C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

1990 ZR-1 Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:29 PM
JMLonigro
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 ZR-1 Service Engine Soon Light

A few months ago I ran the car out of gas (I totally forgot the previous owner told me not to let it go below half tank on the gauge)..after that the serpentine belt snapped (water pump pulley lost some bolts)...got a new serpentine belt, new bolts on the pulley and a new oil pressure sensor..refilled all the coolant as I had to remove the upper hoses to replace the pulley bolts...everything seemed fine..

Ever since these events, the car seems to be running fine, but I get a Service engine light after running the car for about 5 minutes. The light goes out when I restart the car, but after 5 minutes, it comes on again.

I haven't had the engine code read yet, but any thoughts on what could be causing this issue?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:07 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Until you pull the codes, anything is a wild guess.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:17 AM
Rwp315
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLonigro
A few months ago I ran the car out of gas (I totally forgot the previous owner told me not to let it go below half tank on the gauge)..after that the serpentine belt snapped (water pump pulley lost some bolts)...got a new serpentine belt, new bolts on the pulley and a new oil pressure sensor..refilled all the coolant as I had to remove the upper hoses to replace the pulley bolts...everything seemed fine..

Ever since these events, the car seems to be running fine, but I get a Service engine light after running the car for about 5 minutes. The light goes out when I restart the car, but after 5 minutes, it comes on again.

I haven't had the engine code read yet, but any thoughts on what could be causing this issue?

Check out the June '17 issue of Corvette Magazine. They have a few historical maintenance items listed for the 90-95 ZR1's.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'd disconnect the battery and try and reset the code but as stated,until you pull the codes anythings possible.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 ZR-1 Service Engine Soon Light

Quick Reply: 1990 ZR-1 Service Engine Soon Light