C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What's normal engine temp for spirited driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:03 PM
apehair
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's normal engine temp for spirited driving?

Last year I bought a 91 ZR-1 with 12,000 miles. I flushed all systems (cost me nearly $800!!!), changed the oil, and balanced the wheels. Then I started driving it in the twisties here on the Colorado Front Range.

Since the ZR-1 had set all those endurance records, I thought it would handle 30-minute sprints between 4000 and 6000 RPM without breaking a sweat. After all, that's where the fun is! But I noticed that after about 20 minutes my engine temp (the coolant, not the oil), hit the grey line that's about 2/3 of the way toward the end of the dial (don't remember what that temp is). A few particulars:
  • I was not using the A/C.
  • I was taking my turns at about 4000 RPM, accelerating, and shifting at about 6000 RPM, not what I would call pushing the engine, but not cruising, either.
  • My speeds were between 40 and 60 mph most of the time.
  • Engine coolant was full.
  • Oil level was full.
  • I didn't let the engine heat go over the grey "recommended" line. As it approached, I shifted into higher gears and cruised.

I expected the LT5 engine to handle spirited driving for quite a bit longer. Mind you, I did not abuse that engine, I simply drove it the way I thought it was designed to be driven, given that the torque peak is at 5700 RPM.

Does this sound right to you? Could there be a problem with a thermostat or other system? In regular driving, the engine runs quite cool.

Thanks for your help,

ape
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

That temp seems a little low IMHO however what was the outside temps as well? Its possible the Previous owner installed the fans on early mod to keep things cool as well. I would not be concerned. GC
The following users liked this post:
apehair (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:32 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I believe that you get a "scanner" on it to actually confirm the temps and don't rely on the cluster gauge for anything. You can actually access the temps the ECM is seeing using the AC controls to compare. Rely upon the cluster gauges for nearly nothing other than an occasional glance.

if the TACH parks at 0 with KEY-ON but NOT RUNNING you can assume that the tach is reasonably correct. Check that when you use the scanner. RPM can also be checked using the AC controls. It might be interesting to just do comparisons of TEMP and RPM using the AC control.

You have the FSM I'm sure?
apehair (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:34 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

your running too much rpm for the given speeds any engine will heat up some doing that

Last edited by cv67; 10-10-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
your running too much rpm for the given speeds any engine will heat up some doing that
The 24 hour speed/endurance record was set at Stockton, operating within those rpm parameters. Just sayin.

OP: The key point too is the the cluster gauges are notorious for being, lets say, less than precisely accurate. One would need to see what the digital readout was to be sure.

Marc Haibeck provided me with a chip that turns BOTH fans on at 205ºF, and both off again if temps fall below ~ 200ºF. My temps seldom get much more than about 220-225ºF in spirited mountain twisty driving - for what that's worth.

I'm familiar with those roads on the front range. Looking forward to doing them in the Z next summer!
apehair (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 01:20 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

When i first got my 93 temps would creep up to 225-230 even with fans on and stay, I replaced the thermostat and all was good I also went with Marc Haibeck's chip, never see over 205- 210 now.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 10-10-2017 at 01:21 PM.
apehair (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 05:49 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

First verify the accuracy of the gauge.

If the gauge checks out, I would remove the fan shroud and inspect between the back of AC condenser and front of the radiator for debris - leaves, grass clippings, dead rodents, etc...
Also, shine one side of the radiator and see if the light comes through. Pretty much all ZR-1 radiators I have seen were hampered by years of vacuuming the roads.

Last edited by secondchance; 10-10-2017 at 05:51 PM.
apehair (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:14 PM
apehair
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe that you get a "scanner" on it to actually confirm the temps and don't rely on the cluster gauge for anything. You can actually access the temps the ECM is seeing using the AC controls to compare. Rely upon the cluster gauges for nearly nothing other than an occasional glance.

if the TACH parks at 0 with KEY-ON but NOT RUNNING you can assume that the tach is reasonably correct. Check that when you use the scanner. RPM can also be checked using the AC controls. It might be interesting to just do comparisons of TEMP and RPM using the AC control.

You have the FSM I'm sure?
Yes, I have the FSM.

Lots of good suggestions. I've got a temp scanner, but have never gotten it out of the drawer to use it. I'll start doing that, now.

Rick
Old 10-10-2017, 07:17 PM
apehair
Cruising

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
The 24 hour speed/endurance record was set at Stockton, operating within those rpm parameters. Just sayin.

OP: The key point too is the the cluster gauges are notorious for being, lets say, less than precisely accurate. One would need to see what the digital readout was to be sure.

Marc Haibeck provided me with a chip that turns BOTH fans on at 205ºF, and both off again if temps fall below ~ 200ºF. My temps seldom get much more than about 220-225ºF in spirited mountain twisty driving - for what that's worth.

I'm familiar with those roads on the front range. Looking forward to doing them in the Z next summer!
Paul, let me know if and when you come out to to Colorado. We have a couple of informal Corvette groups that get together for rides. I can clue you in and introduce you.

Thanks for the Marc Haibeck reference. Looking into it ...

Rick
Old 10-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by apehair
Paul, let me know if and when you come out to to Colorado. We have a couple of informal Corvette groups that get together for rides. I can clue you in and introduce you.

Thanks for the Marc Haibeck reference. Looking into it ...

Rick
IN FACT there is a committee putting together plans for a Rocky Mountain Run next summer.

One of the priorities is gathering data on those very roads with regard to scenery, road condition, etc., and a modestly priced hotel to serve as our base of operation for 2-3 nights.

I'm on the committee. PM me and we'll see what shakes out!

Get notified of new replies

To What's normal engine temp for spirited driving?

Quick Reply: What's normal engine temp for spirited driving?