C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Where is the bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:29 PM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Look at 80s Porsches in comparison and it just makes no sense at all.

when I win the mega millions I'm going to start a ZR-1 crushing program until this is fixed. Or maybe a buy and race until destroyed one.
what about grand nationals ? saleens... e30 m3 and 88 m5s. anything aircooled. 308s, 328s. 4 eyed mustang gts.

hell, i am seeing 80's blazers and broncos in good condition sell for good money.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Grand Nationals or Saleen Mustangs didn't cost upwards of 72,000 dollars new....The ZR-1 new back in the 90s were geared for the select few who could afford them.....Something of un chartered territory for the standard Corvette buyer...

Most forum members who own ZR-1s are probably third or fourth owners like me who got the car at a decent price......The original owners are the ones who are taking a beating on this car right now if they need to sell...

So, if you are the majority just enjoy the car....Heck I paid less than 20K for my 91 back in 2014........When I'm done with my motor and drivetrain mods I will be in the car for another 11K.......Will I get this money back, ever? I don't think so and I take impeccable care of the car.....In the end though I will have a ZR-1 with over 500 horsepower to enjoy...

So for the third and fourth owners of ZR-1s your getting a lot of car for the money....
Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 PM
henryr
Racer

add broncos to the list......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371889005874...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-20-2017, 06:42 AM
VETROC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone that wants a clean ZR1 of any C4 vintage should get one very soon as there has already been an uptick in pricing for nice examples. I think people that wanted these cars in their teens are finally in a financial position to buy them and based on what they remember of the car, price, performance and how seeing one in the wild made them feel, the current prices are an absolute bargain. I have been looking and keeping track of pricing for years and finally pulled the trigger. What an amazing feeling to finally have one.
The following users liked this post:
5abivt (05-12-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 AM
AnthonyGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by VETROC
Anyone that wants a clean ZR1 of any C4 vintage should get one very soon as there has already been an uptick in pricing for nice examples. I think people that wanted these cars in their teens are finally in a financial position to buy them and based on what they remember of the car, price, performance and how seeing one in the wild made them feel, the current prices are an absolute bargain. I have been looking and keeping track of pricing for years and finally pulled the trigger. What an amazing feeling to finally have one.

I hope you are right. It's not that I plan on selling mine; I'm definitely leaving it to my kids, but dang. When compared to other cool cars of the period, pricing makes almost zero sense. Porsche 928s with over 100k miles fetch more than ZR-1s with 20k. The performance gap between the two is canyonesque. I regret to this day not stretching to buy a Ferrari 308 when I was in the Navy and they were under 30k. I'd have made a killing on it.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by VETROC
I have observed the exact same trend.
Have been an owner since 92, the tim is now

Marty
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
henryr
Racer

i think more people need to drive them....

i am still amazed at the power this car has for 26 yrs old.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

to answer the OPs question I think we've seen the bottom at 16K for high miler cars which is a pure smokin deal as these cars will pull some miles and not really sweat it much.

Lots of "deals" are in poor condition and not worth the $ as the car is worth more in parts than trying to restore.

There are quite a few ZR-1 and many were "treated only with diapers" and not driven much as the speculators thought L88. Maybe when we see a few more years on the car.

C4s were not that popular as the c5 nudged up in performance and down in price.

The ZR-1 when driven right will still pull most up top. Cross over though is around 100 due to gearing.

405 hp in a c5 is still a bit quicker due to the lighter weight and suspension design, LT5 rules on the big end.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:58 AM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Many reasons why these cars have tanked is because nobody talks about them and many know little or nothing about it. I was lucky enough to grow up when these cars came out and my father had afew different ones, if not for that I might have no idea about it or how special the lineage of the ZR-1 and LT5 really are. My other big issue besides the way mainsteam looks at C4's is the cost to build one, for half of what I put into my LT5 i could have a 1000hp LS something or other, the car world is not surrounded by shear enthusiasts any longer, it's all about whats new and six moths later it isn't worth spit to anyone. Great example is my '15 Z28, 78.000 for this car it now has 3,000 miles on it, plastic is still on the floors from factory and it won't sell for 55,000. Look how bad the c6 Zr-1's have tanked only thing that has saved it is the C7 Zo6 was kind of a flop. I think the buying nature of the consumer is the worst enemy to any special car that has come out in the last 20-25 years.
The following users liked this post:
5abivt (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:06 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by combatdoc
Many reasons why these cars have tanked is because nobody talks about them and many know little or nothing about it. I was lucky enough to grow up when these cars came out and my father had afew different ones, if not for that I might have no idea about it or how special the lineage of the ZR-1 and LT5 really are. My other big issue besides the way mainsteam looks at C4's is the cost to build one, for half of what I put into my LT5 i could have a 1000hp LS something or other, the car world is not surrounded by shear enthusiasts any longer, it's all about whats new and six moths later it isn't worth spit to anyone. Great example is my '15 Z28, 78.000 for this car it now has 3,000 miles on it, plastic is still on the floors from factory and it won't sell for 55,000. Look how bad the c6 Zr-1's have tanked only thing that has saved it is the C7 Zo6 was kind of a flop. I think the buying nature of the consumer is the worst enemy to any special car that has come out in the last 20-25 years.

Excellent excellent point......I'm 53 and consider myself somewhat an enthusiast when it comes to Corvettes....A lot of mainstream America especially the younger crowd wants something with the latest technology, and in today's world it's attainable...

Vettes from the early 70s to early 80s suffered with poor performance...That's an entire decade.....Look how far horsepower has come in the last ten years......--Corvettes with monster horsepower out of the box and the latest technology....

I had a chance to drive a 15 corvette at Ron Fellows school in early March for three days........Its a great great car.....So when you think about it, maybe the C-4 ZR-1 hasn't really tanked in value.....I mean it has,but like you said the C-6 ZR-1 is attainable right now in the high 50s to mid 60s....That car was 110,000 dollars or maybe even more when it came out..

This is just mainstream America today...I personally liked it better when we actually talked to one another, not through a phone or a frigin text..

Peace....

Quick Reply: Where is the bottom?