C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

how many people here have a twin turbo zr1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:01 AM
flyingcouch
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1 of 4 C4 ZR1 TT

Hello all,

I am happy to report that my business partner and I procured the 1 of 4 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo ZR1 (also known as Paul"s car). We rescued it from auction back in early 2016. It has been quietly undergoing extensive rehab as it sat for many years. We are expecting to have it back in our collection later this summer. It is a fantastic rare car and we are super happy to have it in our collection. It will be at Carlisle this year before one last stop for final tuning. We are proud to have the car and are restoring it to its full glory with a few modern upgrades. Here are a few pics from the year it spent at Lingenfelter.
Attached Images        

Last edited by flyingcouch; 08-16-2017 at 02:17 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by flyingcouch:
CNGVOIP (08-16-2017), SurfnSun (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:47 AM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingcouch
Hello all,

I am happy to report that my business partner and I procured the 1 of 4 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo ZR1 (also known as Paul"s car). We rescued it from auction back in early 2016. It has been quietly undergoing extensive rehab as it sat for many years. We are expecting to have it back in our collection later this summer. It is a fantastic rare car and we are super happy to have it in our collection. It will be at Carlisle this year before one last stop for final tuning. We are proud to have the car and are restoring it to its full glory with a few modern upgrades. Here are a few pics from the year it spent at Lingenfelter.
Are you leaving the automatic in it?
Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM
flyingcouch
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gbrtng
Are you leaving the automatic in it?
Not sure, we are making that decision this week. We are leaning towards putting six speed back in with heavy duty clutch to handle the HP.
The following users liked this post:
SurfnSun (08-16-2017)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:52 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Does anyone know how this all shook out?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:01 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

I would love to hear an update !
Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR WON
I believe that is a misprint, this is actually Paul Dehnert's TT, a 368. Think you'd be hard pressed to get the 385 out of Will's hands; he chased the car's owner (a very wealthy Middle Eastern man) for years before acquiring it.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
The car Will has belonged to a gentleman in Austria, it was one of Johns first 385 cars. It was returned for more HP as it was not fast enough for him and John used the last of his 4 turbo slots to build it. It was about 90% done and set aside as the owner did not press for return of the car. Several years passed and I figured the car might be for sale so I told Will (since he was lusting for a tt car) to call L and see. About the same time they got a note from his company about the car. They replied of Will desire to buy the car and a deal was struck. He stole it.. It took less than 6 months to make it happen. I knew about the car for many years and figured it would come up at some time. One unique thing is the fueling system, the others use additional injectors whereas Wills car uses larger injectors. Graham said it is good for 15lbs boost but tuned it to 4 5 lbs. It spun on the dyno at 750 hp, I figure it could go 900+ safely.

Remember Rod Dewild here are some shots of a 69 Camaro he is building with a 800 hp lt5 crate motor and sequential shift 6 speed.

1000 hp with a pully change.

Tyler
Old 03-27-2019, 12:20 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

so cool to hear about these cars. The callaway folks need more repreentation as they produced some absolutely beautiful machines as did SGC, and Mallet.

Not too many turbo cars as they were very expensive to fab

I'm convinced with the modern tech, a megasquirt or holley ect for engine management, and E85 and you could do some good things with even a stock block which would be much less expensive than a stroker.

key is using the stock 93-95 manifolds v banded and a few tricks to simplify the TT "plumbing" to reduce costs

LPE and others used the stock ecm plus a "linc" additional injector controller.

with the modern tech, we can just bump up the fuel pump sizes, and run flex fuel and you could get some meaningful HP out of a 368 or stay conservative with a stock block

8XX hp is actually pretty ez as long as we solve the hg / deck sealing and I believe with the MLS HG and improved liners, for closed deck, high boost on e85 is $ away

that $ figure is much less than when LPE and others did their conversions.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

If anyone is serious and has the means, please contact me. I have a spare Haltech S2000 platinum with flex fuel, dual wide band, and 8 channel egt monitoring that would do well for the LT5 twin turbo for the engine management

If I had a few more $, the LSV would be the target for this build but at this point in time but I have another c5 turbo car to get well too. only so many $ and so much time.

the lsv is starting to look REALLY good. short block is back together, heads ready, cam timing videos to come!!
Old 03-28-2019, 12:48 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Ron looking at the s/c setup in the lt5 it might be possible to mate its setup to the lt 5 with a set of custom injector housing that adapts the s/c to the lt 5 heads. Would take moving the coils and dis module. I will see Rod tomorrow and see if I can get him interested, he has a friend locally who builds custom pistons and has one of those state of the art scanners (100,000+) and 5 cnc machines making pistons.

Tyler
Old 03-28-2019, 06:09 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

if you want to venture much above 800 hp the automatic will help the car survive the torq, hook better, and be much easier to drive

the zf won't do well there, and the auto will make the car more streetable but ruin it for many respects for the road course

as many of the LPE TT cars flexed their muscle on the drag strip, they went auto to dip 9s

running a solid ET with the stick is a real challenge, as is getting the spindles to hold up

on my C5 TT car I did not hesitate to go automatic, and went with a race prepped RPM 4L65E good to 800 hp

also use the taller stock gears. No need for 4.10s with the turbos. You want to put the load on them to spool

that's one thing that the auto really does well. I highly recommend a multi disc lock up from precesion or cirle or other torq conv vendors at around 3200

that sounds "really loose" for the street but the modern conv don't slip as much until you put the big torq to them and then they allow the engine to hit peak efficiency and max torq much quicker

with the stick, you are "rocking the torq curve" up and down by a few hundred ft lbs which unsettles the chassis and forces the throttle to partially close which is no bueno compared to holding WOT and letting the turbos eat with the auto

I learned that you better address the drive train and be able to put the power down or it's useless except as a "dyno queen" spinning ain't winning

stay with the auto and "go big" or don't bother with the turbos IMHO

so good to see this car in the right hands that can appreciate it and bring it back to former glory. Paul struggled with that car a bit, Norm is the gent that really spanked out some times with John L driving

ahhhh those were the days, I miss John and Paul as they were the best!!
Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
Ron looking at the s/c setup in the lt5 it might be possible to mate its setup to the lt 5 with a set of custom injector housing that adapts the s/c to the lt 5 heads. Would take moving the coils and dis module. I will see Rod tomorrow and see if I can get him interested, he has a friend locally who builds custom pistons and has one of those state of the art scanners (100,000+) and 5 cnc machines making pistons.

Tyler
demps and I looked at the older LSA blower and it looks like it's made for the LT5. The new KOTH LT5 blower will likely be hard to come by but we have the heart beat and other alternatives that will support 1k hp

as for me, it's hair dryers or nothin Going to coil on plug is "win win" for the old boat motor LT5 I like the MS3 pro as I'm a cheap B@St@rd but any competent after market solution will do just fine.

I'd like to talk to Rod about making the base manifold. Folks are throwing away the LT4 and old LSA blowers that will make plenty of spank

the LT5 does need some help for boosted operation, but now that we have these improved systems, and the DIS module is worth gold, the switch is going to be more affordable

I'd be able to sell the DIS, coil packs, and ign wiring and I think the good old ecotec COP drops right in. This needs to get done!!
Old 03-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
demps and I looked at the older LSA blower and it looks like it's made for the LT5. The new KOTH LT5 blower will likely be hard to come by but we have the heart beat and other alternatives that will support 1k hp

as for me, it's hair dryers or nothin Going to coil on plug is "win win" for the old boat motor LT5 I like the MS3 pro as I'm a cheap B@St@rd but any competent after market solution will do just fine.

I'd like to talk to Rod about making the base manifold. Folks are throwing away the LT4 and old LSA blowers that will make plenty of spank

the LT5 does need some help for boosted operation, but now that we have these improved systems, and the DIS module is worth gold, the switch is going to be more affordable

I'd be able to sell the DIS, coil packs, and ign wiring and I think the good old ecotec COP drops right in. This needs to get done!!
I am running the MS3x on my 5.4 supercharged lightning motor with an adapter plate and gt 500 mustang s/c,. COP and sequential fuel. the lt5 s/c and belt system looks tempting but $$$$ probably be the hangup. There is a guy in Calif who makes the gt500 adapter. What I like about the lt5 s/c is its profile, it looks like it would require no hood changes. If you have the cad design for the base mfd it could be doable. If you are going to do mfd design do it for the gt500 s/c, I picked mine up for $450 as a take off for some guy doing a Shelby, they list the s/c on ebay from time to time.

Last edited by Tyler Townsley; 03-28-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:29 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
I am running the MS3x on my 5.4 supercharged lightning motor with an adapter plate and gt 500 mustang s/c,. COP and sequential fuel. the lt5 s/c and belt system looks tempting but $$$$ probably be the hangup. There is a guy in Calif who makes the gt500 adapter. What I like about the lt5 s/c is its profile, it looks like it would require no hood changes. If you have the cad design for the base mfd it could be doable. If you are going to do mfd design do it for the gt500 s/c, I picked mine up for $450 as a take off for some guy doing a Shelby, they list the s/c on ebay from time to time.
that's some cheap power

the ford mod motors respond really well to boost as do most Jon Kaase build some really cool long stroke small bore mod motors that put out great power despite the "bad" design of too long a stroke in too small a bore

Quick Reply: how many people here have a twin turbo zr1?