C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Euro/Amber Taillight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Arctic91
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Euro/Amber Taillight Conversion

Here's my other big issue right now... also posted on ZR-1 Net Registry.

I may be transferred overseas this summer (totally not expecting to move again for a couple years, but that's the way of the military). Luckily, it's Australia not Afghanistan. Looking at the motor vehicle code, I need to have at least one red stoplamp and one amber turn signal on each side of the rear. I see two options:

1. Get the bubble lens kit that attaches over the OEM lenses with acrylic tape ($60 from Eckler's). I'm not sure if I can simply slap these on and meet the code or if I need to modify the wiring so that the amber lamp doesn't come on when the lights are on andwhen braking - only when indicating a turn.

2. Perform the full euro conversion on at least two of the lamps and modify the harness ($109 per lamp and $179 for the conversion harness from Eckler's). This would also involve a little cutting and splicing.

Anyone have experience with either of these products, especially our friends overseas? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Vette Guy
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott,

I converted my ZR-1 to euro lights about 6 years ago - I love the look! The conversion is relatively easy, but requires a second wiring harness and a bit of rewiring of your existing brake wiring. Nothing too challenging and will take you about an hour or so to do. I never thought about needing them to PCS overseas, but I'm ready!

If you go the euro taillight way, let me know and I'll guide you through the process.

Best Regards,

Mark

Old 02-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Arctic91
Racer

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Thanks!!

I'm definately going to need to go with the same lights that you have on yours... the 3/4 red, 1/4 amber style.

Sounds like you bought the conversion harness as well - I'd heard that it wasn't worth the money (basically some wire and connectors) and that I could go without. Did you find it worth the investment?

Also, do you know if the system requires all four tails to be replaced, or can you just replace the outer two (not sure what that may look like though). I'll probably want to return the car to stock after I get back to the states - so this is just a temp alteration so I can get past the Aus inspection process.

When I'm ready to install, I'll PM you and see if you can give me some guidance!!

Scott
Old 02-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Vette Guy
Instructor

Scott,

I bought a regular tail light harness off of eBay and modified it. You can use only 2 or 4 euro lights, but I believe the Austrailian vettes use the outer amber lenses as I see in my good friend John Magyar's ZR-1 from Australia. I didn't think of it earlier, but I believe Austrailia banned left-handed drive cars for everyday use. They only issue some sort of event pass to travel to shows. I may be wrong, but it is something you should check into.

Mark

Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Silverrod
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Taillights

Love those amber onlys on the Aussie Vet! I had the old round ones my '89. I have never seen them in the rectangular style for newer C4's. I have a '96 Collector’s Edition roadster, where can I get the ambers only? Your right the wiring was a little tricky, I talked with Gordon, back in the day, and he told me how to mod the wiring.

Thanks!

Roger
Old 03-01-2008, 05:29 PM
hotlt4
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Euro taillights

Originally Posted by Vette Guy
Scott,

I converted my ZR-1 to euro lights about 6 years ago - I love the look! The conversion is relatively easy, but requires a second wiring harness and a bit of rewiring of your existing brake wiring. Nothing too challenging and will take you about an hour or so to do. I never thought about needing them to PCS overseas, but I'm ready!

If you go the euro taillight way, let me know and I'll guide you through the process.

Best Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,
I live in Norway, and just bought a 1991 Coupe from USA. We need to do this conversion to get the car road legal, so here is:

As from what I can see, you may have some additional info regarding the euro tailights. I have just purchased a kit, with all four euro style lights as yours, but have a slight problem. When it comes to the installation instructions, I may think that there is a point missing there. I did the connections just like it was told in the kit from Ecklers;

http://www.ecklers.com/assets/pdf/40372.pdf?

Everything works fine, except for the stop lights. Nothing happens! It says you should use all the parts in the kit, but there is one short wire left when I'm done. I know it is probably an easy solution, as when I reconnect the white wire under the dash, the amber lights works as stop light!?!?
Do you know where the problem might be?

Robert
Old 03-01-2008, 06:06 PM
IowaZR1
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 38 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Robert, I think your problem might be in steps 8 and 9 on the Eckler instructions. I'm getting ready to convert my ZR-1 over to Euro light and have looked over the instructions. Step 8 you take the yellow, green from the original wire harness (lamp ends)and one end of the red jumper wire and place them in the 3M connector. Then step 9 cut the blue wire, then take both blue wires and the other end of the red wire into another 3M connector. The intructions are not real clear on this. Hope this helps.

Last edited by IowaZR1; 03-01-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

This is totally off topic, but Mark/Vette Guy, you've got the best looking LT5 plenum I have ever freaking seen! I'm saving up for a powder coating in the future, but after I've seen yours, it looks like I'm going to have to save up a little more!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Scott,

I bought a regular tail light harness off of eBay and modified it. You can use only 2 or 4 euro lights, but I believe the Austrailian vettes use the outer amber lenses as I see in my good friend John Magyar's ZR-1 from Australia. I didn't think of it earlier, but I believe Austrailia banned left-handed drive cars for everyday use. They only issue some sort of event pass to travel to shows. I may be wrong, but it is something you should check into.

Mark

Yeah the lights are going to be the least of your problem. I recall someone In Australia that bought a US ZR-1 and had to convert to RH drive. I think it cost him like $15K.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Mark

I own number #2014 it appears yours was just two down the line from mine. GC
Old 03-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Vette Guy
Instructor

...Thanks for all the great comments! ...and yes, I've been tracking #2014 on the registry, and looking for #2015. I'm the guy who runs the registry tracking for the ZR-1 Net Registry... Have been building the list of ZR-1s since 2002.

As for the tail lights, I made my own harness and can't track what each of Eckler's colored wires do. I believe the Eckler's harness was not made for the ZR-1, rather for a regular vette with the third brake light also located in the bumper, and power wire contained in the rear harness. Not to worry.

By cutting the white wire under the dash (and I did not cut mine, rather disconnected the white wire from the brake switch, in tact) you've removed the brake lights from receiving power from the brake switch. The third brake light also runs through this switch, but is on a separate circuit. The difference between the two circuits is that the 4 brake lights continue through a circuit that is interrupted by your turn signal blinker, whereas the third brake light receives constant 12v power when you depress the brake. The + side brake lights now needs to tap into the + side of the third brake light, which is not accommodated in the Eckler's harness. Your existing harness now powers only the turn signals. You will need to run a wire from the + side of the brake lights through the grommet around the existing harness, back into the rear compartment of the Z, and make the connection to the third brake light at the ABS pump, located behind the drivers seat. I'll try to get a photo of where I connected mine wire on here tomorrow.

Does this make sense.... please let me know, and if not, I'll try to put a schematic together for you.

Best Regards,

Mark
Old 03-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

[QUOTE=Vette Guy;1564351860]...Thanks for all the great comments! ...and yes, I've been tracking #2014 on the registry, and looking for #2015. I'm the guy who runs the registry tracking for the ZR-1 Net Registry... Have been building the list of ZR-1s since 2002.

So your that "vette guy"
Old 03-02-2008, 09:23 AM
IowaZR1
Racer

The only difference between a regular corvette and a ZR-1 rear wiring harness is the wiring needed to run the second fuel pump in the tank. If the light blue wire is not in the harness by the taillights you can find it at connector #427 in the right rear speaker area as this is the connector for the third brake light.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:30 AM
IowaZR1
Racer

Mark, Really like your plenum!! Did you do it yourself? Also would like to know more about your wheels and see some more pics.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Arctic91
Racer

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Mark,

If you can get some pictures or a diagram posted, I would greatly appreciate it... I haven't done the swap to the euro lights yet and would rather install the outer ambers to blend in more with the locals. I think that I can get them from some Australian sources. Also, I'd rather not cut the wiring if ther is a "cleaner" option out there.

Thanks!! Scott
Old 03-03-2008, 05:30 AM
hotlt4
Cruising

Originally Posted by IowaZR1
Robert, I think your problem might be in steps 8 and 9 on the Eckler instructions. I'm getting ready to convert my ZR-1 over to Euro light and have looked over the instructions. Step 8 you take the yellow, green from the original wire harness (lamp ends)and one end of the red jumper wire and place them in the 3M connector. Then step 9 cut the blue wire, then take both blue wires and the other end of the red wire into another 3M connector. The intructions are not real clear on this. Hope this helps.
I did all that the first time, but no good! No problem with understanding that part, as I used a cable lug instead of the red wire, but that should be the exact same thing... The thing is, there is still one jumper cable left in the kit, and the instructions clearly said that there will be no parts left...?!? Not sure if the blue wire is the feed for the third (center) brake light? If so, that should be correct.... Have to take another look into this.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:13 AM
hotlt4
Cruising

...Thanks for all the great comments! ...and yes, I've been tracking #2014 on the registry, and looking for #2015. I'm the guy who runs the registry tracking for the ZR-1 Net Registry... Have been building the list of ZR-1s since 2002.

As for the tail lights, I made my own harness and can't track what each of Eckler's colored wires do. I believe the Eckler's harness was not made for the ZR-1, rather for a regular vette with the third brake light also located in the bumper, and power wire contained in the rear harness. Not to worry.

By cutting the white wire under the dash (and I did not cut mine, rather disconnected the white wire from the brake switch, in tact) you've removed the brake lights from receiving power from the brake switch. The third brake light also runs through this switch, but is on a separate circuit. The difference between the two circuits is that the 4 brake lights continue through a circuit that is interrupted by your turn signal blinker, whereas the third brake light receives constant 12v power when you depress the brake. The + side brake lights now needs to tap into the + side of the third brake light, which is not accommodated in the Eckler's harness. Your existing harness now powers only the turn signals. You will need to run a wire from the + side of the brake lights through the grommet around the existing harness, back into the rear compartment of the Z, and make the connection to the third brake light at the ABS pump, located behind the drivers seat. I'll try to get a photo of where I connected mine wire on here tomorrow.

Does this make sense.... please let me know, and if not, I'll try to put a schematic together for you.

Best Regards,

Mark
Just for clearification, mine is a regular Coupe, not a ZR1. So that should leave it more simple to get to the third brake light +side. Haven't checked yet, but I think, when I looked at the schematics, that the blue wire was the + for the third light?

I didn't cut the white wire either, but did like you and disconnected it. Seams like "cut and forget" is more like some backyard rigging, if you ask me. I soldered all the connections too...leaving the 3M connectors alone! But there is still this one jumper cable left in the kit, and, like said before, there should be no parts left when you where done..!?!? This according to Eckler's. Makes sence though, as it doesn't work when the instructions are followed step by step. And yes, I did read the instructions several times....

Best regards,
Robert

Get notified of new replies

To Euro/Amber Taillight Conversion

Old 03-03-2008, 09:21 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I'd love to add these lenses to my USA C4. Never seen them come up for sale though. Any help?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:33 PM
IowaZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by 96LT4
I'd love to add these lenses to my USA C4. Never seen them come up for sale though. Any help?
Which lenses? the red over amber or the solid amber?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:48 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by IowaZR1
Which lenses? the red over amber or the solid amber?
I like the red over amber.

Quick Reply: Euro/Amber Taillight Conversion