C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Wanna go fast

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 AM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Wanna go fast

1/2 mile event is upon us again in Texas, I am stoked about this year for sure. The ZR-1 has got some serious upgrades and is currently being finished, I can not wait to see what the monster is going to do in a half mile with all the extra power. Has anyone else in the country run their ZR-1 this year at any 1/2 events? I ran mine in stock form 2 years ago so I have a good baseline for stock vs. max effort (IMO). Been a long year burning money, waiting on parts, and dreams of grandure. If all goes right this car will break alot of hearts just like it did my wallet.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:01 AM
1LEZ
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
Default event

Originally Posted by combatdoc
1/2 mile event is upon us again in Texas, I am stoked about this year for sure. The ZR-1 has got some serious upgrades and is currently being finished, I can not wait to see what the monster is going to do in a half mile with all the extra power. Has anyone else in the country run their ZR-1 this year at any 1/2 events? I ran mine in stock form 2 years ago so I have a good baseline for stock vs. max effort (IMO). Been a long year burning money, waiting on parts, and dreams of grandure. If all goes right this car will break alot of hearts just like it did my wallet.
Where is this event held?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Don't forget to drive it by your LEO friend from a few years ago to show him how much faster it can go now!!!

Marty
Old 09-11-2017, 03:14 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Originally Posted by 1LEZ
Where is this event held?
Dallas Executive Airport. longer strip than last year, had two big horsepower cars crashed at the end last year due to short runway so they found a much longer one this year.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:19 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Don't forget to drive it by your LEO friend from a few years ago to show him how much faster it can go now!!!

Marty
I see no reason I wont smack around C7 Z06's even off the bottle. Another fella with a fast gen 2 Viper that comes every year will be seeing a different end of the ZR-1 also.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:00 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I see no reason I wont smack around C7 Z06's even off the bottle. Another fella with a fast gen 2 Viper that comes every year will be seeing a different end of the ZR-1 also.
​​​​​​what's your target speed Dan?

Steve
Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Love to hear how it all turns out
Old 09-20-2017, 03:43 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Originally Posted by jss06c6
​​​​​​what's your target speed Dan?

Steve
I think the E85 sippin LT5 sound be in high 150's/160's, That is what I am shooting for, but this is a totally new combination so no telling what the old girl will let out. I am gonna crank on it without nitrous, cutting it close on build do not have time to Iron that fire out in time. I assume with 150 shot on top of everything else it would put down silly numbers assuming it can hook. Regardless the car will be fast and it will hurt some feelings.

Last edited by combatdoc; 09-20-2017 at 03:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dominic Sorresso (09-22-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Love to hear how it all turns out
Ill be posting videos and give you guys the DL after all is said and done.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:00 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Ill be posting videos and give you guys the DL after all is said and done.
Please do!!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Dallas Executive Airport. longer strip than last year, had two big horsepower cars crashed at the end last year due to short runway so they found a much longer one this year.
What is the date? Is there a website?
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
What is the date? Is there a website?
November 11 & 12, wannagofast.com
Old 09-22-2017, 12:23 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

A number of us in the FBI group did the WGF event several years ago.
My 5.7L ported and cammed motor did 144mph. Pete did 154 in his lightened 5.7L. Al Dashto did 160 w his 441 and Kevin did 159 w his 441/auto.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:17 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
A number of us in the FBI group did the WGF event several years ago.
My 5.7L ported and cammed motor did 144mph. Pete did 154 in his lightened 5.7L. Al Dashto did 160 w his 441 and Kevin did 159 w his 441/auto.
I did 137/9mph in my stock 92 two years ago, I am assuming with the new build I should see high 150's with relative ease. I ran the car at this event, at 1/4 drag, and various roll races to have somewhat of a baseline before I decided to build the motor I did. Roll racing and long runs is what I engoy the most (LT5 as well), so I oriented the new LT5 and various other mods to support those ambitions, as the build gets closer I get more excited and nervous, which I am sure all or many of you have gone through, I just want to put the car back on the map on the street scene and at certain events. 1/2 mile will be it's first test. I am curious with the compression and cams how the car will act and there is not alot of e85 Zr-1's so somewhat of a learning curve is expected.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:06 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

I did 137/9mph in my stock 92 two years ago, I am assuming with the new build I should see high 150's with relative ease. I ran the car at this event, at 1/4 drag, and various roll races to have somewhat of a baseline before I decided to build the motor I did. Roll racing and long runs is what I engoy the most (LT5 as well), so I oriented the new LT5 and various other mods to support those ambitions, as the build gets closer I get more excited and nervous, which I am sure all or many of you have gone through, I just want to put the car back on the map on the street scene and at certain events. 1/2 mile will be it's first test. I am curious with the compression and cams how the car will act and there is not alot of e85 Zr-1's so somewhat of a learning curve is expected.
Who did the E85 conversion, Corey? Which ECM?
Old 09-23-2017, 02:18 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the E85 sippin LT5 sound be in high 150's/160's, That is what I am shooting for, but this is a totally new combination so no telling what the old girl will let out. I am gonna crank on it without nitrous, cutting it close on build do not have time to Iron that fire out in time. I assume with 150 shot on top of everything else it would put down silly numbers assuming it can hook. Regardless the car will be fast and it will hurt some feelings.
Impressive stuff! You've been working on this for a while. Wishing you the best and will be excited to see how she does!

Last edited by jss06c6; 09-23-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-24-2017, 10:43 AM
combatdoc
Pro

Car is at Coreys, I go down work on it when I have time and now more considering getting close to 1/2 mile event. I am really busy with cars and have less time than I would like to for ZR-1, I do not know enough about LT5 either, which is sad. stock system other than pumps, filter, and injectors for now, and by "now" I mean this winter greater development will be complete. I have been working on a custom set of fuel rails in mastercam. With lots of compression, lots of porting, and big cams the car is likely gonna need a larger fuel tank or i'll be carrying a can when we go race in Mexico. I expect around 9-12 MPG at best; will not last long doing long hard pulls. I have no issues in C6 vettes doing E-85 conversions using stock hard lines, simply add the E-85 inline sensor and pumps, sometimes not even pumps depending on application. The only piece I am remotly worried about is the fuel pump sending unit disolving, lol. That would not happen right away of course. Stock ECM for now also, I would like to run PRO-EFI on car but need to develope some type of cam sensor setup. I have high hopes for developing afew things that I believe will be necessary for guys like me that are going to be going outside the usual, even if my personal investment goes nowhere atleast my car will be what I envision it to be. The potential of the LT5 has been tested plenty by many, but I am trying to use those things developed that work great today on something from yesterday. I really like E-85, even with little issues you gain, overall it will be great in the car, cleaner and cooler, as long as the quality hold up at pumps. The big ticket on introducing aftermarket management system is for the nitrous, be alot safer in my mind.

Get notified of new replies

To Wanna go fast

Old 10-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Car is at Coreys, I go down work on it when I have time and now more considering getting close to 1/2 mile event. I am really busy with cars and have less time than I would like to for ZR-1, I do not know enough about LT5 either, which is sad. stock system other than pumps, filter, and injectors for now, and by "now" I mean this winter greater development will be complete. I have been working on a custom set of fuel rails in mastercam. With lots of compression, lots of porting, and big cams the car is likely gonna need a larger fuel tank or i'll be carrying a can when we go race in Mexico. I expect around 9-12 MPG at best; will not last long doing long hard pulls. I have no issues in C6 vettes doing E-85 conversions using stock hard lines, simply add the E-85 inline sensor and pumps, sometimes not even pumps depending on application. The only piece I am remotly worried about is the fuel pump sending unit disolving, lol. That would not happen right away of course. Stock ECM for now also, I would like to run PRO-EFI on car but need to develope some type of cam sensor setup. I have high hopes for developing afew things that I believe will be necessary for guys like me that are going to be going outside the usual, even if my personal investment goes nowhere atleast my car will be what I envision it to be. The potential of the LT5 has been tested plenty by many, but I am trying to use those things developed that work great today on something from yesterday. I really like E-85, even with little issues you gain, overall it will be great in the car, cleaner and cooler, as long as the quality hold up at pumps. The big ticket on introducing aftermarket management system is for the nitrous, be alot safer in my mind.
corey did a lot with the megasquirt. the pro efi is a bit steep in cost

I think a pair of 50 lb injectors and some nice intank pumps will solve the e85 flow, please describe the mods to go e85. I'm going there for my c5 so I might as well run them both that way!

a flex fuel setup on the c4 zr1 would really rock. I'd like to implement it differently so that the dash functions still work but I'm excited to see you taking the plunge. With nitrous, you really want to think about what I'm doing with the Haltech on the C5. I run safeguards on each cyl with an EGT probe. That way if the system ever has a problem, you can shut it down before anything gets damaged and also tune better

check it out!
Old 10-03-2017, 10:11 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
corey did a lot with the megasquirt. the pro efi is a bit steep in cost

I think a pair of 50 lb injectors and some nice intank pumps will solve the e85 flow, please describe the mods to go e85. I'm going there for my c5 so I might as well run them both that way!

a flex fuel setup on the c4 zr1 would really rock. I'd like to implement it differently so that the dash functions still work but I'm excited to see you taking the plunge. With nitrous, you really want to think about what I'm doing with the Haltech on the C5. I run safeguards on each cyl with an EGT probe. That way if the system ever has a problem, you can shut it down before anything gets damaged and also tune better

check it out!
The motor is your basic 14:1 368, ronchy cams from pete, lots of portwork and obvioulsy nitrous, 150 shot is where I am gonna stick it for now, depends on overall performance. Oliver billit rods, CP pistons, Lazano brothers balanced and assembled everything oh and 3.90 gears. I see no reason the car won't be high 500's to the wheels, bonneville car's motor is similar with slightly larger cams and it was close to 600 before the sheetmetal intake. E85 is getting more common here in texas at the pumps so I want to utilize pump race gas. Good e85 here is 1.40-1.50 a gallon, decent e85 is 2.00 plus. Only real unkown is how far I can go on a tank . Make no mistake this car is gonna dog fight some big power cars, but 80-180 is LT5's playground. We shall see anyway, everything is about ready to assemble now so time is drawing near. It will interesting to say the least.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:39 PM
wdo-mkr
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cams

Do you know the specs on your cams or should i ask pete?

Quick Reply: Wanna go fast