C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Using such low MPH there's no way that either the driven gear or an ERA (The Abbott) will likely help. An Abbott is a little pricey but I've done a couple but not recently, many years ago. Now with the gears and VSS becoming very hard to find or very expensive if you can find them the ERA is going to be the only option.

Dakota Digital SGI ERAs are less expensive I believe and easier to put hands on. Abbott was always about commercial equipment operation.

Here's a link to DD

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd126.htm

Then I guess I am back with either new cats or water injection.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Then I guess I am back with either new cats or water injection.
How many times can you go through the check for the same original fee? The 40 tooth gear is cheap and easy so you maybe buy and try to see what happens. I don't believe I'd pay the fee again for a check but maybe! A conversation with Marc for sure before buying a thing.

Even prepping for a retest is likely very costly. What do you/did you actually do before the original test?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-11-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:37 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
How many times can you go through the check for the same original fee? The 40 tooth gear is cheap and easy so you maybe buy and try to see what happens. I don't believe I'd pay the fee again for a check but maybe! A conversation with Marc for sure before buying a thing.

Even prepping for a retest is likely very costly. What do you/did you actually do before the original test?
Last year all I did was run the CRC product through the system as Marc suggested and used his chip. Didn't work this year. I have exchanged emails with him and have done what he suggested. I will see if I can track down a gear just to see. They only give me 30 days to get a free retest.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

One of the things you can do (or the tester can do) is use a higher gear to achieve the required speed. I was usually on the hairy edge of passing but if he used 3rd gear, he could get the RPM up just high enough and stay below the max speed. Just enough to get it to pass. I always tipped him well too
You could try running spark plugs a couple of ranges cooler than stock.
Are you running the 10% ethanol blend fuel? Run a tank of 100% gas through and test on that. High Nox comes from high combustion temps, which could be from a lean condition.

At least you won't have to play this stupid game much longer...
Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ShawnZR-1
One of the things you can do (or the tester can do) is use a higher gear to achieve the required speed. I was usually on the hairy edge of passing but if he used 3rd gear, he could get the RPM up just high enough and stay below the max speed. Just enough to get it to pass. I always tipped him well too
You could try running spark plugs a couple of ranges cooler than stock.
Are you running the 10% ethanol blend fuel? Run a tank of 100% gas through and test on that. High Nox comes from high combustion temps, which could be from a lean condition.

At least you won't have to play this stupid game much longer...
I am not sure what the blend is, I. am sure it is some blend. I ran a half a tank of premium and 1 gallon of E85. You are spot on regarding gearing. I mentioned that to him but he didn't seem interested in helping me out. Would running lower octane fuel help? I read a lot of claims regarding all sorts of things. not sure what is true or fiction. I will check my plugs as well and see if I can track down a 40 tooth gear...
Old 10-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

I had modded an 84 Xfire years ago and it was always on the edge on the edge of passing emissions on the dyno w sniffer. The guy that would drive it, really didn't know how to drive a manual trans and would end up lugging the motor. Needless to say HC would spike.
They would drive the car in a manner no one else would.

Quick Reply: Tuning Question