1 cars as well.

A few years back we had a 71 ZR-1 a mid year with an LT5, and of course the C4 and C6 ZR-1s and there owners all together. Everyone got along great and it was cool to see the variety.

And our numbers dwindle, and enthusiasm for the old LT5 cars begins to wain (technology moves on) getting others to fill the void can be a good thing to keep the numbers up, costs down, and the events viable (which is why it's a C4 Gathering and ALL are welcome). At the end of the day we are corvette enthusiasts with the ZR-1 as the primary focus.

And that leads me to my recommendation, keep the "legend" pure.

It's fine if other folks want to join and hang out and appreciate the ZR-1.

But as soon as you go down the road of "catering" to all marques they will be slighted on tech, parts, ect... and not really feel that the club is a solid value for them.

just my .02

Quick Reply: Broadening the ZR Registry Universe