C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Insurance value

Old 04-25-2017, 04:14 PM
garyguinn
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Insurance value

Hi all,
just an opinion question..
I currently have my 92 ZR-1
covered for $20k declared value.

She is a documented Callaway Supernatural 475..

any opinions on whether I should raise this declared value for
insurance purposes?

thanks in advance,
Gary

Old 04-25-2017, 05:49 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

I would....I have my 91 Z insured for 23,000......I'm sure you will no problem doing that...
Old 04-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Diesel_Jerry
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would use the average price of three similar vehicles, minus a deductible you are comfortable with. Re-evaluate every year when the premium is due.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:49 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I would approach the question differently.
If your car was declared a total loss, and you called me looking for a vehicle as close to yours as possible, there is no way that I would be able to find you a comparably modded vehicle of Callaway origin in the low to mid twenties.
That tells me that you are underinsured.
A genuine Callaway, Doug Rippie, or Lingenfleter car that was modded by them would be very difficult to replace under $30,000.00 or even more.
Why gamble?
The coverage is certainly inexpensive if a Collector Policy, so why not make sure that you are carrying enough to replace your car in the event of a total loss.

Marty
The following 2 users liked this post by DRM500RUBYZR-1:
1971 Judge (05-07-2017), garyguinn (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:14 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

I had my 95 ZR-1 insured for an Agreed Value of $50,000. Some companies will do this--it is really just an actuarial calculation. The likelihood of a total loss for me is quite low, so it would depend on your own insurance situation. --Bob
The following users liked this post:
garyguinn (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM
garyguinn
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
If your car was declared a total loss, and you called me looking for a vehicle as close to yours as possible, there is no way that I would be able to find you a comparably modded vehicle of Callaway origin in the low to mid twenties.
A genuine Callaway, Doug Rippie, or Lingenfleter car that was modded by them would be very difficult to replace under $30,000.00 or even more.
Why gamble?
The coverage is certainly inexpensive if a Collector Policy, so why not make sure that you are carrying enough to replace your car in the event of a total loss.

Marty
thanks Marty!
Insurance replacement value updated today!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:40 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

I've had classic insurance for over 15 years now......Has anyone ever had there auto classified as a total loss ? Meaning ,stolen or involved in an accident or flood damage?

I never really asked my insurance company (northeast classic) what are the parameters if any if the vehicle was ever stolen? Some say the car has to be stolen from your garage, or maybe that is an old wives tale so to speak..I'm sure it is.....

An accident while driving and the auto suffers immense damage I'm guessing is something different than if the vehicle was stolen....

Anybody ever have there classic auto stolen? If so, did insurance company pay the agreed value...???
Old 04-26-2017, 04:38 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
I had my 95 ZR-1 insured for an Agreed Value of $50,000. Some companies will do this--it is really just an actuarial calculation. The likelihood of a total loss for me is quite low, so it would depend on your own insurance situation. --Bob
Bob,
You and I like the same round number!
That was where I started, and it goes up by an automatic percentage each year.
I sleep much better knowing that my cars are insured more in line with replacement cost, and yes, I have never had a company balk at those amounts.

Marty
Old 04-26-2017, 04:39 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by garyguinn
thanks Marty!
Insurance replacement value updated today!
Gary,
Good job!
Well worth it!

Marty
Old 04-26-2017, 04:44 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zrc3john
I've had classic insurance for over 15 years now......Has anyone ever had there auto classified as a total loss ? Meaning ,stolen or involved in an accident or flood damage?

I never really asked my insurance company (northeast classic) what are the parameters if any if the vehicle was ever stolen? Some say the car has to be stolen from your garage, or maybe that is an old wives tale so to speak..I'm sure it is.....

An accident while driving and the auto suffers immense damage I'm guessing is something different than if the vehicle was stolen....

Anybody ever have there classic auto stolen? If so, did insurance company pay the agreed value...???
John,
Not my personal cars, but I have had at least three customers suffer complete losses, two in the same fire at a garage, and the third in an accident with a fully restored car that unfortunately was under-insured.
One of the advantages to a stated and or agreed value policy is that it should enable you to insure it at or near true replacement value.
Most owners drastically underestimate what it can cost today to repair one of these beautiful older Corvettes.

Marty
Old 04-28-2017, 12:02 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Bob,
You and I like the same round number!
That was where I started, and it goes up by an automatic percentage each year.
I sleep much better knowing that my cars are insured more in line with replacement cost, and yes, I have never had a company balk at those amounts.

Marty
I also slept better knowing that my cars were more closely valued to replacement cost. But my policy values did not go up automatically. After I sold the ZR-1, I insured the Z06 for its MSRP as an agreed value. Also had two BMWs (2010 and 2014) covered at Agreed Values. But come to find out that the insurance company (subsidiary of Nationwide) can change the "agreed" value without my "agreement" or even a notice after one year and they dropped my values between 20% and 60%. I was really annoyed; I had switched to them only because of their agreed value approach. I look at it as a bait and switch approach and I will now be looking for a new insurance company. (Have any suggestions?) My agent suggested their replacement cost rider (usually applicable for the first 3 years of a car's life) but when I looked at it, exclusions cancelled the coverage for fire, theft and flood, probably the only three circumstances that I would experience a total loss and still be alive to care about it. What a joke. Anyway, I have seen companies with more reasonable and realistic replacement cost riders and will be looking at them sometime soon. --Bob
Old 04-28-2017, 06:02 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Most owners drastically underestimate what it can cost today to repair one of these beautiful older Corvettes.
x2

Some are just plain cheap
Buy nice car sink tons into it then buy a cheapo policy. Just plain stupid
Old 04-28-2017, 09:00 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
I also slept better knowing that my cars were more closely valued to replacement cost. But my policy values did not go up automatically. After I sold the ZR-1, I insured the Z06 for its MSRP as an agreed value. Also had two BMWs (2010 and 2014) covered at Agreed Values. But come to find out that the insurance company (subsidiary of Nationwide) can change the "agreed" value without my "agreement" or even a notice after one year and they dropped my values between 20% and 60%. I was really annoyed; I had switched to them only because of their agreed value approach. I look at it as a bait and switch approach and I will now be looking for a new insurance company. (Have any suggestions?) My agent suggested their replacement cost rider (usually applicable for the first 3 years of a car's life) but when I looked at it, exclusions cancelled the coverage for fire, theft and flood, probably the only three circumstances that I would experience a total loss and still be alive to care about it. What a joke. Anyway, I have seen companies with more reasonable and realistic replacement cost riders and will be looking at them sometime soon. --Bob
Bob,
reach out to Adam or Bobbie Jo at the National Corvette Museum Insurance Company.
They are the absolute best, they will take great care of you, and you are supporting the museum!
I could not be more pleased with them.
Let me know how you make out!

Marty
Old 04-28-2017, 09:52 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 642 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've got my 91 @ agreed value of $40,000.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:47 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Bob,
reach out to Adam or Bobbie Jo at the National Corvette Museum Insurance Company.
They are the absolute best, they will take great care of you, and you are supporting the museum!
I could not be more pleased with them.
Let me know how you make out!

Marty
Thanks Marty--I will do that. good idea. I currently do all my insurance with the same company (and have always done so for the discount usually afforded do this). I suppose I should see what carving the cars out would do. --Bob
Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 PM
1971 Judge
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Why gamble?

Marty
Words of Wisdom!

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance value

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Insurance value