C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Fineally got that damn shifter in the car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:19 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Fineally got that damn shifter in the car.

What a pain in the *** and this was on a 4 post lift. I can’t imagine you guys doing this with the car on jack stands and laying on your back. Once I got the shifter out of the housing the main pin would not go back into the housing,can’t explain that one so I buzzed the ends on a belt sander. While I had the exhaust off I installed my ZF DOC beam plates. Not too sure about that huge Hurst shift ball,might need some time to get used to it. I’m pretty sure that his is the same shift ball used on the 2001 Z28 when the Hurst Shifter option was ordered.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:50 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Wasn’t that fun...lol! Just did mine but the trans was out. Piece of cake that way. Did my first one on my back on stands, took most of the day, cursing all the way. Worth it in the long run though. Just did C-Beam Plates as well. Did you have any alignment issues? I didn’t, but there was no adjustability in the C-Beam once the bolts were in.
H

Last edited by ccmano; 11-30-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Jeff,
Have the same shifter **** and it has been on the car for many years now!
You will get used to it and will never want to go back.
Everyone who sees it makes favorable comments about how good it looks!
The work is done, now go out and enjoy it!

Marty
Old 12-01-2017, 12:49 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by ccmano
Wasn’t that fun...lol! Just did mine but the trans was out. Piece of cake that way. Did my first one on my back on stands, took most of the day, cursing all the way. Worth it in the long run though. Just did C-Beam Plates as well. Did you have any alignment issues? I didn’t, but there was no adjustability in the C-Beam once the bolts were in.
H
No alignment issues,not even 15 minutes to get it done. Thanks Marty,the pool ball shift ball is starting to grow me me.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

You're gonna love the shifter. My wife's Z has one and it indexes very well - much better than the stock shifter (lost a couple races after stabbing into 5th from 2nd with the stock shifter...)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:53 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

H
Can't imagine that job with the trans installed! Much easier with it out. Agree with Hans for sure.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:32 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by jss06c6
Can't imagine that job with the trans installed! Much easier with it out. Agree with Hans for sure.
There’s a guy on YouTube laying on his back under the car doing this job.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:21 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
There’s a guy on YouTube laying on his back under the car doing this job.
must be a younger man! Or a monkey with double jointed arms and hands.. hats off to you guys that can pull this off without throwing any wrenches at the wall!
Old 12-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by jss06c6
must be a younger man! Or a monkey with double jointed arms and hands.. hats off to you guys that can pull this off without throwing any wrenches at the wall!
The damndest thing was the shifter came right out of the housing but when it came time to put it back in the pin that goes through the shifter was about 1/8 of an inch too long. How does that happen? Same part came out of the car but grew 1/8 of an inch.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 AM
ccmano
Drifting

The damndest thing was the shifter came right out of the housing but when it came time to put it back in the pin that goes through the shifter was about 1/8 of an inch too long. How does that happen? Same part came out of the car but grew 1/8 of an inch.
Somebody was in there before you. (not a Virgin, lol) The spring ring that holds it in only works if the pin is shorter than the rod it joins together.
H
Old 12-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Somebody was in there before you. (not a Virgin, lol) The spring ring that holds it in only works if the pin is shorter than the rod it joins together.
H
What is the spring ring the pin and the rod you’re referring to? It’s been a few weeks now but I remember driving out a small pin and reusing it and not the replacement that was in the parts kit for the shifter. Can’t understand how the thing can lift out of the housing but wouldn’t go back in because it was too long.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:02 PM
ccmano
Drifting

What is the spring ring the pin and the rod you’re referring to? It’s been a few weeks now but I remember driving out a small pin and reusing it and not the replacement that was in the parts kit for the shifter. Can’t understand how the thing can lift out of the housing but wouldn’t go back in because it was too long.
Yeah that’s not good. If you recall the pin hole is vertical. The pin holds the actuator shaft of the shifter to the transmission shaft. The pin hole and subsequently the pin rides in a groove on the shaft with the pin designed to be shorter than the diameter of the shaft. The spring ring then rides in the groove around the shaft holding the pin in place. Without the ring the pin will fall out. Not sure I said that clearly.

To remove you expand the ring out of the groove and slide it down the shaft slightly. The pin can then be punched out. To reinstall the pin slides into the hole to the point where both ends are below or flush with the surface of the shaft at the groove. You then slide the spring ring into the groove which holds the pin in place.

Here the best picture I could find.
H

Last edited by ccmano; 12-13-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fineally got that damn shifter in the car.

Quick Reply: Fineally got that damn shifter in the car.