C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Coil on plug LT5

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM
appelen
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Coil on plug LT5

Looking to install coil on plug on an LT5 engine, searching for a part application that will work on an LT5, even better a part number, I appreciate any info, Thanks, Al
Old 12-22-2017, 01:49 PM
C4Fanatic
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock Auto...this is the page for my '91

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...tion+coil,7060
Old 12-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Well keep me posted because I have wanted to do this for some time. In fact I had been able to start and run the motor for about 45sec before the ignition fuse was overpowered by the coils and blew out. Idled nicely.
However, the use of CnP or CoP requires a significant
modification because of the unique LT-5 ignition control module and 9 slot reluctor cast into the LT-5 crank. Use of a different ECM entails isues w CCM comms.
U could take a look at torquehead.com. They have a complete upgrade to CnP for LT1/4 motors eliminating the Opti. And they have comms w the CCM.
U should ping them and let them know of the interest. I have been letting the owner know that there is demand out there. Maybe if enough of us do that he will understand better what I have been telling him.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:40 PM
appelen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Well keep me posted because I have wanted to do this for some time. In fact I had been able to start and run the motor for about 45sec before the ignition fuse was overpowered by the coils and blew out. Idled nicely.
However, the use of CnP or CoP requires a significant
modification because of the unique LT-5 ignition control module and 9 slot reluctor cast into the LT-5 crank. Use of a different ECM entails isues w CCM comms.
U could take a look at torquehead.com. They have a complete upgrade to CnP for LT1/4 motors eliminating the Opti. And they have comms w the CCM.
U should ping them and let them know of the interest. I have been letting the owner know that there is demand out there. Maybe if enough of us do that he will understand better what I have been telling him.
Thanks for reply, I will get in touch with them and hopefully they can come up with something that works, I have one original 90 Z, and also a 57 corvette with LT5 and i am running a MS 3pro and LS coils and that works pretty good and I use a ms trigger wheel on the balancer and we are building a second C1 with an LT5 which we will use ms3 pro as well, the two cars with ms3 pro i think will be pretty straight forward, so i am looking for coils that will plug in to the LT5, and get the original Z with cop would be great, i will post my findings.
Thanks, Al
Old 12-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

IMO, stock ECM is just fine for LT5. No need for aftermarket units.
Eliminating the ignition module is ok IF u don’t need to communicate w CCM. Otherwise, its an issue.
Torquehead seems to have figured that out using a 24x reluctor wheel and 411 PCM for C4 LT motors. Calibration wise the LT5 is not that much different. I’d rather have OEM equipment anyway.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:35 PM
appelen
Instructor

IMO, stock ECM is just fine for LT5. No need for aftermarket units.
Eliminating the ignition module is ok IF u don’t need to communicate w CCM. Otherwise, its an issue.
Torquehead seems to have figured that out using a 24x reluctor wheel and 411 PCM for C4 LT motors. Calibration wise the LT5 is not that much different. I’d rather have OEM equipment anyway.
Dominic, i totally agree with you concerning the stock ecm my 90 will stay with the stock ecm , maybe cop if that will work out, on the restomods we are building ms is the easy way to go, because of the availability of the stock ecm and wiring since do not need dash feed and egr etc, and it is a fun projects, my 57 runs great. Thanks Al.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Al,

Agree on the resto-mods. Are u finding motors that do not come w either ther ECM or the ignition module?
I’d like to see a pic of where u mounted coils for CnP.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:00 AM
appelen
Instructor

Al,

Agree on the resto-mods. Are u finding motors that do not come w either ther ECM or the ignition module?
I’d like to see a pic of where u mounted coils for CnP.
Dominic, in my 57 i have a crate engine which did not come with an ecm but with the ign module, and we have 2 additional engines and one ecm which I will keep as a spare for my 90, on my 57 the LS coils are mounted under the plenum, and will will be the first one i want convert to cop, i can post a pic but you can't see the coils.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:40 AM
appelen
Instructor

Originally Posted by appelen
Dominic, in my 57 i have a crate engine which did not come with an ecm but with the ign module, and we have 2 additional engines and one ecm which I will keep as a spare for my 90, on my 57 the LS coils are mounted under the plenum, and will will be the first one i want convert to cop, i can post a pic but you can't see the coils.
As you can see no coils in sight but love do cop
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by appelen
As you can see no coils in sight but love do cop
Al,

Could u describe if there is a significant or discernible difference in how the LT5 runs w CnP? If so, how is it different or even better in your opinion?
I would take advantage of shorter cable lengths by putting them through the runners of the plenum.
When I tried CnP, I actually hung them off the plenum. I could see an istallation of the coils on the outsied of the plenum, w each one being close to the corresponding cylinder. Given how much smaller the coils have gotten, They may not get in the way. What would also be interesting is finding COP that actually fits into the spark plug well. I have been told that CnP puts out more energy though.

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 12-23-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:27 PM
appelen
Instructor

Al,

Could u describe if there is a significant or discernible difference in how the LT5 runs w CnP? If so, how is it different or even better in your opinion?
I would take advantage of shorter cable lengths by putting them through the runners of the plenum.
When I tried CnP, I actually hung them off the plenum. I could see an istallation of the coils on the outsied of the plenum, w each one being close to the corresponding cylinder. Given how much smaller the coils have gotten, They may not get in the way. What would also be interesting is finding COP that actually fits into the spark plug well. I have been told that CnP puts out more energy though.
I don't see any real difference maybe a little better throttle response but that could be other things as well, I have light flywheel and 4.11 rear gear in my 57 so it's difficult to compere the two, and since I decided to ms3 i removed all orginal LT5 ignition components under the plenum so the only LT5 part that i use is the cam sensor, first i did run the plug wires thru the plenum but i did not like the look and since the next step will be cop so i rerouted them, and yes the late model coils are so much smaller and more powerful ,so the hunt for cop that fits the LT5 plug well is on, I read somewhere that there was a Saturn cop that would be close but no year or model so i am trying to find out what will work.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm excited to hear you are doing a MS3 Very nice system

There quite a few nice features. Raptor did a PNP MS harness but as Dominic mentioned it doesn't take care of interfaces for the mileage and security system.

My holy grail is a TT ZR-1 but I would love to get more info from you as the project progresses.

The stock ignition is good up to at least 700 hp NA and LPE ran it on boosted cars up to 1100 hp so the factory ECM and coils are pretty good stuff.

We're wanting to back fit an LT5 into c3 and the MS3 looks like a great solution.

Are you going to drive all the injectors all the time? On the factory ecm we run em both until under 1% tps and then cutover to 1 injector

WB tuning will be great! and the MS3 pro is getting better all the time.

I happen to have a saturn sky redline and the coil looks like it might work. There was a gent that posted that merc marine had one that fit great, all their new stuff is cop.

Last edited by Rkreigh; 12-24-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:27 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I'm excited to hear you are doing a MS3 Very nice system

There quite a few nice features. Raptor did a PNP MS harness but as Dominic mentioned it doesn't take care of interfaces for the mileage and security system.

My holy grail is a TT ZR-1 but I would love to get more info from you as the project progresses.

The stock ignition is good up to at least 700 hp NA and LPE ran it on boosted cars up to 1100 hp so the factory ECM and coils are pretty good stuff.

We're wanting to back fit an LT5 into c3 and the MS3 looks like a great solution.

Are you going to drive all the injectors all the time? On the factory ecm we run em both until under 1% tps and then cutover to 1 injector

WB tuning will be great! and the MS3 pro is getting better all the time.

I happen to have a saturn sky redline and the coil looks like it might work. There was a gent that posted that merc marine had one that fit great, all their new stuff is cop.
Ron,

A number of us are pushing the AMP guys (MS3Pro) to reopen the ZR-1 ECM project. Dominic has a good dialog going with the right folks at Torqhead, LTD. Seems to me that each of these companies have NRE expense recovery that could be enhanced by adding the LT-5 to their ECM platform. Torqhead appears to have solved the LT-1 / LT-4 CCM and engine management puzzle, but not the LT-5 engine management. AMP looks like the MS3Pro handles the engine management, but no CCM interface. I spoke with the AMP guys at PRI early this month. They indicated they were willing to "dust off" the ZR-1 project if they could get some help with the CCM coms. They further indicated that they had identified 3 potential leads for this at PRI. I passed along the Torqhead website for their perusal. They (Matt) responded immediately and said they would add this to their solution path.

I don't need either of these for my setup, having used TunerPRO RT and Moate's interface along with real time WB data logging to tune my '91. Works perfectly. However, my son and I are seriously looking at using my '91 to create a TT setup. For that, I will definitely want to use OBDII tuning tools (notably HP Tuners). A TT setup may also require an improved clutch setup. My son's TT C-5, running 403 CI is putting over 1,300 hp to the ground and he's pushing the clutch setups available in the C5 (bell housing is shorter than C6, so triple disks are out and modified twin disks are right at the edge when torque approaches 1,300 lbft.)

Just passing along that there are a number of us LT-5 guys pushing the edge to find a possible solution for seriously modified LT-5 platforms..

Steve

Last edited by jss06c6; 12-27-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:32 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

https://www.full-race.com/store/borg...fr-7163-turbo/

Tight, all in one package. Will make installations much less involved regarding all relevant piping.. Plenty of space where header collectors are now in my '91. Would build custom exhaust manifolds.. Just food for thought..
Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Steve, there was previous member, Ron Hanselman, who went down the TT road. Even started a company called Raptor. For some reason, I believe it was tuning, they never finished the project. I believe he is in Texas now, last I heard. He might be a good source for you if you decide the commercialize your TT project. Not sure what Ron is up to these days. A search of previous posts should find a reference. He does check in here and over at ZR1.net from time to time.
H
Old 12-27-2017, 10:55 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ccmano
Steve, there was previous member, Ron Hanselman, who went down the TT road. Even started a company called Raptor. For some reason, I believe it was tuning, they never finished the project. I believe he is in Texas now, last I heard. He might be a good source for you if you decide the commercialize your TT project. Not sure what Ron is up to these days. A search of previous posts should find a reference. He does check in here and over at ZR1.net from time to time.
H
Thanks very much Hans! Hope you had a great Christmas and wishing you a joyous New Year..
Old 12-27-2017, 11:17 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jss06c6
Thanks very much Hans! Hope you had a great Christmas and wishing you a joyous New Year..
Same to you and your family Steve.

Here is the old website for Raptor.LLC

http://www.raptorllc.net/LT5.htm

H

Get notified of new replies

To Coil on plug LT5

Quick Reply: Coil on plug LT5