C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Samco Hoses...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 12:16 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Samco Hoses...

Anybody got a set of Samco hoses they are willing to part with? Mine must be close to 20 years old... time to replace them before I have one fail.

I prefer they be red in color.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:09 AM
whichvette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Samco

Looks like Amazon has the set for 160
Old 11-11-2017, 10:39 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I figure if my factory 20 year old hoses were still good at 20 years, should the Samco outlast them?
Old 11-12-2017, 12:34 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I figure if my factory 20 year old hoses were still good at 20 years, should the Samco outlast them?
No way of really knowing how long they will hold up until they blow. Why take a chance after 20 years? A little preventative maintenance can go a long way toward preserving a glitch free ride year after year.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:51 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

True, but I was under the impression silicone hoses won't fail unless you cut them. I have Samco on my LT1(not an LT5, I know) and to be honest, I just like how they look. Best of luck on your search
Old 11-12-2017, 01:01 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
True, but I was under the impression silicone hoses won't fail unless you cut them. I have Samco on my LT1(not an LT5, I know) and to be honest, I just like how they look. Best of luck on your search
LT1 or LT5 makes little difference... heat cycles and cold cycles tell the long term durability story... so... drive on and enjoy... and do your preventative maintenance when you think the time is right and you are motivated to go through the hassle of doing it... on my car... its a painfully slow process. I do it anyway because I love my car!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrxmax
LT1 or LT5 makes little difference... heat cycles and cold cycles tell the long term durability story... so... drive on and enjoy... and do your preventative maintenance when you think the time is right and you are motivated to go through the hassle of doing it... on my car... its a painfully slow process. I do it anyway because I love my car!

good question on how long they will last! Jerry now has the hoses that don't have the durn samco letters all over them

I'm going to upgrade the fans soon so if you want my samcos, let me know

for 160, I'd put new ones on. I had an old ford guy tell me that the silicone hoses will "last longer than the engine" Those hoses last and don't break down like the rubber, how long???, that's a tootsie roll question!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:34 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
good question on how long they will last! Jerry now has the hoses that don't have the durn samco letters all over them

I'm going to upgrade the fans soon so if you want my samcos, let me know

for 160, I'd put new ones on. I had an old ford guy tell me that the silicone hoses will "last longer than the engine" Those hoses last and don't break down like the rubber, how long???, that's a tootsie roll question!!!
Don't know how old your Samco's are, however, my spare parts bin can always use spares because you never know when a defect will appear out of no where.

I have to admit... I did have an elbow hose on the drivers side start leaking and I replaced it with new rubber hose.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zrxmax
Don't know how old your Samco's are, however, my spare parts bin can always use spares because you never know when a defect will appear out of no where.

I have to admit... I did have an elbow hose on the drivers side start leaking and I replaced it with new rubber hose.
the samcos are a definite PITA to install. I've had some "coolant weep" ever since I installed mine and the leak is getting annoying

I'm going to put some dewitts upgraded fans in the car clean er up and probably go with Jerry's hoses as I'm not a fan of the samco logo

the other problem is the inlet duct, "pooches out" just a bit straining with all that cfm and rubs ever so slightly on the hood

just enough to leave a little black streak

that being said, the hoses ARE awesome and popping a coolant hose is a real problem. the rubber stuff IS getting old if you haven't changed them. just like tires, hoses are a service item.

with the silicone stuff though, that interval is WAY longer.

My bet is the samco stuff or mitsu silicone hoses will outlast me.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

the samcos are a definite PITA to install. I've had some "coolant weep" ever since I installed mine and the leak is getting annoying

I'm going to put some dewitts upgraded fans in the car clean er up and probably go with Jerry's hoses as I'm not a fan of the samco logo

the other problem is the inlet duct, "pooches out" just a bit straining with all that cfm and rubs ever so slightly on the hood

just enough to leave a little black streak

that being said, the hoses ARE awesome and popping a coolant hose is a real problem. the rubber stuff IS getting old if you haven't changed them. just like tires, hoses are a service item.

with the silicone stuff though, that interval is WAY longer.

My bet is the samco stuff or mitsu silicone hoses will outlast me.
Only 2 hoses are a pain... the water pump hose and the lower radiator hose... the rest aren't hard at all. I have an RD camber brace and that has to come out and its also a pain to thread the bolts going in or out.

As a side note watch your wires under the battery that feed your fans. Mine deteriorated to the point of having to replace them. Its seems that area under the battery is a corrosive area for wire and insulation.

I have no idea why because I have run 2 optima batteries over the last 14 years and didn't think they emitted anything hostile to the wiring.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Leave it to me to brag about a part. I was driving the LSV yesterday (bad day) and the upper hose coming off the engine split and dumped the coolant. I saw the low coolant light come on and the "death plume" rise from the hood and pulled off into an industrial park. At least it was easy to get to! Pulling the LSV on the lift the ramp caught on the front fascia and gave it a nice tear. I almost fainted. Oh well it will all fix.

sheesh!!!
Old 11-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Leave it to me to brag about a part. I was driving the LSV yesterday (bad day) and the upper hose coming off the engine split and dumped the coolant. I saw the low coolant light come on and the "death plume" rise from the hood and pulled off into an industrial park. At least it was easy to get to! Pulling the LSV on the lift the ramp caught on the front fascia and gave it a nice tear. I almost fainted. Oh well it will all fix.

sheesh!!!
Hmmm... that is what happened to mine... right in the middle of the outside radius it split. Easy fix as you said.

My conclusion... this is the area inside the hose that is getting the brunt of the heated coolant flowing directly at it from the coolant tubes.

It is also the area where the hose is probably the thinnest due to the hot stretching that occurred when the hose was heated and formed.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

I ordered a new set of mitsus and will give them a try

I'm going to service the cooling stack as soon as all the leaves are gone

anyone have a spare 90? I found stock hose and cut it up to get the 90 deg elbow so I can keep driving the car (I'm off right now!!) and it must be slightly too big inner diameter as it leaks.

thanks!
Old 11-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

I ordered a new set of mitsus and will give them a try

I'm going to service the cooling stack as soon as all the leaves are gone

anyone have a spare 90? I found stock hose and cut it up to get the 90 deg elbow so I can keep driving the car (I'm off right now!!) and it must be slightly too big inner diameter as it leaks.

thanks!
I would be happy to send you a 90 degree elbow in the correct size. Its black and made from conventional hose materials, however, it won't leak!

Pm me with the address and I can get it out today...
Old 11-30-2017, 04:24 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

thanks for the offer but the old LSV is running on a hacked up rubber hose

sheesh they wanted 40 online. I found an S hose off a whatever and cut in half and it's perfect for this application and cost me 12

the mitsus are 160 which is a pretty good deal
Old 11-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

thanks for the offer but the old LSV is running on a hacked up rubber hose

sheesh they wanted 40 online. I found an S hose off a whatever and cut in half and it's perfect for this application and cost me 12

the mitsus are 160 which is a pretty good deal
Any hose that fits without leaking is a great hose! I will be upgrading soon... maybe Santa will bring me a set!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

this is one time the cost went down not up

I think the samco set was 224 on sale

I had some "coolant weep" smell ever since I put them on so the radiator is coming out for service, upgraded fans going in, and the new mitsu hoses

meantime I have the old dayco hose one there and finally got the lt5 to "burp" and get the engine back full of coolant

I put the rear of the car up in the air and had to waste a bit of coolant as when it bubbled up I popped the rad cap off (not tight)

took a few tries to get her full but she finally settled down
Old 12-03-2017, 11:13 PM
cadillac531
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a brand new set that I would be willing to let go. They're black though. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks.
Constantine
Old 12-22-2017, 05:22 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

well the mitsus came and look good. I'm going to pull the rad and put some upgraded fans on the car at the same time

the zr1 is getting some runs before the winter nap

we had one small snow and salt already tomorrow it rains and we'll have snow maybe again on Christmas

have a merry one.

Get notified of new replies

To Samco Hoses...

Quick Reply: Samco Hoses...