C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

DIY Top End Porting

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Thanks for info. I am a major advocate of part throttle tuning. My experience (20 years worth) has been primarily with carburetors. I am interested in how the iterative process works long distance. Do I run the car at various speeds on a dyno then send data to you for adjustments? I have a 95 ZR1 as well which is the one I have done the most too. It puts down 400 at rear wheels with headers, exhaust, aggressive top end porting and 63 mm TB. All I did with the heads was port match them to IH's to a depth of about 1.5" blended into the head.

The 92 I just wanted to perk up a little while retaining most of the stock look. The engine runs well but I have not performed a leak down or compression test on this engine yet. Only 25,000 miles on the engine.
Part throttle tune is even more critical in EFI ECM comtrolled motors because it establishes the baseline for all other fueling. And yeah I tuned carbs way back when which actually helps in understanding what you are doing w EFI.
I can text u my # to discuss remote tuning. Easier to
review the process that way.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:55 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Part throttle tune is even more critical in EFI ECM comtrolled motors because it establishes the baseline for all other fueling. And yeah I tuned carbs way back when which actually helps in understanding what you are doing w EFI.
I can text u my # to discuss remote tuning. Easier to
review the process that way.
amen! I'm really interested right now in the megasquirt approach to tuning an lt5

the factory ecm is quite capable, but the new stuff is easier and more fun and I've been wanting to get into a megasquirt so what better project than to do an lt5. My buddy Dr. Phil has one, I'm going to get my grubby little hands on it !!

I think we can use possibly the saturn coil on plug setup, and fire both injectors except at idle (I have no secondaries).

no doubt the megasquirt offers some very nice capabilities!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
amen! I'm really interested right now in the megasquirt approach to tuning an lt5

the factory ecm is quite capable, but the new stuff is easier and more fun and I've been wanting to get into a megasquirt so what better project than to do an lt5. My buddy Dr. Phil has one, I'm going to get my grubby little hands on it !!

I think we can use possibly the saturn coil on plug setup, and fire both injectors except at idle (I have no secondaries).

no doubt the megasquirt offers some very nice capabilities!
Ron,

Unless you are running something exotic for the motor and don't care about comms w the CCM, I don't see that the MS unit offers any advantage over the stock ECM. Don't think u can find better software for running a motor for day in day out than what GM has done. The aftermarket units are optimized for one or two modes of operation, while the OEM stuff has to deal w all the contingencies required to get EPA certification. I'd love to be able to add some additional or substitute code to the OEM programming to provide additional functionality. Have a look at www.dynamicefi.com for a good example of what can be done w OEM ECMs.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:10 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
I am having Marc H. do the chip for me.
Now on with port matching heads to gasket and IH's.
Attached Images   

Last edited by KJL; 09-17-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:48 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Here are some updated IH post porting numbers.

Last edited by KJL; 09-17-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:13 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Here are the final values. Did not expect much of a change with the secondaries IH ports. I did not record Pre Port data for the intake plenum at -11"wg. The value 1.7" is approximate based on a sampling of the ports. This was done just to get a feel for how well the plenum values matched with the IH. Greater is good!
Attached Images   

Last edited by KJL; 09-17-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KJL
Here are the final values. Did not expect much of a change with the secondaries IH ports. I did not record Pre Port data for the intake plenum at -11"wg. The value 1.7" is approximate based on a sampling of the ports. This was done just to get a feel for how well the plenum values matched with the IH. Greater is good!

Just goes to show how much more the LT5 was capable of.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:42 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

The intake horn all ready to go.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
The intake horn all ready to go.
It would be worth knowing what the change in flow is between the stock air horn and one that has been "ported". Same for the stock vs. one with the primary ported to 63mm, and a third scenario, 63mm with the material removed from the air-horn and regions adjacent to the primary ports (to enhance flow).

Can ya fill in any of these blanks?
Old 10-06-2017, 04:13 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
It would be worth knowing what the change in flow is between the stock air horn and one that has been "ported". Same for the stock vs. one with the primary ported to 63mm, and a third scenario, 63mm with the material removed from the air-horn and regions adjacent to the primary ports (to enhance flow).

Paul-
My guess is there would be a small improvement in flow through the horn at high velocities. I just removed some casting imperfections and some of the sharp edges where the air transitions into the throttle body. My guess is the horn, given its size relative to everything else is not a pinch point for air flow. My little flow bench setup could not flow enough air to register any meaningful values for that.

Last edited by KJL; 05-14-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:07 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

If using a 63mm TB, it would be more beneficial to port match the plenum to the TB
Old 10-09-2017, 06:38 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Ron,

Unless you are running something exotic for the motor and don't care about comms w the CCM, I don't see that the MS unit offers any advantage over the stock ECM. Don't think u can find better software for running a motor for day in day out than what GM has done. The aftermarket units are optimized for one or two modes of operation, while the OEM stuff has to deal w all the contingencies required to get EPA certification. I'd love to be able to add some additional or substitute code to the OEM programming to provide additional functionality. Have a look at www.dynamicefi.com for a good example of what can be done w OEM ECMs.
I want to retain the ccm functionality and splice in rather than unplug the factory

I'm looking to turbo and the wideband correction and faster processing, fail safes, ect make the after market stuff attractive. coil on plug, and control over the turbo with one ecm is really what I'm looking for so I can do boost by speed, traction control (that works!) and other new tech that aren't available in the factory ecm

I do agree with you that the factory ecm is great if you can deal with the klunky tuning tools.

the modern interfaces IMHO are easier to use and you can road tune without buying so much stuff.

tuning the low end with the big cams is a hassle too. while I've gotten good streetability, I'm still chasing some low end tip in issues and the factory narrow band o2 stuff really isn't helping me.

for me the logging and road tune of an aftermarket system is a great option.

I'm not ready to go there just yet, but it does look attractive! MS stuff is about 1300 for the ecm and wiring. Now all I need is lots of smarts!!! (oh and cash)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

I would agree w aftermarket only because the OEM system has no support for power adders like NOS, FI, CnP etc. I wish I knew how to program my own routines. There's plenty of stuff that could be removed from the factory code and replaced w custom.
As for the tip in issue, my cams (Pete's Intake and Exhaust) may not be as big as yours, but then I have stock displacement as well. I have no issue whatsoever w tip in. Throttle response is immediate and it beats the ASR activation at times. Idle is between 875-925, no stalling, 30mpg at 70mph cruise. Little rattle from Fidanza at idle and absence of drone at cruise using no resonator. The driveability and streetability is in Closed Loop.
But u do need to know your way around the calibration params beyond just fuel and spark tables.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:45 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Finally putting her back together. Mods include ported intake and injector housings, port matched primary head ports, locked open secondary throttle blades, MH chip to support mods, new Stant thermostat, new serpentine belt, new FIC fuel injectors, new fuel system o-rings and plugged throttle body coolant system.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KJL
Finally putting her back together. Mods include ported intake and injector housings, port matched primary head ports, locked open secondary throttle blades, MH chip to support mods, new Stant thermostat, new serpentine belt, new FIC fuel injectors, new fuel system o-rings and plugged throttle body coolant system.
Have fun.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Have fun.
All I need to do is turn the key.....always stressful. Will do today. Is there anything I should do before hand like spray some oil in the cylinders? The car has been sitting since may.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KJL
All I need to do is turn the key.....always stressful. Will do today. Is there anything I should do before hand like spray some oil in the cylinders? The car has been sitting since may.

You can always pull the ignition fuse and just crank the motor to get oil up onto the cams.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Top End Porting

Old 12-08-2017, 12:52 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

You can always pull the ignition fuse and just crank the motor to get oil up onto the cams.
Where is the fuse? I see one for FI1 and FI2 but nothing that specifically says ignition.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KJL
Where is the fuse? I see one for FI1 and FI2 but nothing that specifically says ignition.
Pull the fuse on INJ 1 (20A). That supplies power to the coil packs.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:42 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Pull the fuse on INJ 1 (20A). That supplies power to the coil packs.
Sooooo....it worked, however when I plugged the fuse back in it still would not start. A plug, the one to the left of the the large connector that screws into that module located up under the intake plenum as come lose. Once I get my borescope charged I can get a better look. I am hoping to be able just push it back in. The day I can start a car following an extensive project the first time, I will know hell as truly frozen over.

Update: I forgot to plug the two connectors into the coil packs. That would explain no spark......

Looks like I get to practice removing the plenum again. I will try and access by just removing the map sensor bracket first but I doubt I will be able to get to it from there.

Last edited by KJL; 12-11-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY Top End Porting