C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

368 or 402 For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:34 AM
SORCDRIVER1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 368 or 402 For Sale

I am offering my 1990 415 ZR-1 for sale. The car is currently at Marc Haibeck's shop undergoing a complete engine rebuild. During the course of crank polishing it was found that the stroker crank has a crack in it. I am faced with replacing the crank with a stock crank for 368 displacement or 402 stroker crank. The stroker crank is 10 times the cost of the stock crank. So, I am offering the car on pre-sale basis so that any potential buyer can select which new engine they would prefer. The car currently holds the record for the non-boosted Street Class of the Sandhills Open Road Challenge One Mile Shootout at 185.3 MPH. I am making a list of all the upgrades which I will add to this thread once I complete the list. For the 368 I want $25,000 and the 402 $29,000. Interested parties can call me at 308-530-5734.

Joe Shown
Stapleton, NE
Old 08-21-2017, 11:47 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey Joe - if you're gonna do a stroker crank, why not do the 415? You've got everything to go with it. Costs the same as a 402 crank. Just sayin'! Good luck with the Pineapple Express!
Old 08-21-2017, 01:02 PM
SORCDRIVER1
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Hey Joe - if you're gonna do a stroker crank, why not do the 415? You've got everything to go with it. Costs the same as a 402 crank. Just sayin'! Good luck with the Pineapple Express!
Hi Doc,

Time is the factor as the 402 crank is readily available. A 415 crank would not be available for a couple of months. I don't think Marc wants my car taking up space for that long.

Joe
Old 08-21-2017, 04:21 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SORCDRIVER1
Hi Doc,

Time is the factor as the 402 crank is readily available. A 415 crank would not be available for a couple of months. I don't think Marc wants my car taking up space for that long.

Joe
Fair enough! She's such a beautiful car. If you who are viewing this thread want a seriously well put together stroker, pay Joe some $$$ and you'll get the best Marc Haibeck can do. That car is gorgeous and more than able to play with the new stuff toe to toe!

Post up some pics Joe! Let's see that yellow bitch!
Old 08-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default lil thumper

the big arm cranks are made out of unobtanium and priced accordingly

here is what I would do

offset a stock crank, slide in some big aes liners for a closed deck

put some small bearing really light ti rods and light pistons, alum flywheel, rev the snot out of it with stage III cams

you already have the porting done and it will feed a nice power band with the smaller displacement for an exciting ride

or better still, boost a muv and be done with it !!!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
the big arm cranks are made out of unobtanium and priced accordingly

here is what I would do

offset a stock crank, slide in some big aes liners for a closed deck

put some small bearing really light ti rods and light pistons, alum flywheel, rev the snot out of it with stage III cams

you already have the porting done and it will feed a nice power band with the smaller displacement for an exciting ride

or better still, boost a muv and be done with it !!!
I am with you on that, I did a 368 with forged pistons, oliver billit rods, big a** cams, lots of compression, and 150 shot on gas. I will say there is plenty of room for twins right off motified manifolds considering the size on the Cats on these cars, 9:1 368 with some 67's would be insaine to say the least. If I ever do another LT5 it will have twins on it, now with improved headgaskets and head bolts the LT5 could be very reliable with lots of boost. Just my 2 cents, either way good luck, long live the king.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:25 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

a modified set of 93 manifolds would be a good starting point

modern turbos are just nuts

there are some new liners coming that look even better than the AES

and I'm excited to hear about corey coming out with a raptor tt build

shucks, if I could find good rings, you really don't need to run the big liners with a TT and fresh pistons on a stock bore would be fine

the stock crank is pretty strong, and the dual injectors make it easier to get good flow with upgraded pumps

I like the idea of the raptor megasquirt and coil on plug to make the lt5 even better
The following users liked this post:
combatdoc (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 PM
SORCDRIVER1
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Fair enough! She's such a beautiful car. If you who are viewing this thread want a seriously well put together stroker, pay Joe some $$$ and you'll get the best Marc Haibeck can do. That car is gorgeous and more than able to play with the new stuff toe to toe!

Post up some pics Joe! Let's see that yellow bitch!
Thanks very much for the kind words Dwight. The car is no garage queen and does have a chip or scrape here and there but overall it is a beautiful car. I think some missed the point that I am not building the engine for me. Whatever a buyer wants is what they will get. Twin turbos are out of the question unless someone else wants to install them. I am sure that I am missing something but here is the list of upgrades:

Fully ported and polished heads, plenum, and i/housings
Line lock
Corsa exhaust
Stainless heat coated headers with heat wrap
Scatter blanket
Driveshaft hoop
Ram dual clutch and flywheel
3.73 gears
Roll cage (no side bars)
Will wood brakes

If someone wants to humble Vipers, C6 ZR1's this car as a 402 will eat them up. As a 415 the car posted speeds consistantanly in the 180's in one mile. Fastest Lingenfelter 710 was 8 MPH slower than my 185.3. I call it the "Killer" for good reason. No other natural aspirated car has come closer than 4 MPH in the SORC One Mile. If someone is wanting to build a big displacement LT5 this car would be a real bargain.

Joe
Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

for 25K as a Marc 368 is a STEAL, wont last long, 180 + @ mile, WOW!
Old 08-26-2017, 12:06 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Hi Joe--
Saw your car and dismantled engine at Marc's a few weeks ago when I was grabbing our regular lunch with him. Sorry you had the problem. For those not familiar with the car, it is a very well known ZR-1 and a great car--not a garage queen as Joe notes, but a very fast competitive Z. Not everyone's cup of tea--it won't win any NCRS competitions (but neither would either of mine)--but a heck of a car. Sounds like a great value with either engine sleection. Got any pics to post? --Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 08-26-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:35 AM
SORCDRIVER1
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
Hi Joe--
Saw your car and dismantled engine at Marc's a few weeks ago when I was grabbing our regular lunch with him. Sorry you had the problem. For those not familiar with the car, it is a very well known ZR-1 and a great car--not a garage queen as Joe notes, but a very fast competitive Z. Not everyone's cup of tea--it won't win any NCRS competitions (but neither would either of mine)--but a heck of a car. Sounds like a great value with either engine sleection. Got any pics to post? --Bob
Many thanks to all of the folks that have been supportive of my offer to sell the car. I decided to go with the 403 route in case I do not sell it. After having a big displacement LT5 it would be very hard to step down a rung on the performance ladder. I also have a C6 ZR1 and a couple of ultralight airplanes that are not used as much as I would like. Considering all of this I have reduced the price from $29,000 to $25,000. If I cant get that price I will keep the car. Have not spoke to Marc as to when the car will be done but I expect it should be done after the first of year as I told him I was in no hurry. If your looking for performance that can be driven anywhere and even gets great mileage (26 + MPG @80 MPH) this is the car.

Joe Shown

Get notified of new replies

To 368 or 402 For Sale

Quick Reply: 368 or 402 For Sale