C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Loud Squealing Sound following Coolant Leak- Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 PM
TealZR1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loud Squealing Sound following Coolant Leak- Help

I replaced the gasket where the TB meets the plenum and a problem occurred - Been that type of year with the 91 ZR1.
I sprang a coolant leak from the top of the TB at the plenum. Immediately a rather loud constant "squealing" noise happened and has not stopped. I thought it would rid/dry itself over time but no luck. Any ideas where below the TB this could be coming from. Pulleys/Belt or worse? BTW, I did fix the coolant leak.
I attached a short low res video to hear it. Please help! Thanks in advance!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...FKQWZpZ05VaERn

Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Probably got coolant on the serpentine belt. Cycle the a/c on and off, see if that makes a difference. If so the compressor pulley or clutch could be an issue. Tensioner pulley is another suspect. Sounds like a friends when the a/c compressor clutch went out.
H
The following users liked this post:
TealZR1 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:22 AM
mhobtr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you don't have a stethoscope, you can use a long handle screwdriver to find the problem by putting your ear on the handle and moving the tip from part to part.

Just be careful and don't stick it on any moving parts.
TealZR1 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 12:42 PM
TealZR1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks CCMANO - the ac cycles and works well but the loud squealing noise does remain constant with no change as I cycle the ac on and off.
Could I rule out the ac as the problem? Thanks
Old 09-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Just a guess here... it sounds like their is a lot of drag on the belt... the first place I would look ( the easiest ) would be the tensioner pulley bearing.

I don't know if you have driven it like this, however, i would look at the power steering unit... and... as has been suggested... use a stethoscope or whatever works as a probe to isolate components in the serpentine system.
TealZR1 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 03:15 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TealZR1
thanks CCMANO - the ac cycles and works well but the loud squealing noise does remain constant with no change as I cycle the ac on and off.
Could I rule out the ac as the problem? Thanks
Not completely, you ruled out the compressor and clutch but not the pulley and it's bearing. If you have a Harbor Freight near by get a cheap automotive stethoscope and listen to the various components. Most likely suspects are still the compressor pulley and the tensioner pulley bearings. Other suspects are the alternator and the power steering pump. Now that I'm thinking about it I'm aware of another Z where the alternator bearings went and had a similar sound.
H
TealZR1 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 06:46 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by TealZR1
Immediately a rather loud constant "squealing" noise happened and has not stopped. I thought it would rid/dry itself over time but no luck. Any ideas where below the TB this could be coming from. Pulleys/Belt or worse?
How much "time?" How much coolant did you loose?

If you had coolant sprayed all over your belts, pullies and spinning devises you could have gotten coolant in areas that it really didn't need to be.

First, I'd CAREFULLY wash down the front of your engine GENTLY spraying down the entire area as you want to wash off the coolant that will not evaporate and continue to act as a lubricant. You don't want ANY water around your plenum you just want to rinse the front of your engine. Don't soak your alternator.

When you restart you will continue to hear the crazy squeal. I bet as your engine warms and the water evaporates most of the squeal should dissipate. When you car is hot, you can let it sit and finish cooking.

If that does not work , you will need to take off your belt and hand spin your pullies until you find the problem.
TealZR1 (09-04-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Loud Squealing Sound following Coolant Leak- Help

Quick Reply: Loud Squealing Sound following Coolant Leak- Help