C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

key switch issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:31 PM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default key switch issues

went to start the car today and couldn't turn the key .fiddled with it for 10 min then it turned . so I am afraid to turn it all the way to lock so I just leave the key in it ffor now and turn the switch too off . what is involved to put a new one in her and where is the best place to get a new one ?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:25 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm not sure if our cars have that steering wheel lock, but if they do, all you need to do is pull on or rock the steering wheel back and forth to unlock the key motion

Last edited by ZR-71; 07-12-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:33 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by oldpro
went to start the car today and couldn't turn the key .fiddled with it for 10 min then it turned . so I am afraid to turn it all the way to lock so I just leave the key in it ffor now and turn the switch too off . what is involved to put a new one in her and where is the best place to get a new one ?
Before you do that, do take your key out and try putting some lubricant in the cylinder.

You lightly (lightly) coat your key with WD40 and first put it in the tumbler, in and out a couple of times--- you do NOT want drips in your cylinder.

After you have done that (and keeping the key lightly lubed) turn the key forward gently. Move the key back and forth slightly to allow it to "find its own way." Lightly lube and do that a couple of times; in, out-forward, back.

You should be good.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 PM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thanx a bunch for the suggestions I will give them a try and report back
Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

All GM/saginaw tilt wheels are very similar. there are some good online how-to's on steering column work. Basically, you will need to pull the air bag and then use one of those classic steering wheel pullers. then take out turn signal assembly you will be right in the thick of it and the lock cylinder will be easy to get at.

on edit- the turn signal cancel cam will probably disintegrate in your hand, but every neighborhood parts store has one in the 'help' section of common special replacement parts.

Last edited by mike100; 07-12-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To key switch issues

Quick Reply: key switch issues