C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Is E15 Fuel safe for Our Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I agree with that.

I have my (non-Z 383) turning on at 190...with aux adding in at 205 myself. That's not enough to keep temps at/below 205 in my case. That's why I asked. In my case, I need more fan.

Could be my dbl-row radiator isn't the best OR boring .030" over created that much extra heat.
What temps do you typically run at?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:53 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Without the A/C running, it will stay at stat temp all year round.

WITH the A/C running, it will creep up in the summer....if below 40mph.

I've got the BP4 option (aux fan) that kicks on by 210 (non-stock cylinder head switch). Even after the aux fan kicks on, temps continue to rise a deg/two every minute. I've never let it run (idle) long enough to see how high it will go....but it's made it into the 230s before I bailed and turned it off. (That's only happened once btw).

As long as I get it up above 40mph....temps drop back to outside temp + 100. IOW....If it's 95 outside, summer hwy temp WITH the A/C on will be around 195 (180-stat). If it's 100 out, it'll equalize around 200. So...I'm saying there's not enough cooling to dissipate engine + A/C heat below 40mph.

Everything in front of the radiator is clean.

I've considered it being a product of advanced cam timing, thinner cylinder wall thickness, below-par dual-row aftermarket radiator, or just the need for more "fan". Last summer, I reprogrammed the A/C to shut off above 210-deg. Until I buy bigger fans, at least I don't have to watch temps during the summer months. I'll be the one that gets hot!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Without the A/C running, it will stay at stat temp all year round.

WITH the A/C running, it will creep up in the summer....if below 40mph.

I've got the BP4 option (aux fan) that kicks on by 210 (non-stock cylinder head switch). Even after the aux fan kicks on, temps continue to rise a deg/two every minute. I've never let it run (idle) long enough to see how high it will go....but it's made it into the 230s before I bailed and turned it off. (That's only happened once btw).

As long as I get it up above 40mph....temps drop back to outside temp + 100. IOW....If it's 95 outside, summer hwy temp WITH the A/C on will be around 195 (180-stat). If it's 100 out, it'll equalize around 200. So...I'm saying there's not enough cooling to dissipate engine + A/C heat below 40mph.

Everything in front of the radiator is clean.

I've considered it being a product of advanced cam timing, thinner cylinder wall thickness, below-par dual-row aftermarket radiator, or just the need for more "fan". Last summer, I reprogrammed the A/C to shut off above 210-deg. Until I buy bigger fans, at least I don't have to watch temps during the summer months. I'll be the one that gets hot!
That does not sound too bad. My 96 LT4 runs on the hot side. I installed a Dewitt's aluminum radiator. It was one of the first units that had the extra row. It is a bit thicker and was tricky to install but it works well. I am running the stock stat but what I noticed with the radiator is like you mentioned, idling in the Atlanta heat she will still creep up to that 230 mark but the temp gets pulled down a lot faster now. A cooler stat and getting the fans on sooner would work well. I am not sure how to do that with the 96.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by KJL
That does not sound too bad.
It's not....but the ideal is to maintain lower temps -- for the same reason as this thread: To reduce emissions. Also for longevity. I would even add SOME sources convey more power is delivered at SOMEWHAT lower temps. (Of course, others insist heat is power and higher temps gain ponies).

I try to look at where the factory engineers designed our cars to run....between 180-195. (Reverse vs non-reverse cooling accounts for most/all of that difference AND affects WHERE in the engine hottest coolant temps occur. I feel it useful to aim for that zone 100% of the time -- if possible.)

I think it's a good goal for the point of this thread too.

Quick Reply: Is E15 Fuel safe for Our Cars?