C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

carfax question about my 1993 Yellow ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:09 PM
brodykelly
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default carfax question about my 1993 Yellow ZR-1

Got a question for anyone who might have had the same problem, I tried trading in my 1993 #273 Comp. Yellow ZR-1 in yesterday on a 2006 Lingenfelter ZO6. The Chevy dealership ran a carfax on my Z and it came back with an accident reported claim in Massachusetts in 2008. Problem is I live in Danville, Il and bought the car in fall of 2005 and it has been in Illinois ever since. I did buy it from Pete who lived in Massachusetts. Beings it has an accident on the report they didn't give me as good of a value. How could there be a claim on my car in 2008 in Mass. if I owned it since 2005 and live in Illinois?? Any ideas on where to begin to correct this? Anyone know how to contact Pete, I can't remember his last name at the moment but a lot of people on here know him?? zr1yellow273 was his username, maybe he knows what this is about. Any input appreciated....thanks Brody P.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:20 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by brodykelly
Got a question for anyone who might have had the same problem, I tried trading in my 1993 #273 Comp. Yellow ZR-1 in yesterday on a 2006 Lingenfelter ZO6. The Chevy dealership ran a carfax on my Z and it came back with an accident reported claim in Massachusetts in 2008. Problem is I live in Danville, Il and bought the car in fall of 2005 and it has been in Illinois ever since. I did buy it from Pete who lived in Massachusetts. Beings it has an accident on the report they didn't give me as good of a value. How could there be a claim on my car in 2008 in Mass. if I owned it since 2005 and live in Illinois?? Any ideas on where to begin to correct this? Anyone know how to contact Pete, I can't remember his last name at the moment but a lot of people on here know him?? zr1yellow273 was his username, maybe he knows what this is about. Any input appreciated....thanks Brody P.
It looks like you registered the car in 11/06 -mileage was noted as EXEMPT(makes sense car over 10 years old) - mileage on the '08 crash?

In '05 MA has documented it looks like 34,701

Take the issue directly to CarFax for the dispute.

Did the dealer hand you the CarFax?

Maybe you spend a few $$'s and run one of the "other" reporting services that are promoted by NMVTIS

https://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvti...lehistory.html

Your DMV might be able to do the VIN through their NMVTIS and disclose where/who initiated the documentation you say CarFax displays.

***Did MA maybe start reporting DATA in '08 to NMVTIS and since the accident was in the MA DMV "database" it picked up the report and it got posted and recorded as the "inception" date of their reporting.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-23-2017 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
brodykelly (05-29-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 06:45 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

See if there;s a crash report number associated with the accident listed on the carfax. There should be one, even if it were a private property accident. Once you have that number, call the police department that took the report and ask for a copy of the report. Its public record so you should have no trouble obtaining the report. Then look the report over and see if it is in fact your car or if the reporting agency fat fingered the vin number and it just so happens that the mistake they made in the vin belongs to your car.
brodykelly (05-29-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:59 AM
brodykelly
Racer

thanks for the replies. Yes the chevy dealership handed me the carfax. There was no mileage noted where it stated it was in an accident. I couldn't remember if I obtained the car in 05 or 06 thanks for clarifying for me. I guess I'll start with getting ahold of carfax. thanks again!!

Last edited by brodykelly; 05-24-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:19 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

thanks for the replies. Yes the chevy dealership handed me the carfax. There was no mileage noted where it stated it was in an accident. I couldn't remember if I obtained the car in 05 or 06 thanks for clarifying for me. I guess I'll start with getting ahold of carfax. thanks again!!
Since you've a dispute maybe a visit to your DMV with the CarFax and a request for verification could be initiated by IL DMV. Costs nothing to ask and I'd think they could access all of the NMVTIS information including the "accident"!

Yours is a Canadian Export I believe. Correct?

The original "FOR SALE" thread?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-24-2017 at 08:27 AM.
brodykelly (05-29-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

While all of the other suggestions are very good, why not go directly to Carfax.
They have an online form for dispute.
It is not at all unusual for a car to have an out of state accident. Happens all of the time.
However, just let them know, that since owned by you, it has never visited Mass.
They may just delete it.
If not, be nice, be firm, be persistent, and ask them how to go about getting it resolved.
I have found them to be rather helpful!
Good luck!!!

Marty
brodykelly (05-29-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
While all of the other suggestions are very good, why not go directly to Carfax.
They have an online form for dispute.
It is not at all unusual for a car to have an out of state accident. Happens all of the time.
However, just let them know, that since owned by you, it has never visited Mass.
They may just delete it.
If not, be nice, be firm, be persistent, and ask them how to go about getting it resolved.
I have found them to be rather helpful!
Good luck!!!

Marty
I believe in post# 2 I mentioned the dispute and direct to CarFax. Everything else I thought would be maybe a "very interesting research project"! I still think so.

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
It looks like you registered the car in 11/06 -mileage was noted as EXEMPT(makes sense car over 10 years old) - mileage on the '08 crash?

In '05 MA has documented it looks like 34,701

Take the issue directly to CarFax for the dispute.
brodykelly (05-29-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:31 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe in post# 2 I mentioned the dispute and direct to CarFax. Everything else I thought would be maybe a "very interesting research project"! I still think so.
Great minds think alike!

Marty
brodykelly (05-29-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:14 PM
brodykelly
Racer

WVZR1 you are correct, that is the original ad for the car I purchased from Pete! I am going to start with Carfax and then go to my DMV. Again thanks for the suggestions....anyone know how to get ahold of Pete by chance?? Brody P.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:05 AM
brodykelly
Racer

I have filled out the necessary online forms with CarFax and will wait to hear back from them, thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I hope to get this cleared up, I'm really wanting to get that Lingenfelter ZO6!! brody p.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 AM
brodykelly
Racer

Well that didn't take long!!!!!! My CarFax issue has been resolved, it was a clerical error on there end and they issued me my new accident free report!! Thanks again fro the help guys.....now maybe I can get a better trade in and get the Lingenfelter ZO6.....fingers crossed!! brody p.
LT5corsa (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:04 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Well that didn't take long!!!!!! My CarFax issue has been resolved, it was a clerical error on there end and they issued me my new accident free report!! Thanks again fro the help guys.....now maybe I can get a better trade in and get the Lingenfelter ZO6.....fingers crossed!! brody p.
Great!!!
Nice to hear they were as responsive as hoped.
Not all errors are as easily resolved as yours, but over the years their resolution process has proven fair and speedy.

Car Check, a division of Equifax, is the other big player, and also seems to be responsive when contacted.

Those "incidents" have a very serious effect on wholesale values!
Hopefully you are now in business!
Let us know how you make out!

Marty
The following 2 users liked this post by DRM500RUBYZR-1:
brodykelly (05-29-2017), LT5corsa (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:55 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Well that didn't take long!!!!!! My CarFax issue has been resolved, it was a clerical error on there end and they issued me my new accident free report!!

Thanks for the follow up.

People should realize that there are errors on carfax. Several of my cars over the years have had incorrect entries. Regardless, I'm glad this got taken care of for you
brodykelly (05-29-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 08:04 AM
brodykelly
Racer

The dealership that I was trying to deal with on the ZO6, openly admitted they had no idea what a 90-95 ZR-1 is and had no idea on what to offer me on trade in, so no deal will be made by trading in my yellow Z. I might try to sell it outright now....not sure yet. Thanks for the replies everyone!! brody p.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:01 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

The dealership that I was trying to deal with on the ZO6, openly admitted they had no idea what a 90-95 ZR-1 is and had no idea on what to offer me on trade in, so no deal will be made by trading in my yellow Z. I might try to sell it outright now....not sure yet. Thanks for the replies everyone!! brody p.
Now you've a "FREE CARFAX" for the sale of the car!! The dealer did you a favor! I couldn't understand your interest in "trading" but I understood why you might have asked the dealer to consider.

Does the correction appear as an edit/correction OR it just doesn't exist now? I don't know that I trust any of those a$$hats. I'd have it run again in 90 or so days.

Make the dealer a "ridiculous offer" and see if they bite!!! LOL

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-28-2017 at 09:02 AM.
brodykelly (05-29-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 11:46 AM
brodykelly
Racer

it just doesn't exist on the Carfax at all now, for some reason 2yrs after I bought my Z from Peter Bernard he got in an accident in what ever vehicle he had at the time and when it was reported it went to my new Z, his old Z's VIN. Not sure how that happens but they checked that I had it registered in Illinois every year since 2006 and that it couldn't possibly be my car beings it was not registered in Massachusetts. As far as me trading in my Z on their Z, I don't like the hassle of running ads on the net, I'm terrible at computers and would never be able to get pics posted on here nor could I figure out how to do an eBay ad. I don't even know what a 1993 competition yellow [1 of 13] ZR-1 w 50k miles is worth, it's 100% original paint/interior with 410s, SW headers, Logans chambered exhaust, short throw Hurst, Haibeck chip/tune, new clutch assembly from Jim, new powder coated engine, SGC ported intake/heads, Fikse FM5's, Michelin pilots, Canadian car, all paperwork since new, both tops, anodized drilled/slotted rotors, orig ZR-1 air blaster air filter intake, plus multiple unused NOS parts- rear goodyear eagles, all emblems, oil pan, ported intake, gaskets, oil filters, also used rear bumper, 2 rear Fikse FM5's, A-mold rear Mickey Thompson drag radials, this is just what I can remember off hand. I even have the Original 1990's ZR-1 red/white/blue leather jacket that was available when these cars came out. Any suggestions on what it should bring?? brody p.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:19 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good luck with the sale, I will be interested in watching your sale as I also have one of the 93 Yellow ZR-1s.
brodykelly (05-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To carfax question about my 1993 Yellow ZR-1

Quick Reply: carfax question about my 1993 Yellow ZR-1